Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Bulldog makes a 400 and 500 also. Probably need to bump it up to at least 400. I see lots of winches go into the 300s easily.
Sponsored

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
They show all three on their website with part numbers. The 400 and 500 don't come in a kit form.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I believe that amp rating on that switch is only 200amps. I would check the max. amps on your winch. They do make others with a higher rating.
☝ This. Most of these switches are not rated for high enough current (amps) that winches can sustain. My Warn winch can pull 410amps at max force which is unlikely to see, but still possible and most likely be continuous draw, not a surge. If you talk to Warn tech support they will advise you to go straight to the battery unless you have a removable winch (like a hitch mount one).

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
☝ This. Most of these switches are not rated for high enough current (amps) that winches can sustain. My Warn winch can pull 410amps at max force which is unlikely to see, but still possible and most likely be continuous draw, not a surge. If you talk to Warn tech support they will advise you to go straight to the battery unless you have a removable winch (like a hitch mount one).
What about a quick disconnect? I have it routed straight to the battery now, but I don’t like the continuous current.
https://www.roughcountry.com/quick-...wKfpN4fSigqHB6myL8tdtpE_LTDAe82MaAuh-EALw_wcB

Sponsored

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
The Blue Sea Systems HD3000 series switches (black) are rated for up to 600A continuous, which is going to be overkill (I like overkill) because the factory conductors on my Zeon 12S are only #2 copper, although the motor can draw up to 469A (I think you need two parallel 4/0 conductors for continuous 600A load). Obviously these are not intended for continuous duty cycle.

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
The Blue Sea Systems HD3000 series switches (black) are rated for up to 600A continuous, which is going to be overkill (I like overkill) because the factory conductors on my Zeon 12S are only #2 copper, although the motor can draw up to 469A (I think you need two parallel 4/0 conductors for continuous 600A load). Obviously these are not intended for continuous duty cycle.
I’ve found a few 500+ Amp shut offs but can’t figure out a good way to mount it. Any thoughts? I don’t want to run it inside at all cause I don’t wanna rip the dash apart.

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
I’ve found a few 500+ Amp shut offs but can’t figure out a good way to mount it. Any thoughts? I don’t want to run it inside at all cause I don’t wanna rip the dash apart.
I'm still waiting on my 2022 Jeep. The switch is just under 4 in square and has 1/2 in terminal posts so it's not small, by any means. I figure I'll find a place for it under the hood and figure out a braket as close as I can get to the battery. I also ordered terminal insulators for it.

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
I'm still waiting on my 2022 Jeep. The switch is just under 4 in square and has 1/2 in terminal posts so it's not small, by any means. I figure I'll find a place for it under the hood and figure out a braket as close as I can get to the battery. I also ordered terminal insulators for it.
Yeah it’s a bit bulky to squeeze in anywhere for sure!

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
What about a quick disconnect? I have it routed straight to the battery now, but I don’t like the continuous current.
https://www.roughcountry.com/quick-...wKfpN4fSigqHB6myL8tdtpE_LTDAe82MaAuh-EALw_wcB
You can, but in the case of Warn winches they are not pulling current without a controller connected. If you ask their techs they will tell you "we just connect straight to the battery". I do not know about other brands. The only argument I see for something like this is for front end collisions and the potential of having a perfect storm of wire issues. But honestly this is not something to really worry about when you think of all the other wires and cables connected to power. From what I've seen of winches I've installed, all say to connect straight to the battery. The manufacturers should know a thing or two about their winch. What does your manual say?

I've had multiple winches over 20y and always gone straight to the battery and never had an issue. With my JK I looked into this because it was a thing on the forums then. It seems more prevalent now. I came to the conclusion that I was over thinking it back then and took the advice of people who knew more than me. IMO it is not something to worry about.

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
You can, but in the case of Warn winches they are not pulling current without a controller connected. If you ask their techs they will tell you "we just connect straight to the battery". I do not know about other brands. The only argument I see for something like this is for front end collisions and the potential of having a perfect storm of wire issues. But honestly this is not something to really worry about when you think of all the other wires and cables connected to power. From what I've seen of winches I've installed, all say to connect straight to the battery. The manufacturers should know a thing or two about their winch. What does your manual say?

I've had multiple winches over 20y and always gone straight to the battery and never had an issue. With my JK I looked into this because it was a thing on the forums then. It seems more prevalent now. I came to the conclusion that I was over thinking it back then and took the advice of people who knew more than me. IMO it is not something to worry about.
Mine is Smittybilt and also says to wire it’ll directly to the battery. I went ahead and wired it that way but then I was reading all kinds of potential issues. I was surprised that the manufacturer would have those instructions if it causes such severe issues but I think you’re right. It would take nearly perfect conditions for something to go really wrong so I think I’m just going to leave it as is for now.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that amp rating on that switch is only 200amps. I would check the max. amps on your winch. They do make others with a higher rating.
You are correct. The thought never crossed my mind when ordering.

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
No doubt relays and switches are convenient. If you're on the trail a lot those are great solutions. But for a few times a year, it literally takes less than a minute to connect and disconnect the terminal from the battery. You can do it at the start of the trail or before you leave the house. Just an idea....and it's free.