MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to know the same thing. Mine stopped working after less than a month of ownership. I don't miss it.

Tru, might be best to leave it "as is". Just looking for confirmation... 😉
Sponsored

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
The dealer told me that eventually the Jeep would not start if not replaced, I drove it 6 months without an issue. Also, I think it has something to do with the keyless start as I was told to hold the key near the start button if I had a starting issue. Bit the bullet and replaced it, now it annoys me again cutting off when I forget to turn it off.🙄

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My dash message recently displayed that the start stop is not available and to get it serviced... BUT the Jeep is functioning normally. I just got back from a 500 mile mountain trip with no issues.

My question, should I take it to the dealership to fix? What is the downside of the start/stop not working...

FYI: I have the I4-2L Turbo with the 48v e-torque system. I also have installed the Tazer mini for its other custom options but I am not sure if the tazer start/stop memory setting affect the Jeep when that option is NOT active.
Your jeep is not functioning normally. It needs to be fixed, or you are eventually going to be left in a walmart parking lot or the side of the highway waiting on a flatbed.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Your jeep is not functioning normally. It needs to be fixed, or you are eventually going to be left in a walmart parking lot or the side of the highway waiting on a flatbed.

That would mean that when the tazer disabled the ESS setting that would in theory also leave everyone stranded somewhere someday... so that doesn't make sense. PLUS I have the ESS deactivated most of the time through the tazer setup.

Last time I activated it manually it worked, so my thought was that the tazer was causing the pcm to show that it was not able to be used. But now I don't get any messages either way. So maybe a computer override error.... we'll see if it shows up again. It's been a while....

Last edited:

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
If you have any explanations I am very interested

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:like:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Just get the Smart Stop Start mentioned before. It was the first mod I did to my Jeep back in February. Turned it off and haven't turned it back on.
https://www.smartstopstart.com/
I think that’s the “etc.” he didn’t want to buy or install. You’re correct though, that is the most reliable and cheap way to disable it.

Sponsored

kieseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Overland
Buying a battery load tester is not a bad idea for the long run, when your battery warranty expires and you need to test/change batteries yourself (and especially if you have multiple vehicles). They are not that expensive these days, and it only takes a minute to disconnect the aux battery ground to load test each battery.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
In this thread..... lots of

Wrong train of thought or misconception or whatever...... to think that if you use the button to always turn off ESS or if you use a Tazer JL or a SmartStopStart unit, etc., to in essence do that button push for you, that you will be exempt... not be faced with any and all Aux battery related issues.... Wrong!

Regardless of whether you use or do not use ESS, if/when..... your Auxiliary battery depletes/ages out/chitts the bed and it will repeatedly over the years of your JL ownership..... you will have issues ranging from minimal ......all the way to a no start situation.

Many guys/gals with 2018 JL's will in fact see a no start situation when the Aux battery has problems..

DO be proactive in regard to maintaining, monitoring your Aux battery or................

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to this forum, I discovered many problems on this new Jeep (JL) and thanks to this forum (and of course all the interventions of the members) I managed to "fix" some problems or argue with FCA and their catastrophic after sales service.

Having the 2.2 Diesel engine and my Jeep being of "late 2018" I tested the starting with the auxiliary battery disconnected and I even put a topic https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/start-test-with-dead-aux-battery.78979/ (nobody seems to be interested in doing the same test as me in the topic I opened, too bad) to draw the attention of the owners of 2.2 Diesel of a possible problem. Luckily my 2018 has no problem starting if the AUX battery is sick, and I'm relieved!

If only there was a "simple" and clear solution to permanently remove the AUX battery and put everything on the main one I would finally be relaxed for my future. I doubt that this is feasible so I will have to live with this "unprofessional design" from FCA

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks to this forum, I discovered many problems on this new Jeep (JL) and thanks to this forum (and of course all the interventions of the members) I managed to "fix" some problems or argue with FCA and their catastrophic after sales service.

Having the 2.2 Diesel engine and my Jeep being of "late 2018" I tested the starting with the auxiliary battery disconnected and I even put a topic https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/start-test-with-dead-aux-battery.78979/ to draw the attention of the owners of 2.2 Diesel of a possible problem. Luckily my 2018 has no problem starting if the AUX battery is sick, and I'm relieved!

If only there was a "simple" and clear solution to permanently remove the AUX battery and put everything on the main one I would finally be relaxed for my future. I doubt that this is feasible so I will have to live with this "unprofessional design" from FCA
@SwissSteph

Actually, you can in fact remove the Aux battery and wire things up so you would run with just the Main battery. Do this though and you would not want to use ESS as no Aux in use would put strain lets call it on the Main battery.. Anyway, doable and not that hard to do...

-

Another easily reversible / less invasive way, is to use a fused bypass jumper and with that connected/in use, you can also run with just the Main battery.

With this way.... you leave the Aux battery in place for say as a backup battery. Again, you would want to restrict use of ESS. This jumper thing will cost you about $10 to accomplish. I have been running with this type of set-up for well over 2 yrs. and say 35,000 miles +. No problems at all doing so.

SO, yes there are simple solutions....

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t understand ESS whatsoever. It’s very obvious.
True.... I'm using the term ESS as a shorthand for 'engine start stop' but I clearly mentioned I have the etorque version, so I don't have that mini aux battery but rather the more robust 48vaux. battery. I should have used ass for auto start stop

Is there a link that supports the idea that when the auto ss is not working in the etorque setup that it could leave someone stranded.
Sponsored