Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Can both batteries be charged at the same time? I remember reading that it's better to charge separately but I'm not sure

Charging as normal with the alligator clips will charge both > > > Fun with batteries
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, however I am specifically looking to charge through the boot/cargo/trunk area.

I have a spare Jaguar branded CTEK charger (pictured below) which is for the cigarette lighter socket. I want to use this or similar from the 12v socket in boot if I can.

do the specs on this jag charger look compatible?

It should work just fine... the JL has an AGM battery.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Based on what some say in this post, it looks like it's not ideal.

Generally accepted battery practice is that you should never parallel batteries unless they are matched (same size, type, brand, and manufacture date).
I think many (most?) charge both at the same time with no problems, but ideally they would be charged separately. I'm not an expert, that's just what I read.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hi Heimkehr
Apologies for my ignorance.
By ‘unswitched’ do you mean:
It is constantly live?
Or
It requires key in ignition to be live?

Thanks for your help
No worries, A.

"Unswitched" is a standard term of reference for a receptacle that is constantly energized ("live"). This is important to know, for example, when considering the use of such outlets in a vehicle for a USB power connection. USB adapters have known parasitic current draw.

By way of example, the Powerlet outlet, aka "BMW plug", in the sidecar of my Ural is unswitched. I can use it both ways, so to speak: to power a heated vest for a passenger (outgoing current), or to accept a 12V trickle charge (incoming current) to maintain the battery via a smart tender.

As the aforementioned Powerlet is unswitched, and when using the outlet to power an accessory like a heated vest, I have to be careful to ensure the vest is unplugged, or turned off at its switch, when the engine isn't running. So too must the Jeep owner take similar care when using the unswitched 12V outlet in the rear of the vehicle for similar purposes.

From the owner's manual > > >

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Conditioner Cargo power
That’s great. It’s just that I read somewhere that the handbook was wrong
Well, the owner's manual with the graphic cited above is wrong insomuch that I too have an unswitched 12V power port in the rear of my Sport, which does not have the factory subwoofer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elementad

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Great info. Thanks all.

No known issues in trapping a wire through the rear tail gate?

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the owner's manual with the graphic cited above is wrong insomuch that I too have an unswitched 12V power port in the rear of my Sport, which does not have the factory subwoofer.
I thought it was odd that the port being always live was specific to those with the subwoofer. I don't know why it wouldn't be for others. Thank you for clarifying and pointing that out.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would not use the reconditioning function unless connected to the battery directly with the hood open.

OP
OP
Elementad

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Quick update.
I have tried the Jaguar CTEK battery conditioner and it works.
The rear cig lighter is constantly live.
The battery conditioner is lit as it should be and shows that it is doing it’s job.

I fed the wire through the rain channel on bottom of door with no issue as can be seen. The charger can then be pushed under seat when not in use. Simple and easy.
The plug and socket that feeds power to the CTEK will be housed in a dry box under the car. The CTEK wire is IP65 and will only be dangling and not layer in water puddles so all should be good for outside battery conditioning.

Thanks for all the help.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Conditioner AAA37343-B281-44CC-934D-951944560D43
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Conditioner BFA49057-DC02-4C06-88BC-D6D331C6F152
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Conditioner A115D5ED-DE12-470B-AD61-147F447E8AE8

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would not use the reconditioning function unless connected to the battery directly with the hood open.
Just curious? Why do you say that? I thought the 12V lighter plug in the trunk is wired directly to the battery?

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Quick update.
I have tried the Jaguar CTEK battery conditioner and it works.
The rear cig lighter is constantly live.
The battery conditioner is lit as it should be and shows that it is doing it’s job.

I fed the wire through the rain channel on bottom of door with no issue as can be seen. The charger can then be pushed under seat when not in use. Simple and easy.
The plug and socket that feeds power to the CTEK will be housed in a dry box under the car. The CTEK wire is IP65 and will only be dangling and not layer in water puddles so all should be good for outside battery conditioning.

Thanks for all the help.

AAA37343-B281-44CC-934D-951944560D43.jpeg
BFA49057-DC02-4C06-88BC-D6D331C6F152.jpeg
A115D5ED-DE12-470B-AD61-147F447E8AE8.jpeg
I have the same charger but with a Porsche logo. It came with a 911. I used to plug it into the cigarette lighter in the 911 to keep the battery charged in the winter. Worked great. I ended up using another charger and have the Porsche branded CTEK charger laying around. It has the cigarette lighter plug so I am thinking of plugging it into the trunk instead of using the pigtail I have to the battery. I think it's less work to open the back gate than the hood with my locking latches.

I have a 2.0 eTorque with the 48V mild hybrid system.

How is it working out for you?

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just curious? Why do you say that? I thought the 12V lighter plug in the trunk is wired directly to the battery?
many of these units also have a recondition setting that will cause a battery to heat up significantly (sometimes). I have not used it on the Jeep because of the sensitivity of the electrical system, but do use the regular maintenance mode monthly. I currently use a CTEK 4.3 but have had a NOCO and was pleased with that unit.

OP
OP
Elementad

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have the same charger but with a Porsche logo. It came with a 911. I used to plug it into the cigarette lighter in the 911 to keep the battery charged in the winter. Worked great. I ended up using another charger and have the Porsche branded CTEK charger laying around. It has the cigarette lighter plug so I am thinking of plugging it into the trunk instead of using the pigtail I have to the battery. I think it's less work to open the back gate than the hood with my locking latches.

I have a 2.0 eTorque with the 48V mild hybrid system.

How is it working out for you?
Hi
It’s been working fine. Exactly like it does on the Jag. It took probably one afternoon to reach the setting (the led pictured next to the full battery image) which means its conditioned/floating and it remains like that as it should under a constant low volt trickle.

I do trust the Jag branded ctek. I leave these on all year round (for months at a time).

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi
It’s been working fine. Exactly like it does on the Jag. It took probably one afternoon to reach the setting (the led pictured next to the full battery image) which means its conditioned/floating and it remains like that as it should under a constant low volt trickle.

I do trust the Jag branded ctek. I leave these on all year round (for months at a time).
Different units.
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Conditioner 00504F9D-19CF-491C-A7C0-A07E8C39DF32
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Conditioner 925604B3-41C5-4D57-80E7-6D2D94B99174

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My concern would be running the voltage that high, if it truly puts out 15.8 volts, for my AGM batteries running voltage that high is a big no-no.

I use a NOCO 10 for weekly topoffs and the peak output is 14.3-14.5 for a very short period and monthly I use a Odyssey 20 and the conditioning mode on it the output voltage is 14.5 for 6-8 hrs then drops back, running voltages in the 15.5-16 volt range I would think would warm those batteries a lot.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My concern would be running the voltage that high, if it truly puts out 15.8 volts, for my AGM batteries running voltage that high is a big no-no.

I use a NOCO 10 for weekly topoffs and the peak output is 14.3-14.5 for a very short period and monthly I use a Odyssey 20 and the conditioning mode on it the output voltage is 14.5 for 6-8 hrs then drops back, running voltages in the 15.5-16 volt range I would think would warm those batteries a lot.
That is the reason for the warning in my initial statement. The lower charging voltage should be fine...just don’t use the “reconditioning mode” if it is an option.
Sponsored