Sponsored

Are LED headlights worth $900?

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
I went with them. Can't really tell you why other than they look cool. Its one of the few things I got over a bone stock Rubicon that was "extra."
Sponsored

golden809

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I spent the money and would have spent more! Did the aftermarkets on my Grand Cherokee and had no one to blame but myself. Fogging, shorts, hot capacitors to stop rapid blinking. Never again. Well worth it to me.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
First new car purchase, so I ordered exactly what I wanted (mainly to get the MT). I think the LED package is great. Like other said, whether the price is worth it is pretty individual. Just be financially responsible, lol.

I've modded cars in the past, but don't have as much time these days. I knew if I didn't get some things done when I ordered they may be on the wishlist for a while! (Tow, LED, dual top). Also had SO buy-in, so strike while the iron is hot.

GL either way for those still considering!

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Hi Everyone, long time reader first time poster. I’m in the process of ordering my 2019 Rubi (through Craig at Koons) and I’m wanted to get the collective opinion of the forum on two options. wondering if the LED headlights are really worth the extra $900. Won’t some kind of LED aftermarket lights be available forb1/5th the cost?

Also is the hardtop headliner worth it? I had a 97 Sahara back in the day and it didn’t seem that noisy with the hardtop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-mike
Heck yes!! Plus you get the new design taillamp, interiors, etc...the headlights are awesome.

Sponsored

SuperSixOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Techie
I live in densely wooded area of Cental California. It gets mad foggy and misty in the morning and late nights. After I researched the light package it became a must have feature for me. The first night with them on I was blown away of how clear and bright the road seemed with them. I never regretted it. One of the best options on the new JL. Probably the best $900 I ever spent. I’m a cheap skate!

nova99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5 50i Black Sapphire, 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax Ebony Twilight, 2018 JLUR Bright White
LED worth it 100%. $900 is nothing for OEM light options on all 4 corners. I have 3 vehicles and could NEVER go back to halogen. Must have on my rigs.

jhonybravo

First Name
marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler JL
Hi Everyone, long time reader first time poster. I’m in the process of ordering my 2019 Rubi (through Craig at Koons) and I’m wanted to get the collective opinion of the forum on two options. wondering if the LED headlights are really worth the extra $900. Won’t some kind of LED aftermarket lights be available forb1/5th the cost?

Also is the hardtop headliner worth it? I had a 97 Sahara back in the day and it didn’t seem that noisy with the hardtop.

Thanks-mike
well

Thanks-mike
in my opinion, i rather put another $300 and get the HID PROJECT revision lights . bottom line.

Blackwing 55

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal JLUR , 05 5.9 Dodge , 2014 Goldwing

Thanks-mike
I have them on my JL their awesome if you travel at night but I did adjust them down just a little was continuing to get flashed by the oncoming traffic.

ShaunTheJeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2D JL Rubicon
Careful basing your decisions on responses to a post like this one. Simple psychology says you’ll mostly draw responses from folks defending their decision to spend $900 extra.
And the other responses will be folks that didn't buy them claiming people who bought them feel the need to defend them? :D They're good lights. There is no reason not to get LED lights which are common modern technology. Except maybe cost. If you really can't afford it, you have to look at things to cut. Good headlights should not be 1st on your cut list. Get the LEDs. They're cool. They're super bright. I get flashed all the time. But I give it 100% probability there'll be a guy claiming this is just defending... ;)
I was only giving my opinion. Same as you and everyone else. Just because you might not have agreed with my opinion, doesn’t make it invalid. Would I have ordered LEDs if I was given the choice on my Sport? No.
You didn't just share your opinion and say you didn't care for them, which would have been fair. You said that if you actually claim to like them it's only because you're defending your decision to overspend $900 and thus the only correct response is yours. From my read of this thread, almost everyone who got them likes them. But that's just a lot of people defending their overspend? Come on. I couldn't see seriously buying a $40k-$50k Rubi and not getting LED's today.

If you can afford a new Rubi, you should not skip the LED package. Of the 6 packages, this would be my #2 (out of 6) recommendation!

Last edited:

Sponsored

18RubiJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, JLUR
Now that I have driven Jeep multiple times during the night, I would say it is worth every cent and a must have! Back in August when I ordered mine, LEDs were restriction item but so glad FCA accepted the sold orders for them.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they are worth it, expensive but worth it. Before I ordered mine, I saw them at night and drove one with LED's at night. That's all it took. The LED lights are bright and crisp and well focused. One thing to consider. Good aftermarket LED's are slightly less but you have to install them or have them installed. If you order or buy one with factory LED package they are covered under the new car factory warranty. If anything happens, they fix it, not you. Just more peace of mind. If you're going to spend the money for a new Jeep, get what you really want. We ordered ours and it was one of the top three must haves.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I too am try to decide about the LED lights.
I am thinking of getting the safety pkg, which I feel is more useful for a daily car and it comes with rear LED lights.
Later, if I want to upgrade the front lights I can.
I'd try LED Bulbs (that install directly into your halogen lamps) before paying $900 for LED light assemblies. I have Mopar LED fog assemblies (MSRP $210 each fog light) for my Rubicon bumper (couldn't use stock halogen sport fogs) and then I purchased LED bulbs for under $150...and they are about the same intensity as the Mopar LED assemblies.

At this point, I'll never convert my Headlamps to LED assemblies as I like the little Jeep cutout in the Halogen lamp and the LED bulbs are actually LEDs...without having to replace my Halogen lamps.

There are more affordable ways to get LED headlights than replacing the lamps altogether. As for Rear LED lights...I'm not concerned with that, so I haven't even started searching for them.

But hope you find what you're looking for! :)

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
have you looked at the LED lights on the JL? they have that funky fish eye lens. THAT is where your $900 cost comes from.
the way light comes off the diodes when they are energized (LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, if you didnt know) is different from the way light comes off the tungsten filament of a halogen bulb..... hence, the funky lens to direct and focus the light properly. you can't just toss an LED bulb in a housing that wasn't designed for the way the light is emitted and expect it to perform the same. sure, it will be bright, but it wont be the same....light will scatter and be annoying to the guy in front of you and the guy coming at you. the car and lighting companies spent a lot of time and money on those funky housings and lenses for a reason. if they couldve done without them, they wouldve
Sponsored