jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL Best tailgate table? IMG_2627

Another vote for Outback Adventures. Installed mine this week and immediately took it out into the dirt for a rattle check. Not even a squeak, totally silent. Install is easy and whole product is extremely well made. Perfect size for a Coleman-like stove and can easily carry the weight of that and my cast iron.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
My RockSlide table did rattle so I attached rubber bumpers (the little ones that you put on kitchen cabinets).

It has nearly 3x the surface area of the typical one piece fold down tailgate table.

I liked the look of the OutBack Adventures table which really has the appearance of suitability for food prep and cooking. But I didn’t like having that large of a cutting board being cantilevered out from the main table. Also, I did not want to have an exposed cutting board being integral to the table. After food prep, I like to put my cutting board away in a storage container or sack depending on the situation.

In addition to eating/cooking, I use my tailgate table as a light duty workbench and equipment prep area and I’m not going to be tossing dirty equipment or non-food-safe chemicals onto the cutting board. Therefore the versatility of the RockSlide table made it the winner for me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best tailgate table? 13CE0427-73B7-472D-8C3F-BAC84AB333CE

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Another +1 on the outback adventure, fit and finish are great.

Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Another plug for the Outback Adventure table. I’ve had mine for two years and it’s rock solid. Great piece of equipment.

B5285ECA-2CEB-4AFE-82EE-4D3AED4FFC56.jpeg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at options and the Rough Country is only $80 and the others range from $160-$500. For the price you can't beat $80. Are the others better? I like the Outback with the cutting board but at $360 that seems way too much.
As in 99.99% of all things Jeep parts, you get what you pay for.

Rough Country products are not well known for their superior engineering, design, and function. Buyer beware.....but it's your money!

Sponsored

dfunk72

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
Rough Country products are not well known for their superior engineering, design, and function. Buyer beware.....but it's your money!
I certainly understand getting what you pay for. I'm pretty new to Jeep mods and didn't know anything about this brand. I'll probably consider just saving a little more for the Outback.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
There is no "best" tailgate table. Only the best for your use.

I use a Frontrunner table; I love it:
Jeep Wrangler JL Best tailgate table? 20210315_153341

But I cook a lot, and I took a while to customize it to my use. I also got it because it is stout enough to support my dog.

If you just want an easy one to hold a few brewskies, the Mopar one is probably the best easy install and $ for value. It might even be under warranty!

Rockstar has a lot of surface area, and two levels, but I've heard of rattle problems. (Disclaimer: most any rattle can be corrected with rubber shims)

So what are you planning on using it for, OP? That will get you better suggestions.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Outback adventures is the table to get if you only want a table w/ cutting board. While I haven’t seen one in person, my experience with American Adventure Lab would make me assume theirs is pretty sweet too.

If you want the bees knees Expedition Essentials makes one, ExoTable, that has a cutting board, upper shelf and stores a Cook Partner stove. They’ve added features and little pads here and there to stop any rattling.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best tailgate table? ACC887D8-90AE-4FC9-A8F6-0EE89B2508B6

Jeep Wrangler JL Best tailgate table? 93453F36-3CB3-4955-ABD4-53DCA38E7DCE

Last edited:

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
There is no "best" tailgate table. Only the best for your use.

I use a Frontrunner table; I love it:
Jeep Wrangler JL Best tailgate table? 93453F36-3CB3-4955-ABD4-53DCA38E7DCE

But I cook a lot, and I took a while to customize it to my use. I also got it because it is stout enough to support my dog.

If you just want an easy one to hold a few brewskies, the Mopar one is probably the best easy install and $ for value. It might even be under warranty!

Rockstar has a lot of surface area, and two levels, but I've heard of rattle problems. (Disclaimer: most any rattle can be corrected with rubber shims)

So what are you planning on using it for, OP? That will get you better suggestions.
I really like how that opens in towards the cargo area, I would imagine it is much easier to take some of the weight off of the tail gate and shelf that way. Do the other slider tables, like Outback Advntures open that way?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I really like how that opens in towards the cargo area, I would imagine it is much easier to take some of the weight off of the tail gate and shelf that way. Do the other slider tables, like Outback Advntures open that way?
Is your user name from "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"? That's an awesome song.

Relatedly, that table can also swing both ways. It comes with built-in stops for left or right-hand operation, and to prevent it from pulling out too far.

I took out the stop so that the table can go either way, be completely removed for ease of cleaning, and for use as a tray. I do not know if other brands can slide either way or be removed.

I've mentioned it before, and can't recommend sliding in towards the jeep for enough. It rests perfectly on the cabin floor, providing excellent additional support. I can put 5 gallons of water, (40 lbs) a stove, and sundry cooking items on it, no problem.

Or like I said, a little(ish) dog. Easier to clean than carpet. It was the highest-load rated table I could find at the time; it uses brackets instead of cables, but is fairly heavy. I also got it for $170 back when.

If you slide a table out away from the jeep, you put it further away from the fulcrum of the tailgate hinge, reducing stability and increasing the wobble factor of everything.
A gentle nudge will topple those silly e-z pour, upside-down condiment squeeze bottles. Sliding it inwards makes everthing much more stable, better protects from wind and all of your napkins from blowing away, and provides a stop preventing the tailgate from closing accidentally. It might be less photogenic?

Everyone, slide your tables inwards!

(Disclaimer: Mounting it originally was a wee bit wonky, so I modified it later, and the bottom of the assembly slightly smushes the pull loop of the flip-up cargo lid. Therefore, this, and other tables, probably won't play well with some of the edge-to-edge rubber cargo liners)
Sponsored