Sponsored

Beach driving

thegoochie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2012 JK Rubicon
At the risk of being nasty, I drive my raptor and rubi on the beach and dessert frequently and when I see folks stuck in the sand it is almost nearly utterly always because they failed to air down. I usually hand them a nail and its my condescending way of being a jerk.

Please air down.
Sponsored

SpeedKills

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
you wont do any damage to the truck with that little amount of beach driving at full pressure....and it will probably do just fine as long as youre smooth with the skinny pedal.
BUT, if you feel it is starting to bog down, STOP and air down before you start to dig a hole.
once you air down, dont go forward... back up 10 feet, then go forward.
it will be far easier on the jeep
Agree, for short drives I wouldn't worry about it. I've driven my son's 08 Rubicon and our old on steep, sand-covered hills on riverbanks with no problems. I've driven beaches with a Subatu WRX. If you have problems you can air down.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't care what size the tire is, I would air down. Unnecessary wear and tear on the drive train if you don't.
Whaaaaaaat? What is this "wear and tear" ?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I’ve seen a couple of threads on this but I am interested in the experience of seasoned off-roaders here.

In the summer months I spend a lot of time in a beach community where I can get a permit to drive on to the beach. The approach to the beach is softer, deeper sand (several inches deep before it gets more packed), and a little bit of an uphill climb through some twists and turns. Closer to the water it is more packed of course. I would not compare the soft section to a significant sand dune like the kind found out west.

The traditional wisdom is to let air out of the tires down to about 15psi. There are even pumps where you leave the beach to reinflate your tires. When I drive my Tacoma out on the beach I let the air out, as do all of my friends in their JGCs, Surburbans, etc.

My question is: do you think that a 2dr JL Sport with the skinny 245/75R17 all-terrain tires (stock from the factory Bridgestone Dueler A/T) would need to have the air pressure reduced to 15 psi to avoid getting stuck, or do you think in 4wd it would be fine?

I ask because letting the air out takes a stop and some time, and then there’s usually a line a the pumps to restore the PSI to a road-going level.
Always air down. If not for the wear and tear on your Jeep, then to lessen your impact on the beach environment. Leaving deep tracks or ruts, from not airing down, etc- This is the kind of stuff that people use to get places closed to OHV access. It's important to air down any time you head off road as it's one of the best practices of Tread Lightly. When I was in Cape Cod a few years back, my '04 Rubi on 31's was aired down to 5psi in similar conditions (sandy up hills/ winding up hill to the waterfront) and the same when I went back a few years later on 33's. it allows a larger contact patch and keeps the tire floating above the sand. I had a lot of trouble with this (being used to rocks) and an old guy in a Tundra with Highway tires pulled over and helped me out. You're not worried about losing a bead or damaging a rim in the sand like you might be on the trail, so getting down low enough to create that contact patch/ flotation effect and still retain a bit of sidewall should not be a problem.

If you're worried about lines at the air up stations- Compressors are ~$60-80 at Harbor Freight. I've had mine now for several years (Replaced my old one I had for over a decade of off road use) and it runs like a champ. It attaches to the battery and comes with everything you need. In fact, I used it when I was in Cape Cod as there were lines at the air up stations and other people were families with no on board air. hope this helps!

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Jeep drivers in get stuck in sand, not because they haven't AIR'D DOWN, but because of LACK OF ATTENTION TO WHEEL SPEED !!!

Stay in a lower gear when in 4wd and WATCH THE TACH and you'll be GENERALLY SAFE !

W.E.

JIMBO

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Always air down. If not for the wear and tear on your Jeep, then to lessen your impact on the beach environment. Leaving deep tracks or ruts, from not airing down, etc- This is the kind of stuff that people use to get places closed to OHV access. It's important to air down any time you head off road as it's one of the best practices of Tread Lightly. When I was in Cape Cod a few years back, my '04 Rubi on 31's was aired down to 5psi in similar conditions (sandy up hills/ winding up hill to the waterfront) and the same when I went back a few years later on 33's. it allows a larger contact patch and keeps the tire floating above the sand. I had a lot of trouble with this (being used to rocks) and an old guy in a Tundra with Highway tires pulled over and helped me out. You're not worried about losing a bead or damaging a rim in the sand like you might be on the trail, so getting down low enough to create that contact patch/ flotation effect and still retain a bit of sidewall should not be a problem.

