Sponsored

Battery Replacement Question for the Experts

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well, the group 48 Northstar linked above is no slouch. I do have a Rubicon with tow package and have no regrets.

Anyway, my wife always assures me that size doesn’t matter 😂
@OldGuyNewJeep

Based on recent posts, it seems the 94R will indeed fit a JL that has the tow package..... I had an Odyssey rep, who checked with his supervisor say a 94R would not fit the JL's tray.

Anyway, the JL with the tow package comes with a 700CCA Main. The 48 has 775CCA, which is plenty for our needs...

Sure had I been given accurate info, I would based on price and availability probably have gone with the 94R .... not that I would have really needed the additional 75 CCA.. The 94 is 850 CCA.

Anyway, the Odyssey and Northstar 48's are 75CCA bigger then what comes with the JL that has the tow package and for sure are more trustworthy batteries then the OEM.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the group 48 Northstar linked above is no slouch. I do have a Rubicon with tow package and have no regrets.

Anyway, my wife always assures me that size doesn’t matter 😂
That Northstar will have you covered. They are awesome.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
The auxiliary die hard is too tall. Cannot get the rear bolt for the battery box to fit

Update: got the rear bolt in but the die hard is for sure taller.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The auxiliary die hard is too tall. Cannot get the rear bolt for the battery box to fit

Update: got the rear bolt in bolt the die hard for sure taller.
@intentsrig

You did install a....
DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

I have installed a few.... no problems doing so...

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
@intentsrig

You did install a....
DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

I have installed a few.... no problems doing so...
I did indeed install that one

Edit: For those just scanning this post from a google search. I did NOT buy that one!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did indeed install that one
@intentsrig

Hmmm, you got my curiosity up.. As I said, I have installed a few of those DieHards on other people's JL's. Never a fit issue for me..

Did you remove and reuse the stock posts that came with the OEM, Aux battery????

Did you note the height of those posts on your Aux before you removed them from the OEM battery and then kept that in mind when you installed those posts into the Diehard?

I'm wondering if your height issue was related to those two posts being left a tad to high on your Diehard..

Just curious.... Would be a shame to see guys steer clear of the Diehard offering cause they think it is too tall....

Oh... nothing to do with battery fit... but did you do the flare pull of liner peel to access the Aux?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
@intentsrig

Hmmm, you got my curiosity up.. As I said, I have installed a few of those DieHards on other people's JL's. Never a fit issue for me..

Did you remove and reuse the stock posts that came with the OEM, Aux battery????

Did you note the height of those posts on your Aux before you removed them from the OEM battery and then kept that in mind when you installed those posts into the Diehard?

I'm wondering if your height issue was related to those two posts being left a tad to high on your Diehard..

Just curious.... Would be a shame to see guys steer clear of the Diehard offering cause they think it is too tall....

Oh... nothing to do with battery fit... but did you do the flare pull of liner peel to access the Aux?

So I just went and checked and I actually bought Duralast Platinum AGM's. From what I know they are both produced by the same company but under different names. Also, I did not re use stock aux posts. Used the new hardware bolts.

So maybe the Duralast AUX 14 is a tad taller? Internet says die hard is 6.14in tall and I do not have the stock aux height measurement unfortunately nor do I have the Duralast (Already installed). O Riley's Aux version , the SuperStart, is listed at 5 3/4" height. Seems closer to what stock aux would be.

Duralast info-Duralast Platinum AGM Battery AUX14 Group Size AUX14 200 CCA. Part #: AUX14 which is says direct fitment.

Long story short..the Duralast will fit but just put the rear bolt in first.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@DanW, I think this is the one: https://www.batteriesplus.com/produ.../jeep/wrangler/2018/v6-3.6l-650cca/sli48agmdp

It matches the one spec'd by @Rhinebeck01: https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm48-l3

My main is no longer holding a charge. I have AUX bypassed, and minutes after taking my main off the tender it will drop to 12.4 and then 12.2. I have a Batteries Plus store 15 minutes away and they have the X2 in stock. I think I will run over there, today.

