First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
Complete newb question here. I have a 2018 JLU Sport S. No factory packages. (ie: stock batteries and alternator).

If installing a winch, is it mandatory to upgrade the battery and alternator, or will the stock parts be sufficient.

I won't be doing more than a handful of "beginner" level off road trips to some local all terrain parks, so I won't have a need for an aggressive setup.

I read the "Winching 101" thread here and got some good info, but nothing that specifically addresses this dumb question of mine. :)

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
User Banned

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Guitars & Drums

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Good to know! What model winch did you go with?
I went with the Smittybilt 98510 X20, with synthetic rope. I'm no winch buff but I've had to use it once already and it performed as needed, so I'm happy with it!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Smittybilt 98510 X20, with synthetic rope. I'm no winch buff but I've had to use it once already and it performed as needed, so I'm happy with it!
I second the affirmation of the Smittybilt X20... just put that on my Rubicon and it's a really solid little (waterproof) winch and the remote functions both wired and wireless.

You might also want to consider the Quadratec Q-Performance Stealth winch. The X20 (currently on sale) is a great value, but the Quadratech is also a solid offering. I actually was planning on the Stealth but the sale price on the X20 was too good to pass up. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Biggest thing to help is keep your rpms up off idle and take breaks to let the battery recover.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Biggest thing to help is keep your rpms up off idle and take breaks to let the battery recover.
Exactly, a stock battery is not meant to be drained like a deep cycle battery, so keeping rpms up around 2k to 2500k while the winch is working will allow the alternator to supply the required juice without really tapping your battery..

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
To answer your question you will be fine

To properly answer your question do not but a winch seeing you are starting out, go out with or make friends who know how to wheel and learn from them.

OP
OP
User Banned

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
To answer your question you will be fine

To properly answer your question do not but a winch seeing you are starting out, go out with or make friends who know how to wheel and learn from them.
Fair enough, and I will be. [sarcasm]But I wanna look cool too!![/sarcasm]
Sponsored