If you're worried about lines at the air up stations- Compressors are ~$60-80 at Harbor Freight. I've had mine now for several years (Replaced my old one I had for over a decade of off road use) and it runs like a champ. It attaches to the battery and comes with everything you need. In fact, I used it when I was in Cape Cod as there were lines at the air up stations and other people were families with no on board air. hope this helps!
thanks for the info on Harbor frt, going to have to check them out for a portable compressor

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What beach on LI is this?
Democrat Point, you get access to this and a few other beaches with the State pass.

Came back to edit after reading your other post. Democrat Point does have an air station, 3 big compressors that get you going pretty quick. but if you want to go to the others you will need a compressor.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Whaaaaaaat? What is this "wear and tear" ?
Have you ever heard an auto transmission bog down in the sand? Remember the JK's going on fire because of boiling and overflowing transmission fluid? Even if that doesn't happen to you, probably not the best to put that extra strain IMO. Plus it feels like you're driving on clouds.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Democrat Point, you get access to this and a few other beaches with the State pass.

Came back to edit after reading your other post. Democrat Point does have an air station, 3 big compressors that get you going pretty quick. but if you want to go to the others you will need a compressor.
thanks Drew

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
thanks for the info on Harbor frt, going to have to check them out for a portable compressor
no prob. I like mine. It fits inside a Fat 50 ammo can that is water tight and i can stash under the back seat in my JLUR. Fills 33's pretty quick. I've helped buddies air up as well. It's not record breaking speed but it is decent.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Have you ever heard an auto transmission bog down in the sand? Remember the JK's going on fire because of boiling and overflowing transmission fluid? Even if that doesn't happen to you, probably not the best to put that extra strain IMO. Plus it feels like you're driving on clouds.
I try to not drive like a high school kid (anymore) and I keep an eye on the gauges, especially when in extraordinary conditions. I've broke my share of vehicles by abuse or extreme use. I don't know if I've learned lessons or just got it out of my system decades ago. Maybe it was all the horse riding that taught me to care for the transportation object I was on/in. Maybe the money and labor of fixing all the broken stuff. My offroad driving is to get somewhere. But, a Jeep being a "recreational" vehicle, I concede that there are a fair percentage of owners that frolic and joy ride without regard to what is going on with their vehicle. It just didn't cross my mind that someone would drive continuously with tires churning at a high slip rate in the sand until something bad happens.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I try to not drive like a high school kid (anymore) and I keep an eye on the gauges, especially when in extraordinary conditions. I've broke my share of vehicles by abuse or extreme use. I don't know if I've learned lessons or just got it out of my system decades ago. Maybe it was all the horse riding that taught me to care for the transportation object I was on/in. Maybe the money and labor of fixing all the broken stuff. My offroad driving is to get somewhere. But, a Jeep being a "recreational" vehicle, I concede that there are a fair percentage of owners that frolic and joy ride without regard to what is going on with their vehicle. It just didn't cross my mind that someone would drive continuously with tires churning at a high slip rate in the sand until something bad happens.

Hey, to each his own. We spend upwards of $50K on our Jeeps, what's another couple of hundred on a compressor and spending a few minutes on airing down and up? Every beach is different too, in Florida you can drive a Prius on the beach, up here we have a few beaches that are like sandboxes by the entrance(Gilgo), and you're guaranteed to get stuck if you don't air down. Then, while you're blocking the entrance you have to ask someone to pull you out(never usually the case with a Jeep).

Soggybottomboy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon JLU.
Occupation
Retired from Retards
I've got about 5 miles to the beach entrance from home. Prolly just keep the tire pressure around 20 during most of the season. I don't think it will be much wear on the road to and from. We'll see.

SBB
Sponsored