Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I'd go out and run the Shafer Switchbacks and out on Potash Rd.
This is a very beautiful set of trails with the thrill of big drop off. Not challenging, but still if you are not use to driving on the edge, it will provide plenty of thrill. Also takes you out to where they filmed a scene from the movie Theme & Louise. Nice overlooks of the Colorado River and if you go in from the bottom to the top route, Go in the late afternoon so you can catch the sunset and star gaze from the Island in the Sky.

To clarify, I would take Potash Rd to Shafer Switchbacks.

Expect views like this...

Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? 1616065977280

Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? 1616066014834

Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? 1616066046847

Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? 1616066082476
Sponsored

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys 2.0 4D
If you see anything interesting I can snap a pic of the specifics.

20210317_150753.jpg
What kind of book is that ? I'm interested doing some trails , maybe this year , as a newbee with a 2020 4 door Willys 2.0 ltr...

Too quick too ask ...... it's mentioned a few posts higher .... sorry

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Having just passed through solo and running a few trails, I gotta say Hell's Revenge, or Fins & Things, or both are must-do and not at all difficult. There are some optional challenges on both, but the experience of driving up the slick rock fins and feeling the immense grip on the inclines is so much fun. Of the three I did, Poison Spider was probably the most rewarding but that one dips its toes into more challenging territory with some waterfall type stuff to navigate.

Hell's is probably the more rewarding between it and Fins - I saw quite a few stock JLUs navigating it without issue when I was out there. It's just one of those places you can go in a Jeep and be absolutely awe struck by its capabilities.

Adding a couple pics:
Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? 9BE2206D-C685-41AA-8A54-17D318EC81B4_1_102_a
Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? 8CA29E4E-E356-4BB8-9DCC-F0C9CC1C350B_1_102_o

Last edited:

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Those Wells books are good. Anyone interested would also probably like traildamage.com - 12 bux a year now, but worth it - gps tracks, much more granular and accurate trail ratings than anywhere else (literally) and lots of video, pix, etc. The most current and detailed info will be for Wells' "Moderate" and up trails. I did a search and noticed others have mentioned this site a few times as well.

SGTZn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 F250 Platinum
For an easy trail I would suggest, Onion Creek. Great scenery and fun for the kids. They get to count the numerous creek crossings ( around 26 ). Would also second Shafer Trail, we usually start on top, and go to Musselman Arch to have lunch and go back. Remember, you need a permit to drive Shafer Trail. You can get it online or at visitors center. It’s free. Pictures are from last weekend on Fins & Things.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? DD5D4B2A-3F6A-44DB-8F55-9C160105EC16
Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? 5D5B77AB-2195-4FAE-80E3-08BE8087DAA4

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
This is a good suggestion - check out Grandview point as well. If you add in a trip UP Long Canyon from Potash Road, instead of taking 313 off 191, that adds a little spice and scenery, depending on road conditions. If you have all day and the energy, check out Deadhorse point - an out and back - along the way - as well. Deadhorse will look down upon the Potash Road that you're about to drive, and the final scene location for Thelma and Louise is right there as well.
I was thinking this as well but it would probably be a long day.
Drive up long canyon, go by gemini bridges, drive on into the park and back down schafer trail. In the park you could drive to the big viewpoint, or go into dead horse point and see their viewpoint. If this was too much for one day you could do long canyon and gemini bridges one day, then do both parks another day. Really it would take maybe 3 weeks to just hit the high points in Moab although you can do a good sampling in a full week.

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
Fins and things and hells revenge. My wife did fins and things when we went to Moab after buying her sport. I'd put rubicon springs and shocks on it and 33's. She had never driven off road and drove all of it with me spotting once in awhile.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? MoabJee

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Gemini Bridges
Long Canyon
Onion Creek
Fins and Things is more moderate.
Court House
Definitely invest in the book pictured earlier.

JeepKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys, previous 80 CJ5
Occupation
retired, rewired
We ran the Gemini Bridges Trail with our stock ‘21 JLU-Willys last fall. Went from east to west, off 191. Thoroughly enjoyed it and the views. Little bit of everything to ride through and on the easy side which suited me, still learning. Would love to have done more, but with all the hiking and sites we visited, some of the trails dropped out. Did have fun out in back section of Arches on the mud/gravel Salt Valley Rd, easy, again savoring the remote quiet, wildlife and terrain, no crowds. Off that is also a nice trail to run that goes by Tower Arch if memory serves. We used the book too, recommend it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beginner trail suggestions in Moab? View recent photos

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Gemini Bridges
Long Canyon
Onion Creek
Fins and Things is more moderate.
Court House
Definitely invest in the book pictured earlier.
I'll add Hurrah Pass, Willow Springs Road into Arches National Park, side trips to Eye of Whale arch and Tower (hope I'm remembering correctly) Arch, the road and switchbacks down Mineral Canyon to near the Green River and back up.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure to check out the West Valley Jeep Road to West Salt Valley Jeep Road. If you want to get away from the crowds in Arches this is a pretty good bet. You'll have no trouble in any Wrangler. Bring water and make sure you top off your tank in town before heading out.

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
Looks identical to mine. I have those same wheels but mine are silver.
They're from a JK, that jeep died an early death a pickup pulled out in front of my wife and she t-boned it. We had to go to South Dakota from Calif to find another Punk'n.
Sponsored