First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I plan on doing my first 5 tire rotation in a month or so. I've put the spare up on the back 2x now. First time I rolled it up on my stock wheels and tires that were stacked behind where I put a floor jack under the bottom of 2.

The 2nd time, I could pick up the wheel high enough, but I could never see the holes/lugs to line it up. I needed to get help from my wife. She helped hold the tire in position and line it up. Even if she only was lifting about 30 lbs, it helped alot.

If I need to use the spare when wheeling, I plan on just putting the flat tire in the back, dare i say "trunk"...
Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Agreed, that's my problem - can lift it, but I can't see where it is versus the holes and end up scratching up my camera mount.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I do not do a 5 tire rotation-I like having equal tread on each tire or at least each axle plus when it's time for new tires, I just buy 4 tires and only 4 road hazard certs. However I have had my spare off several times during the installation of my Warn Elite rear bumper. First during bumper install and alignment and then fitting the proper thickness of wheel spacer needed for the tailgate to shut properly, after a bit of trial and error I found that a 5/16" wheel spacer is perfect...for the way my bumper fits to Jeep. With the spare aired down to 30PSI, the tire just brushes the back rear of the bumper step, camera works fine and you do not have to alter/file down the camera bezel.
I am just running 35" KO2's on stock rims and using heavy leather work gloves, it is not really that hard to lift onto tire carrier...That said, I feel for you guys with larger and heavier tires and wheels-must be a real ball breaker and another reason to re-think doing 5 tire rotations...

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I always do a 5 tire rotation. Some people point out that the tires last 20% longer this way but I never thought about it like that. It's just the routine that gets done every 5,000 miles, along with a synthetic oil change.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
the good news is that teh camera comes off easy and it can probably be directly ordered(I hope).

I had to disconnect mine when I did my tire carrier and it's just a little thing,

Sponsored

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
To get my heavy spare on in my garage, I balance it on my 3.5 ton floor jack. That plus the Mopar orange jack height adjustment is enough to get my tire nearly lined up with the Teraflex spare carrier. If I had to do it on the trail, I can probably get it done BUT would prefer some help, like when I helped a club member with his 37".
This is what I do as well. The 3.5 ton floor jack from harbor freight is just barely lower than my LOD tire carrier. So it’s easy to lift it and get it all longed up while on the jack then just roll the jack to slide it on.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I see no downside to doing a 5 tire rotation; am I missing something? Discount Tire rotates and balances them every 5K. Anecdotal, but I cannot help but think that I am extending the life of the tires.

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR WHITE, 2016 KL WHITE LTD, 2014 YAMAHA SX190
This is what I do as well. The 3.5 ton floor jack from harbor freight is just barely lower than my LOD tire carrier. So it’s easy to lift it and get it all longed up while on the jack then just roll the jack to slide it on.
For those of us with hard top hoists you could use that to lift the tire and guide it on. I didn’t rotate my spare with the stock tires, but now I upgraded to 35’s and plan on rotating them In. I’ll take them off and have the 5th in the back so the tire shop can rotate it in and I’ll manage the re-mounting to the gate.

Last edited:

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I have a trailer hitch and a extended drop. So I balanced the spare on the extension. With 315/75/17 KO2’s, I only had to pick it up about 1” to 2”. I made sure the holes would pretty much line up before I lifted it to the carrier.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
You guys are making my 5'10" 160# 52yo body feel better about it's ability to get a 37 spare on and off my LOD carrier.

It was one of my big fears going in but it didn't turn out as bad as I thought.

I roll it back onto my knee and up to the corner of the bumper, then reposition to bear hug it onto the camera mount, then spin it into place and push it onto the lugs

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's how I lift and align my 37" spare. I first lift it and place it on the rear bumper. Then I rotate it so the lug holes line up with the studs. Then I lift it straight up that short distance and it slides right onto the lugs. Never had an issue scratching the camera this way.

I'm also 6'5" tall, so maybe that helps some too.....;)

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR WHITE, 2016 KL WHITE LTD, 2014 YAMAHA SX190
You could also take the air out of the other four tires first. That’d decrease how high you have to lift it.

:LOL:
Sponsored