Be Cautious with ESS

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I think of it as what is more important, saving a bit of gas or wearing out your starter. I've been in situations where I hit the brakes, the engine stops, then I accelerate, then the engine comes back on in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. Over and over again. Cant be good for the starter.
From my understanding, the starter isnt engaged when the engine restarts....I read it on one of the many threats so the wear would be on other components mostly beefed up for such system
Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I Personally like the system, but with the 6MT I have much more control over it since you can override it simply by never putting it in neutral and letting out the clutch, so the observed situation can't happen. I have noticed though that if the wheels are turned the start-stop screen says its not ready because the wheels are turned. I think if I had the AT I'd get more familiar with what does/doesn't disable the ESS without pushing the button.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
But all this said, I can't help but think your conflating two separate issues: ESS and crank. Perhaps the rig simply needs to be serviced if its experiencing problems like that you describe--especially so early into its life.
There’s no way for me to be sure exactly why this happened. When I applied pressure to the brake and released it the car started right up. I have never had another glitch before or after this incident but I’ve only been driving it a few hours since this happened. My thought is the ESS triggered the shutdown the exact moment I lifted the brake and it got confused. This would explain why it lunges forward a few inches when I tried to drive.

KristenC

First Name
Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I've driven several vehicles with this feature and I have to say Jeep's version of the technology feels the most slipshod out of the other manufacturers. Currently I make it a point that when I press the button to start the Jeep, I will then press the button to disable the system. I'm still getting roughly 21/22 mpg.

I will invest in the Tazer in the near future, however, as I am looking to do a lift and tire upgrade and would like it to adjust my speedometer.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I bought a Tazer and the first thing I did with it was kill the ESS. I have noticed zero change in gas mileage. The exact scenario that someone described above scares the crap out of me...you're about to make a left-hand turn across oncoming traffic and the ESS kills the motor as you try to accelerate and you get in a head-on collision. Terrifying.
All valid.

Consider though that ESS systems were designed to help manufacturers meet government mandated fuel savings goals, themselves motivated by that fact in aggregate, across motorists with such features (enabled) these savings add up.

I'd prefer not to re-open discussions from another thread on the balance the individual has with free choice versus the obligations to others (and vice versa.) People not only sit at all different places on this continuum, but ESS is currently optional: permanent so as I suspect you know @ebelp with CANbus (e.g. Tazer) technology.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I think the people who are worried about it killing your engine in the middle of you turning in front of oncoming traffic should rethink your driving habits. You should never place yourself in a situation like that.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the people who are worried about it killing your engine in the middle of you turning in front of oncoming traffic should rethink your driving habits. You should never place yourself in a situation like that.
Situations like what, driving?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I respect the logic behind ESS systems and government mandated fuel economy standards that motivated them.

I dislike aspects of how FCA implemented ESS though in the JL.

Specifically--and if my understanding is correct--the small ESS battery's purpose is to provide the electrical needs for the rig when ESS is engaged. With the engine stopped, no alternator operates, and better--so it seems FCA thought-for their to be a sacrificial battery (the ESS one) to provide power at this time than drain the main battery.

Draw too much current from the ESS battery, the rig will recrank. Sounds good right?

But where the "Achilles heel" in this system..the fly in the ointment lies is (IMHO) if the ESS battery lacks sufficient power upon a cold start, the rig won't crank.

Deference to @Jebiruph hack for this issue duly noted: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

the explanation for this behavior comes, to my understanding, in engineering decisions in which mission critical aspects of the rig's cold cranking are connected to the ESS battery. To which I'd respond, "why not source power for these essential things to the main battery."

A battery that powers an optional system should not, in its lack of power, thwart cold crank of the rig.

And for that matter, FCA couldn't implement Jerry's hack on an as needed basis to get the rig going should inadequate ESS voltage be detected?

JWR2018

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon
I think of it as what is more important, saving a bit of gas or wearing out your starter. I've been in situations where I hit the brakes, the engine stops, then I accelerate, then the engine comes back on in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. Over and over again. Cant be good for the starter.
I always turn it off when I know I will be in stop and go traffic, like going home from work. Otherwise I usually let it do its thing. I didn't like the constant off and on in heavy traffic.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand the problem here. It seems (based on the dashcam video) that the engine shut off after the brake was released. I have never experienced engine shut off without a firm foot on the brake and ONLY when fully stopped. If the brake is released the engine resumes normal operation (even without acceleration). Even releasing some pedal pressure but still stopped brings the engine back up. I can't even imagine a scenario where I will want to go and the engine shuts down.

That being said I have adapted my driving style to work better with the ESS and minimize nuisance start/stopping. But at no time will the engine shut off or remain off if my foot is off the brake. What I saw in the video makes me question if the ESS was malfunctioning.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Situations like what, driving?
Dangerous driving where you don’t allow for the possibility of other people reacting poorly, or slowly. Its like slamming on your brakes and being upset that you got rear ended.

There are a huge number of things that could fail to cause your vehicle to stop in the middle of the road. Blaming ESS is just stupidity.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
As you hear spewed often, it is what it is. ESS, is what it is......

Fortunately, easily addressed with a button push, a Smart Stop Start device or the Tazer JL programmer.

Enough said by me, I do not want to clutter up a thread with nonsensical rants and such, like we are seeing so often these days in many threads.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I got a manual this week and didn't realize it had this feature as well. Turns off the engine when you take it out of gear and let off the clutch. As soon as I step on the clutch to put it in gear, it starts right back up again.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dangerous driving where you don’t allow for the possibility of other people reacting poorly, or slowly. Its like slamming on your brakes and being upset that you got rear ended.

There are a huge number of things that could fail to cause your vehicle to stop in the middle of the road. Blaming ESS is just stupidity.
If you watch the video you’ll notice I am making a simple left hand turn. I’m not rushing to beat oncoming traffic. I was in no way in danger of being hit, thankfully. But when you’re in that situation it scares the hell out of you. Driving will always have moments of close call no matter how careful you are. You need to rely on your vehicle to keep you and your family safe and be able to react to situations. Thankfully this was not one of them.
Sponsored