Edit: Hell, that was easy and I found a 10% coupon code. They'll even put it in for me and take the old one to avoid a core charge. Sweet!
@DanW @Rhinebeck01

I am very disappointed to report that my Northstar is already failing. I don't drive much these days, but I have used my tender on it 1-2x a month, religiously.

I'm considering trying the repair mode on my Noco Genius-5, but I'm skeptical that it would help an AGM battery. (Their FAQ says it works, but... at the very least I'd want to take it out of the Jeep and do it outside.)

Before I do that I will try to claim a warranty replacement.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW @Rhinebeck01

I am very disappointed to report that my Northstar is already failing. I don't drive much these days, but I have used my tender on it 1-2x a month, religiously.

I'm considering trying the repair mode on my Noco Genius-5, but I'm skeptical that it would help an AGM battery. (Their FAQ says it works, but... at the very least I'd want to take it out of the Jeep and do it outside.)

Before I do that I will try to claim a warranty replacement.
Wow, that'd be a shock. (No pun intended.) The one in my JK is 4 years old now and going strong. I wonder if you've got something else like a parasitic draw going on that is a contributing factor?

Keep us posted!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that'd be a shock. (No pun intended.) The one in my JK is 4 years old now and going strong. I wonder if you've got something else like a parasitic draw going on that is a contributing factor?

Keep us posted!
I will definitely keep you posted. It has a 60 month warranty, so I have time to weigh my options. Knowing me, I’ll probably remove it and try repair mode in the name of science. 😉

The symptom is “aux switches temporarily disabled battery charging” when doing a cold start after a day sitting. I stuck the Noco on it for 24hrs, and then let it sit for an hour. Voltage dropped from 14.1 to 12.2!!

I have the little battery bypassed and I verified it’s fully charged. Stuck Noco on it for kicks and it finished in 15 minutes.

Only mod I have is the original two piece Tazer, but I’ve been running that since June 2018. I did just upgrade to the latest firmware, just in case… maybe I’ll unplug it to see if drain is slower, though I doubt it. Its parasitic draw is minuscule.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Keep us posted!
Well, the update is not good. :swear:

I took the battery out and ran the Noco repair cycle. It took 4 hours, and at the end it was 13.6 volts. Within 15 minutes and zero load it dropped to 12.1.

I called BatteriesPlus and THEY NEED TO KEEP THE BATTERY 48 HOURS to test it before accepting a warranty claim, AND it will take 7+ days to get a new one IF they determine it is defective.

So, I have to be without a vehicle for more than a week??? Unacceptable.

I couldn't be more disappointed with a Made in USA product. I've babied the thing with my tender, and it lasted 10 months.

I pretty much just have to buy a new battery and pursue this warranty, separately. If honored, I will just keep it on a shelf and hope it's still good when I someday need it.

Argh.

Edit: I may live to regret this decision, but I just ordered an Odyssey 94R-850 from a local dealer. I can pick it up, tomorrow. $249 + tax. (Less than I paid for the Northstar, interestingly.) With so many good reviews here and elsewhere, I'm hopeful that I just got a lemon and will try this company one more time. For those not "in the know," Odyssey and Northstar are the same company. I will pursue the warranty for my Northstar, then stick it on a shelf once replaced. (I can't imagine they'd deny my claim based on my own testing. The thing is shot, plain and simple.) Worst case, I'm out the $260.99 I paid for the Northstar. My time is money, though, as is my stress level... I'm not about to be with no vehicle for 48 hours + 7 days if they agree it's shot.

@Rhinebeck01

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the update is not good. :swear:

I took the battery out and ran the Noco repair cycle. It took 4 hours, and at the end it was 13.6 volts. Within 15 minutes and zero load it dropped to 12.1.

I called BatteriesPlus and THEY NEED TO KEEP THE BATTERY 48 HOURS to test it before accepting a warranty claim, AND it will take 7+ days to get a new one IF they determine it is defective.

So, I have to be without a vehicle for more than a week??? Unacceptable.

I couldn't be more disappointed with a Made in USA product. I've babied the thing with my tender, and it lasted 10 months.

