Battery Disconnect for Winch?

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
I got around to installing my winch today but the wiring makes me nervous. I’m overly cautious and the idea of an accidental electrical fire doesn’t sit well with me. I’m thinking about doing a battery shut off switch but I have no idea how. I’m NOT good with wiring but I can figure out most stuff.

Anyone have recommendations on a setup for this or have pictures? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen that but I don’t have aux switches and I’d prefer not to run it to the dash if I don’t have to. Ideally I’d love to just lift the hood and flip a switch when needed.
Can still use that and just mount the switch under the hood couldn’t you?

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
Can still use that and just mount the switch under the hood couldn’t you?
I honestly have no idea. I’ve never done anything like this so my knowledge is extremely limited.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
What did the wiring instructions for the winch show, and why not do that? An additional switch creates another point of failure and ultimately you have the battery wired to the switch, the winch, whatever and the risk becomes less, or more?

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
What did the wiring instructions for the winch show, and why not do that?
They’ve got it wired directly to the battery which is what I’ve done. My concern is that a pinch in the wires or any kind of wire damage could cause an electrical fire.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Before thinking about a switch make sure the power cable is fused. I prefer the Blue Sea battery terminal style.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5191/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

Do not go cheap on either fuses or disconnects.

Determine the max amps winch is rated for and size cable/fuse accordingly. Go a bit more amps on switch. The fuse needs to blow before the wire melts.
This one protects the diodes in the alternator in case you shut switch off while winch and engine are running at same time.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/3001/HD-Series_Heavy_Duty_On-Off_Battery_Switch_with_AFD

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I got around to installing my winch today but the wiring makes me nervous. I’m overly cautious and the idea of an accidental electrical fire doesn’t sit well with me. I’m thinking about doing a battery shut off switch but I have no idea how. I’m NOT good with wiring but I can figure out most stuff.

Anyone have recommendations on a setup for this or have pictures? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Had the same concerns. I picked one up at one of the local auto parts stores. The secret is, don't cheap out. The inexpensive ones generally can't handle enough amperage to run a winch that's under load. Check the load needs of your winch, and make sure your cutoff switch can handle it.

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
Before thinking about a switch make sure the power cable is fused. I prefer the Blue Sea battery terminal style.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5191/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

Do not go cheap on either fuses or disconnects.

Determine the max amps winch is rated for and size cable/fuse accordingly. Go a bit more amps on switch. The fuse needs to blow before the wire melts.
This one protects the diodes in the alternator in case you shut switch off while winch and engine are running at same time.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/3001/HD-Series_Heavy_Duty_On-Off_Battery_Switch_with_AFD
I just used the power cables that the battery winch came with

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
Had the same concerns. I picked one up at one of the local auto parts stores. The secret is, don't cheap out. The inexpensive ones generally can't handle enough amperage to run a winch that's under load. Check the load needs of your winch, and make sure your cutoff switch can handle it.
How do I find the amperage? It’s a 6.6hp if that helps

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
That looks like it would do the trick!! Now just to figure out how to wire it in aha
It’s a piece of cake. Disconnect your current + cable going to the winch and connect it to one side of the disconnect switch. Buy another cable the appropriate length, connect one end to the second disconnect terminal, connect the other side to your battery and you’re done.
Sponsored