Sponsored

What are minor things you wish you knew before buying a JLUR?

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am loving my manual 6sp, travel through the Adirondack Mtns all the time, no issue.
It's a good tranny, no doubt, but have you towed anything? I'm just used to way more torque so it's frustrating to have to shift down so much. I guess I could just keep the RPMs way up all day long, but that seems whacked.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Not a JLUR, but I didn't realize how much dirt/dust collects EVERYWHERE when driving with top down, doors off, etc. I wipe out the interior a few times a week and I'm still barely keeping up with it!

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I am highly considering moving from my 2015 4Runner to a 2020 JLUR if/when 3.0D is released.

I am interested to know one or two minor annoyances you have with your JL that you didn't know before buying.

For example, my 4Runner has been insane for 55k miles, has taken me most places I've wanted to go, and has been put through it's paces. But here are things I wish I would've known before buying one...

- If you go bigger on tires (33s+) you will struggle to find a gear on the highway (5spd)
- In the mountains, at altitude, you will really wish you had more power if you are loaded down
- The paint is brittle thin and can only be buffed out a handful of times

I love my 4Runner but it's no longer fitting my needs and wants.

So -- what say you about the JL? What are some things you wish you knew?
I was surprised how high it was (seat to road height) even before I lifted mine. Now that it is lifted a couple inches, it is really a climb to get into. Don't want a sidestep because it will just get hung up on the trail, so I carry a cheap flat-folding plastic step stool for situations where I need to help a short person get in.

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
People complaining about the 4Runner power deficiency and tech deficiency knew this before their purchase. They want a dd that runs like a small suv and performs off road well too. Tech that fails will be expensive. The JL is attempting to bridge the gap, but they are struggling. Plenty of people have complained about how their screens have acted funny in the JL. Along with other tech gremlins. The 4Runner is solid there.
The 4Runner has a manual shift feature that can help when you want a certain gear. The 5 speed transmission in the 4Runner is obviously geared for primarily being off the pavement. The JL has that too, but it shifts smoothly.

OP
OP

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
People complaining about the 4Runner power deficiency and tech deficiency knew this before their purchase. They want a dd that runs like a small suv and performs off road well too. Tech that fails will be expensive. The JL is attempting to bridge the gap, but they are struggling. Plenty of people have complained about how their screens have acted funny in the JL. Along with other tech gremlins. The 4Runner is solid there.
The 4Runner has a manual shift feature that can help when you want a certain gear. The 5 speed transmission in the 4Runner is obviously geared for primarily being off the pavement. The JL has that too, but it shifts smoothly.
Yes but things changed. I bought at sea level. Stock. Now 34s, armor, roof rack, RTT, winch, bumpers... at 10k ASL... you get the point.

Thanks for the tech info. Much appreciated.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
A lot of people mention the wind noise, and I was prepared for that.

The one that surprised me was the rain.

With the hard top on, in decent rain, it's freaking LOUD !!!!!!
With the soft top it is great - it is like camping in a tent in the rain.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The 2020 4Runner has all the latest tech. I guess they just added tech gremlins to the 4Runner. Is it less solid now?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i wish i would have researched the differences of the Rubi a little more and looked into how much more it would have cost me for a basic rubi. i find myself wanting the lockers and gearing now that im on 35s. granted i can eventually grab some take offs but it would have been nice to have it from the get go. i probably would not be enjoying the extra $250 a month in car payments right now though.

also color, i kinda wish i would have tried a little harder to find more color options but they were SUPER limited for Sport when i was in the market. heck i didnt even see any Mojitos, Yellows or Oranges when i visited the many dealerships (and shopping online). the lots were FILLED with granite, black, white, silver and sting gray (no sting gray sport though which is what i really wanted).

other than that im totally happy with my 8AT, roll up windows and basic radio.

see what YOU really need and cant live without in your wrangler. do you need $1k led lights? $1k steel bumper? $1k upgrade wheels? etc.. that's why so many people are paying $60k+ for a loaded up version of a vehicle i paid $32k for.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

After living with TJs and their 7 inch sealed beam candles for the last... well damn near 17 years. Yes. Yes I do need the $1k LED lights.
i can understand that but the standard JL lights arent bad. if you live in an area that is not very well lit (countryside?) then i can see it. i live in the suburbs. no issues here lol. even still, $1k can buy you police helicopter quality LED light bars for when you need them.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I knew how bad the stock radio was, also wish I knew how much the Autostart/Stop sucked. Jeep is in the shop for the second time in 5 months with some bug in the system that keeps stranding me. Still my favorite Jeep but patients is running thin.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I wish I knew that the Android Auto was garbage and not stable, always disconnecting. Trash...

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
the 3.6 is a bit gutless for the sport due to bad gearing. gearing is changeable no big deal the turbo 2.0 without e torq will solve all alt. problems.

the 3.0D is gonna be the best bet. better for towing. its going to be only in auto and its turboed i do believe which is solve all the problems both the 2.0 and the 3.6 have.

my only grip i have for my jeep is the low 3.43 gearing in the sport. thats all. other than that i love it. I have the 6 speed manual with the 3.6
That said, I think I heard Jeep say that with the diesel JLUR they were dropping the gears back to 3.73, likely to get the revs down. Too bad because 4.10s with 35s or 37s would be perfect with the diesel.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
When it rains and you open the front door, a lot of water will pour down into the drivers area

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wish I would have known that my monthly accessory purchases would equal or exceed my monthly loan payment... :facepalm:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
How shitty the non-alpine stereo system is.
Word. The alpine stereo is the only option I regret not getting. The three options I did get (LED lights, body-colored fenders and steel bumpers) I absolutely do not regret.

Having said that, I can at least hear my speakers at most speeds unlike my YJ which had two rotting cardboard speakers that sounded like bees rattling around a tin can.
Sponsored