Asking again about Tire Size

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Forgive me for asking this again. I posted a similar question a few week ago, but the thread got hijacked and I just let it run. MY JLU has the 2.5 Teraflex spacer lift with the lower control/caster arms. Looking to put 35" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires on the Stock black 17/7.5 rims. Is anyone running this config on those stock rims? I want to know how wide I can go without sticking out past the fender. It can be right up to the fender but just not sticking out. Aslo, without having to put on wheel spacers. If you are running this config please post a few picture as I want to see how this looks.
Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Forgive me for asking this again. I posted a similar question a few week ago, but the thread got hijacked and I just let it run. MY JLU has the 2.5 Teraflex spacer lift with the lower control/caster arms. Looking to put 35" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires on the Stock black 17/7.5 rims. Is anyone running this config on those stock rims? I want to know how wide I can go without sticking out past the fender. It can be right up to the fender but just not sticking out. Aslo, without having to put on wheel spacers. If you are running this config please post a few picture as I want to see how this looks.
I am pretty sure with the stock rims, you are going to rub on the lower control arms at full lock since the wheel is tucked more than with most aftermarket wheels.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I am pretty sure with the stock rims, you are going to rub on the lower control arms at full lock since the wheel is tucked more than with most aftermarket wheels.
This is correct. I am running 35" STT Pros without a lift and rub ever so slightly with a 2dr Rubi. I'd imagine it is much more of an issue on other trims.

Reactions: eck

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
This is correct. I am running 35" STT Pros without a lift and rub ever so slightly with a 2dr Rubi. I'd imagine it is much more of an issue on other trims.
Yep, the Rubicon axle is (someone correct me if I am remembering wrong) 1.5" wider than the Sport/Sahara, so on a Rubicon you are getting an extra 3/4" clearance between the wheels and the interior components. If you rub slightly, a Sport/Sahara will rub quite a lot.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Can you post a pic. I can learn a ton from your pic.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Also what is the with of your tire and your rims?

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
The stock wheels are too narrow for that tire. It may void your warranty.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Only 35” tire you can safely clear on stock wheels (without wheel spacers) are the 35x11r18 Duratracs (285/75r18), but these are still 18” stock Sahara wheels, 35s won’t happen on stock 17” wheels. See it on mine below.

8714490A-E299-42C7-977F-3785685DEBDA.jpeg

Last edited:

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I ran 315/70R17 stt pros on the stock Black steel sport wheels. With the Mopar lift and 1.75” wheel spacers.

Mounted by America’s tire company. They fit fine on the 7.5” wheel. In fact, on their site it states 7.5”-11” width wheel.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Need to upgrade your rims.

Your oem rims are not wide enough.

At the least a 8.5" wide rim would be my suggestion

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
As intentsrig mentioned above, the stock rim size is within spec for the 315/70R17. Many of us run this exact setup with no issues. Just out of curiosity.. are just assuming they won't work-- or have you run into problems in the past?
I'm a specs guy...isnt the stock oem 7.5" wide?!

It will "work" but you would be going against approved requirements.

Poses a danger, possible loss of air, etc..

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP, most 35” tires require a 8”+ wheel. This has less to do with rubbing; more to do with increasing the risk of popping a bead, particularly when aired down on the trail.

If you check tiresize.com, you will find to lots of good information on any tire, such as actual tire width and height, weight, tread depth, and even recommended rim width.

Good luck!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
OP, if you check tiresize.com, you will find to lots of good information on any tire, such as actual tire width and height, weight, tread depth, and even recommended rim width.

Most 35” tires require a 8”+ wheel. This has less to do with rubbing; more to do with increasing the risk of popping a bead, particularly when aired down on the trail.

Good luck!
This guy said it better than I

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I'm a specs guy...isnt the stock oem 7.5" wide?!

It will "work" but you would be going against approved requirements.

Poses a danger, possible loss of air, etc..
Ah, now I see where I am confused. A year ago when I got my tires, the manufacturers website definitely said 7.5 - 11. When I looked today it was adjusted to 8. I stand corrected... and I guess some new rims are in my future :)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
OP, most 35” tires require a 8”+ wheel. This has less to do with rubbing; more to do with increasing the risk of popping a bead, particularly when aired down on the trail.

If you check tiresize.com, you will find to lots of good information on any tire, such as actual tire width and height, weight, tread depth, and even recommended rim width.

Good luck!
To the contrary. A wider tire on a skinny rim will hold a bead much better than a wide wheel. They used to be called a poor mans bead lock. There isn't anything inherently dangerous about it. It will just not wear as well or get the proper contact patch until lower pressures.

They only issues the OP will have is the proper backspacing for a sport. He will need to either run new wheels, or spacers for steering clearance.
Sponsored