First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I'm pondering wheels and tires while (im)patiently waiting for my JLR to show up at the dealer. I do not plan to lift it much, if at all. I keep changing my mind, but currently thinking about 37" bias Irok's. It seems a 17x8.5 wheel with around +25mm offset would work best. If only I liked the look of the AEV Borah's I'd be done. Frankly, I've been spoiled by the HMMVW dual beadlocks on my CJ-7, they don't leak, burp and otherwise give me any grief.

So, I'm thinking steel wheels with Coyote inner locks might be my best choice. Any thoughts or suggestions, especially @DOOKEY ?
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
How about a flow formed dual bead lock in aluminum? 17x9 with 4.5" back spacing? All the benefits of the dual bead lock system without all the added weight. :)

20200925_151551.jpg

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Are these your new company? What's the URL?

Increase the backspacing to 5.5-6" and I'm in! I've run into this same issue with pretty much every beadlock I've found except the AEV and to some extent the Mopar beadlocks. Right not I'm thinking my best bet is Stockton D-windows or possibly an alloy wheel and adding the Coyote beadlocks.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
If your desire is to have no issues I'd stay away from the coyote bead lock inserts. I don't remember many people having good luck with them. They switched hands a whole bunch of times and I lost track of them. Do you know people running them without issues?

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If your desire is to have no issues I'd stay away from the coyote bead lock inserts. I don't remember many people having good luck with them. They switched hands a whole bunch of times and I lost track of them. Do you know people running them without issues?
Nope. But it looks like my alternatives are 1) AEV, 2) non-beadlocks, or 3) inner locks of some type.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
How about a flow formed dual bead lock in aluminum? 17x9 with 4.5" back spacing? All the benefits of the dual bead lock system without all the added weight. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations 20200925_151551
Aw man, f you, i just bought new beadlocks in 8 lug, haven't even got them all mounted but cant return them because they are custom drilled, and you speak of the holy grail. F you, f you, f you, i love you but I hate you. If they are reasonably priced f you even more. Yes, im jumping up and down. Please tell me you were just f'ing around and those are some ridiculously priced custom job made of unobtanium.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Nope. But it looks like my alternatives are 1) AEV, 2) non-beadlocks, or 3) inner locks of some type.
I would imagine they are better than nothing. Saw it once and heard about it for years that they aren't up to the task of holding the bead in place. People really don't consider just how much force a tire puts on the insert.

Pick the wheel you like and carry a can of ether? :CWL:

Aw man, f you, i just bought new beadlocks in 8 lug, haven't even got them all mounted but cant return them because they are custom drilled, and you speak of the holy grail. F you, f you, f you, i love you but I hate you. If they are reasonably priced f you even more. Yes, im jumping up and down. Please tell me you were just f'ing around and those are some ridiculously priced custom job made of unobtanium.

I've waited almost my entire adult life to use this line...

they're real. 🍉🍉

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm pondering wheels and tires while (im)patiently waiting for my JLR to show up at the dealer. I do not plan to lift it much, if at all. I keep changing my mind, but currently thinking about 37" bias Irok's. It seems a 17x8.5 wheel with around +25mm offset would work best. If only I liked the look of the AEV Borah's I'd be done. Frankly, I've been spoiled by the HMMVW dual beadlocks on my CJ-7, they don't leak, burp and otherwise give me any grief.

So, I'm thinking steel wheels with Coyote inner locks might be my best choice. Any thoughts or suggestions, especially @DOOKEY ?
Why not stick with the double beadlocks? https://www.hutchinsoninc.com/rock-monster-internal-double-beadlock-system/

Admitidly, they don’t meet your offset specs.

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
For bead locks, the ones from Dirty Life are on the JLR.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations IMG_9580
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations IMG_2460

They can be used as regular wheels with a faux bead lock.
Or the optional forge outer lip can be purchased and then the wheel can become a true bead lock.

One nice thing about bead locks, they can be a DIY (no tire store needed to mount).

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
In my group, all of us have bead lock wheels. I have ATX Slabs, they have taken a pounding. We often air down to 6 to 8 psi. The ATX Slab have a big thick ring.

Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations 1611229913668

Three of my buds run Dirty Life wheels. They have all had good luck with them. The ring is smaller and the wheels are lighter than the ATX, I have found that the valve stem is very well protected in the Dirty Life wheels. The down side to that is it you can't get a good three way locking air check on them, so you end up having to babysit the connection when airing up.

One of my bud's Dirty Life wheels in action.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations 1611230216433

Two of my other buds run the KMC deadlock wheels. These are cool wheels and they have two valve stems on each Wheel. They use one hole for the TPMS valve stem and the other just a regular stem. They both air up and air down in the regular valve stem as they claim it is fast. I have mixed feeling on the duel valve stem. On one hand it is cool, on the other hand it double the chance of a valve stem failure or damage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations 1611230580427

One of my buds that switched to the KMC wheels did have DV8 bead lock wheels and they were junk. He had bolts, yes bolts, (five on one wheel alone) in the bead lock ring on each wheel break. Mind you these are grade 8 bolts. I think grade 8 Chinese bolts must be different that US grade 8 bolts. He also had the threaded insert strip out in the wheel and he has had such a hassle buying new inserts, that he bought new KMC wheels to end the hassle of dealing with DV8. On a side note, if you want a set of DV8 bead locks, I can connect you with him. Pretty sure he would sell them pretty cheap.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I run the KMC Machete wheels, love the dual valve stems, air up with one and monitor pressure in the other. They are 3.5" backspace so they poke quite a bit. I think the Grenade wheels are 4.25 BS so they don't poke as much.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations 20201204_161237
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations 20201204_161248
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations 20201205_101500
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlock Recommendations 20210102_115204

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the input everyone. As I ponder this I came to the belief that dual mode wheels should have two sets of specs. Take the AEV Borah's. They are listed as 17 x 8.5 with a +25mm offset which I believe is correct when the tire is mounted conventionally. But what happens when you run them as a true beadlock? The outer edge of the tire gets moved out about an inch, making them a 17 x 9.5 with a +12mm offset.

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My next step is to take delivery of my new Jeep and flex it out with tires mounted on stock wheels to figure out how much offset I need. Judging by pictures on this site, right around +12mm should do it. Here are the results of my research, ranked by offset:

Trail Ready
17 x 8.5
+32 to -31mm offset in 12.5mm increments
82.5mm bore

AEV Borah
17 x 8.5 +25mm offset when used as conventional wheel
About 17 x 9.5 +12mm when used as a beadlock
5.72" backspace
33 lbs

Raceline RT232
17 x 8.5
+12mm offset