Audio System Aftermarket Upgrade

snipertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5, 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT
I just got my JLUR back from the installers. Although I had the Alpine Premium system, I wanted a little (lot) more. My requirements were: The head unit stays, no custom looking additions (lights, etc...), and no permanent alterations. The system sounds totally amazing now with or without the top! Here is what I put into the jeep:

Front knee panel: Audiofrog GB40
Dash: Audiofrog GB15 tweeter
Sound bar: Audiofrog GB40 and GB10 tweeters
JL audio VX800/8i amp for the mids and tweeters
JL audio 10TW3-D4 subwoofer
JL audio XD300/1v2 amp for subwoofer
PAC ampPRO amplifier replacement interface

Don't get me wrong, the Alpine was fine, but this is 1000X better!
IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

snipertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its purchased. Just wanted everything to look stock. No flags for thieves!

Dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
I have the PACAmpPro sitting on the bench along with a sub and amp. I have the Alpine system as well. I'm wondering if there was any issue the installer faced with the Jeep's Active Noise Cancellation?

OP
OP

snipertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the PACAmpPro sitting on the bench along with a sub and amp. I have the Alpine system as well. I'm wondering if there was any issue the installer faced with the Jeep's Active Noise Cancellation?
No issues at all as far as I can tell.

Dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
Interesting...

Well, I know what my Labor Day weekend project is now lol. Only thing holding me back before was the ANC. Thanks for the reply and nice system you have there!

Sponsored

OP
OP

snipertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting...

Well, I know what my Labor Day weekend project is now lol. Only thing holding me back before was the ANC. Thanks for the reply and nice system you have there!
Thanks! Enjoy your install.

drewloving

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
stealthbox.jpg
Great update! The install looks clean - virtually invisible.

I took my Jeep to a local shop recently to see what they could do.

Without the Alpine, they could drop a big (obvious) sub and box in the cargo area (which I declined - too easy to steal and would compromise the utility of the cargo area). They like to use the JL Audio Stealthbox product, but (surprise!) it isn't on the market for the JL...just JK. I emailed and the rep replied that they have a Wrangler JL in their shop and a new Stealthbox will be on the market soon.

The wiring harness that they also use for JK's isn't updated for JL's yet (AmpPRO 4) - were you able to use the AP4-CH21 on your upgrade or do you have a different model number you can share?

Why did you place the amps in the cargo tub instead of under one of the front seats?

I'm with you - no change to the head unit, extra lights, etc....just need some base and better range and power through all the speakers!

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Whats the material cost there? Install cost?

Also, is there any difference in water resistant materials used by factory system versus aftermarket materials?

OP
OP

snipertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stealthbox.jpg
Great update! The install looks clean - virtually invisible.

I took my Jeep to a local shop recently to see what they could do.

Without the Alpine, they could drop a big (obvious) sub and box in the cargo area (which I declined - too easy to steal and would compromise the utility of the cargo area). They like to use the JL Audio Stealthbox product, but (surprise!) it isn't on the market for the JL...just JK. I emailed and the rep replied that they have a Wrangler JL in their shop and a new Stealthbox will be on the market soon.

The wiring harness that they also use for JK's isn't updated for JL's yet (AmpPRO 4) - were you able to use the AP4-CH21 on your upgrade or do you have a different model number you can share?

Why did you place the amps in the cargo tub instead of under one of the front seats?

I'm with you - no change to the head unit, extra lights, etc....just need some base and better range and power through all the speakers!
Yes, I used the AP4-CH21.
The new 10” sub fit perfectly in the existing alpine box so I just left it there. Under the seats have rear air vents, I think. Good luck with your install!

ED737395-B215-417C-BF86-216D84922DAE.png

OP
OP

snipertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whats the material cost there? Install cost?

Also, is there any difference in water resistant materials used by factory system versus aftermarket materials?
Total cost was $6400. ~$5000 of that was the components. No water issues with the speakers. The amps are mounted on 1”spacers in the cargo box which has a drain hole. Unless I submerge the vehicle, it should be fine!

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yes, I used the AP4-CH21.
The new 10” sub fit perfectly in the existing alpine box so I just left it there. Under the seats have rear air vents, I think. Good luck with your install!

ED737395-B215-417C-BF86-216D84922DAE.png
JLUS non Alpine owner here...Any idea where I could pickup the OEM Sub enclosure/mount? I'd like to be able to put a 10" in there down the road and I like how it conceals it and takes up less space.

OP
OP

snipertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS non Alpine owner here...Any idea where I could pickup the OEM Sub enclosure/mount? I'd like to be able to put a 10" in there down the road and I like how it conceals it and takes up less space.
JL audio is working on a stealth box for the new JL’s. I think in the next few months it should be out.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my JLUR back from the installers. Although I had the Alpine Premium system, I wanted a little (lot) more. My requirements were: The head unit stays, no custom looking additions (lights, etc...), and no permanent alterations. The system sounds totally amazing now with or without the top! Here is what I put into the jeep:

Front knee panel: Audiofrog GB40
Dash: Audiofrog GB15 tweeter
Sound bar: Audiofrog GB40 and GB10 tweeters
JL audio VX800/8i amp for the mids and tweeters
JL audio 10TW3-D4 subwoofer
JL audio XD300/1v2 amp for subwoofer
PAC ampPRO amplifier replacement interface

Don't get me wrong, the Alpine was fine, but this is 1000X better!
IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
Nice Job! We have very comparable setups. I can tell you that you are going to f'n love the VXi amp! Did you get the DRC-205 (Dual knob, color-coded profile selector)? I've had mine for about a month and permanently mounted it last night. Enjoy your system!
Sponsored