I pretty much just have to buy a new battery and pursue this warranty, separately. If honored, I will just keep it on a shelf and hope it's still good when I someday need it.

Argh.

Edit: I may live to regret this decision, but I just ordered an Odyssey 94R-850 from a local dealer. I can pick it up, tomorrow. $249 + tax. (Less than I paid for the Northstar, interestingly.) With so many good reviews here and elsewhere, I'm hopeful that I just got a lemon and will try this company one more time. For those not "in the know," Odyssey and Northstar are the same company. I will pursue the warranty for my Northstar, then stick it on a shelf once replaced. (I can't imagine they'd deny my claim based on my own testing. The thing is shot, plain and simple.) Worst case, I'm out the $260.99 I paid for the Northstar. My time is money, though, as is my stress level... I'm not about to be with no vehicle for 48 hours + 7 days if they agree it's shot.

@Rhinebeck01
That is dissapointing about Batteries Plus. I'd try to get ahold of someone in their CS chain of command. In the meantime, Odyssey is also made by Northstar's parent company. That said, a different dealer may be a better bet. That price sounds good, too.

Keep us posted on Batteries Plus. That's a big problem if that's how they handle their warranties. I'd also reach out to them via social media, such as Instagram, where they really don't want folks to see how bad that policy is. I'd also make double sure it isn't just a bad franchise owner. I just can't imagine that is their actual policy on warranty issues.

Another idea is to ask them for a loaner battery while they assess the first one.

But if this turns out to be a corporate policy/procedure, we can light them up on the forum here and on other social media. And they'd deserve every bit of it. We just want to be 100% before opening fire.

If I get a chance, I'll call my local store in the next day or two and ask about how they would handle that. My JK has a Northstar from them (Batterie's Plus house brand) and an Odyssey they substituted for my JL when their house battery was out of stock.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I get a chance, I'll call my local store in the next day or two and ask about how they would handle that.
I appreciate that, Dan, and would be very interested to hear what they say. I asked about a loaner, and also if they would replenish their stock so that a replacement would be on hand after the test competes. I got a hard no to both. He told me the group 48 Northstar is a special order (even though I was clear that I got one from his store off the shelf last February). Hmm.

I have never heard of a 48 hour test, and it sounds crazy to me. I mean, they show a picture of a guy holding a simple tester with the battery in the car: https://www.batteriesplus.com/t/services

Anyway, I should have more to report soon... if I have to leave the battery with them for two days, then the extra year they tack on to the standard Northstar warranty is a gimmick. Who can be without their vehicle for two days for a simple battery issue? What if I only had one vehicle?

FWIW, here is where I purchased the Odyssey - no clue what shipping would cost since they are local, but prices are better than Amazon: https://www.fcpeuro.com/

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I appreciate that, Dan, and would be very interested to hear what they say. I asked about a loaner, and also if they would replenish their stock so that a replacement would be on hand after the test competes. I got a hard no to both. He told me the group 48 Northstar is a special order (even though I was clear that I got one from his store off the shelf last February). Hmm.

I have never heard of a 48 hour test, and it sounds crazy to me. I mean, they show a picture of a guy holding a simple tester with the battery in the car: https://www.batteriesplus.com/t/services

Anyway, I should have more to report soon... if I have to leave the battery with them for two days, then the extra year they tack on to the standard Northstar warranty is a gimmick. Who can be without their vehicle for two days for a simple battery issue? What if I only had one vehicle?

FWIW, here is where I purchased the Odyssey - no clue what shipping would cost since they are local, but prices are better than Amazon: https://www.fcpeuro.com/
It's not a 48 hour test, it's a 48 hour charge/repair followed by a test.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, here is a size comparison for anyone who is interested. The 94R fits like a glove! ONLY KNOWN TO FIT RUBICON WITH TOW PACKAGE.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Replacement Question for the Experts 0326AF30-A622-465E-9EF3-EF48233EE13A
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Replacement Question for the Experts DD81D3C2-B573-40D5-AEF7-9621FAA51895
Sponsored