Audio system issue - cutting in and out

Bloveless

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have been having this same issue, last winter, when it started happening, the dealer was unable to figure out what was happening, replaced the radio in March. Thought it was done but then this winter, after the first frost, it started happening again, the issue is hard to make happen, so the dealer is just not able to do anything. Not sure what to do next to get it addressed
Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
If you read the thread...everyone knows itā€™s the reverse camera and not the radio needs replacing. Get your reverse camera replaced, problem solved.

Bloveless

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
If you read the thread...everyone knows itā€™s the reverse camera and not the radio needs replacing. Get your reverse camera replaced, problem solved.
So the issue I'm having is more that the dealer can't recreate the problem. They have it now, but won't work on it unless they can have it happen...I have given them the star case number and they still won't remove the cam unless it happens while they have it...sorry I did not put that info in my last post. I was hoping to maybe get some advice with dealing with the dealer/jeep service side of this issue

Bloveless

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So the issue I'm having is more that the dealer can't recreate the problem. They have it now, but won't work on it unless they can have it happen...I have given them the star case number and they still won't remove the cam unless it happens while they have it...sorry I did not put that info in my last post. I was hoping to maybe get some advice with dealing with the dealer/jeep service side of this issue

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I experienced similar challenges with my dealer getting this resolved. I never did feel like they were pushing back but that they are required to justify their work back to Jeep to get it paid for. So they had to follow a set process. I had Jeep Cares start a star case from this forum first which I think helped but did not pave the way perfectly. After a long period of back and forth and them not being able to duplicate the issue on warm days we came up with a good strategy to leave my Jeep at the dealer overnight outside on a sub 30F night and they planned to check it first thing in the morning - maybe this approach works for you?

Ironically due to covid they did end up just replacing the camera without the overnight in the cold attempt. No issues with stereo since.

Sponsored

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
This thread re-ignites every winter. I don't understand why the dealerships don't already have it in their systems that the only solution to this problem is to get the rear camera replaced. All of us that have gone through it had to go through all the steps, painfully... getting stereo replaced, etc... Nothing works except for either the cold weather to end or the rear camera to be replaced. Unfortunately even if the dealership recreates the problem, when they plug in their computer, no error message pops up. So it's very annoying they tell people that they can't do anything until they can recreate the problem, because even if they do recreate it, they still don't know what to do.... unless they read this thread. Or maybe a JEEP CARES rep can help any of you having the issue get this done through the dealership. Good luck all. I know how annoying it is, I've been through it.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
+1 on that - fixed my issue. I also HAD to do it since the lens on my original camera shattered for some unknown reason (it was -20F though).

I just bought the part online for like $80 and did it - didn't deal with warranties (it also wasn't in a factory mount any more) and Jeep mechanics whom don't seem to know issues like this as well as we the owners do (note in another forum the issue I had on a transmission leak they didn't want to fix - but ultimately did).

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on that - fixed my issue. I also HAD to do it since the lens on my original camera shattered for some unknown reason (it was -20F though).

I just bought the part online for like $80 and did it - didn't deal with warranties (it also wasn't in a factory mount any more) and Jeep mechanics whom don't seem to know issues like this as well as we the owners do (note in another forum the issue I had on a transmission leak they didn't want to fix - but ultimately did).
You made the right choice replacing the camera yourself. I wish I had done it myself. The warranty job they did was horrible. In replacing my camera, when they put the mount back on (I have the Mopar reinforced mount on), they must have lost pieces (nuts and bolts) because they put random silver bolts back on one area where there was black bolts previously, and they crunched my rear light cable, cutting it, and disabling my rear brake light. I didn't notice until I got home and someone pointed it out to me. I had to remove the tire and mount, fix the cable myself and just left the dealership a bad review. Not going back there again. Reason why I've done every single oil change and tire rotation myself. The dealerships around me are a joke.

gillman34

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
This is the exact issue Im having!!! Old dealer gave me the brush off,even though it happened while on the test drive with the technician. Said it needs an update even though it has the current software. When I asked how that happens I got a dumb look and shrugged shoulders. They had my Jeep 2 days without fixing it,no loaner or rental offered or available when I asked.
Terrible customer service!!!
A different dealer is scheduled to look at it next week,if he same thing happens, I will trade it in!!!!
Im not putting up with lousy service.I WILL take my money elsewhere.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This is the exact issue Im having!!! Old dealer gave me the brush off,even though it happened while on the test drive with the technician. Said it needs an update even though it has the current software. When I asked how that happens I got a dumb look and shrugged shoulders. They had my Jeep 2 days without fixing it,no loaner or rental offered or available when I asked.
Terrible customer service!!!
A different dealer is scheduled to look at it next week,if he same thing happens, I will trade it in!!!!
Im not putting up with lousy service.I WILL take my money elsewhere.
Sorry to hear of the frustration this is causing you, gillman34. Please let us know how the appointment went and if you still need assistance, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

hfd121

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just was reading this post, my 2018 JL has started doing this with in the last to weeks, I have had it for a little over a year and never had this happen. Does anyone know if their is a fix for this. It seems to start with the remote start not working if the jeep sits for a few days, and when I go to start it regular the radio starts to go on and off. JeepCare can the dealer help?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just was reading this post, my 2018 JL has started doing this with in the last to weeks, I have had it for a little over a year and never had this happen. Does anyone know if their is a fix for this. It seems to start with the remote start not working if the jeep sits for a few days, and when I go to start it regular the radio starts to go on and off. JeepCare can the dealer help?
Hey, hfd121. The dealership would be able to take a look into your concerns and provide any repair steps. Have you scheduled an appointment yet? We suggest doing so and if you need any more assistance after visiting, send us a private message!

Kate
Jeep Cares

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I'm getting a replacement on Thursday....today it was 43 degrees ...it started right up...drove it 40 minutes to the river...no issues...radio, bluetooth phone calls....parked for 2.5 hours...when I came back, all my presets were gone....drove it back home...it worked fine, other than the presets being gone...parked for an hour...when I came out, it took 10 minutes to come on....I have the base model, so my AC controls are separate...thank goodness....it seems to be getting worse....but jeep cares has been great with their follow up...hopefully it all gets resolved on Thursday....if not, worse case is the new one lasts till the warranty is up, and I'm stuck replacing with something else on my own...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm getting a replacement on Thursday....today it was 43 degrees ...it started right up...drove it 40 minutes to the river...no issues...radio, bluetooth phone calls....parked for 2.5 hours...when I came back, all my presets were gone....drove it back home...it worked fine, other than the presets being gone...parked for an hour...when I came out, it took 10 minutes to come on....I have the base model, so my AC controls are separate...thank goodness....it seems to be getting worse....but jeep cares has been great with their follow up...hopefully it all gets resolved on Thursday....if not, worse case is the new one lasts till the warranty is up, and I'm stuck replacing with something else on my own...
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
Jeep Cares

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
Jeep Cares
Thank you. Your team has been involved with getting me to this point...which I hope is the final resolution. Thank you.
Sponsored