Sponsored

ARB deflator problems ... your solution?

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Bought an ARB tire deflator for the new JL ... tried it out and it leaks at the brass neck-to-deflator interface ... see arrow below. Went back to the store and checked other units and other brands to see if mine was missing an o-ring. Nope, that's the way they're designed. It works on my Summit, 'cuz the valve stem neck-to-deflator interface is rubber on those tires, but not on the JL.

So, am I the only one with this problem? Do you just ignore the secondary leakage? Have you switched to something else?

Valve Stem.jpg
Sponsored

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Interesting. I dont have a deflator yet but worked great on my JK I had. Does it still deflate “just as fast”? (relative to tire size of course). Does the secondary leakage make the overall deflate process slower becasue of said leakage?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Bought an ARB tire deflator for the new JL ... tried it out and it leaks at the brass neck-to-deflator interface ... see arrow below. Went back to the store and checked other units and other brands to see if mine was missing an o-ring. Nope, that's the way they're designed. It works on my Summit, 'cuz the valve stem neck-to-deflator interface is rubber on those tires, but not on the JL.

So, am I the only one with this problem? Do you just ignore the secondary leakage? Have you switched to something else?

Valve Stem.jpg
I have an ARB deflator and it works great, but I swapped my valves out with the tires so no idea How it works on stock valves.

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Interesting. I dont have a deflator yet but worked great on my JK I had. Does it still deflate “just as fast”? (relative to tire size of course). Does the secondary leakage make the overall deflate process slower becasue of said leakage?
The deflator works great for airing down fast ... that's why I decided to buy one. The secondary leakage only contributes to the speed of airing down. The problem is that now I can't trust the pressure gauge reading. Plus, you have to time the re-installation of the valve core to correspond to a moving target. Agitates my OCD tendencies.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
The deflator works great for airing down fast ... that's why I decided to buy one. The secondary leakage only contributes to the speed of airing down. The problem is that now I can't trust the pressure gauge reading. Plus, you have to time the re-installation of the valve core to correspond to a moving target. Agitates my OCD tendencies.
Ah, that makes sense. PITA, but you can always check the tpms at the dash to kinda calibrate your reading off the guage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Stopped by the dealer today to show them how loose the ball joints are on the new JL ... would you believe the lower ones were finger tight? While there, I checked out the stems on my two trade in vehicles - 2014 Durango and 2014 Grand Cherokee. Both of them have the same type of valve stem as in the picture above.

So, either no one is airing down, or you're using something besides the ARB style deflator.

What are you using to air down your tires? The ARB is going back to the store tomorrow, but I still need something besides a twig from along the trail.

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
So, either no one is airing down, or you're using something besides the ARB style deflator.

What are you using to air down your tires? The ARB is going back to the store tomorrow, but I still need something besides a twig from along the trail.
Digging up an old thread... I got an ARB tire deflator and tried it out, same problem, it leaks at the stem.

Did you ever solve the problem? Add an o-ring?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Digging up an old thread... I got an ARB tire deflator and tried it out, same problem, it leaks at the stem.

I am using a knock off version of the deflator from Off Road Warehouse. It was less expensive than the ARB. The deflator tightens up before bottoming out against the stem shoulder. The bevel on the stem looks like the standard 37 degree AN fitting angle, but could be wrong. The one I have works great. No air leakage at all. Ideally the deflator will seat up against the stem surface. Not sure how to get a small o ring in the unit.

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Nope, any fix with my stems and the ARB deflator would have been slightly Micky Mouse. I've seen it used on other JL Jeeps. Think it's the luck of the draw where your stems are sourced from. I returned mine and bought a set of Stauns Tire Deflators.

Thus, my fix was to buy a set of Staun Tire Deflators. The plus is that they work faster than the ARB and you don't have to kneel down and stay by each tire while it's deflating. Two cons ... one is that setting the pressure is tedious. Two is that you only have the pressure you set them at. I deflate to 14 psi all the time, so not having an on the trail adjustment option is no problem.

I later added a set of Trailhead tire deflators (Trailheadtiredeflators.com) because they are extremely easy to set pressure. The con is that you need about a 20psi differential in pressure (street pressure compared to trail pressure) for them to consistently start to deflate. For me that's not a problem, but my son is right at the 20 psi differential ... he's probably going to purchase a set of Staun Tire Deflators. Again, the Trailhead deflators can only deflate to the preset presssure ... no adjusting at the trail head.

Looks like I've been using these deflators for over two years ... and like them very much.

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
I am using a knock off version of the deflator from Off Road Warehouse. It was less expensive than the ARB. The deflator tightens up before bottoming out against the stem shoulder. The bevel on the stem looks like the standard 37 degree AN fitting angle, but could be wrong. The one I have works great. No air leakage at all. Ideally the deflator will seat up against the stem surface. Not sure how to get a small o ring in the unit.
Thank you for the recommendation, I will give them a try.

Sponsored

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, any fix with my stems and the ARB deflator would have been slightly Micky Mouse. I've seen it used on other JL Jeeps. Think it's the luck of the draw where your stems are sourced from. I returned mine and bought a set of Stauns Tire Deflators.

Thus, my fix was to buy a set of Staun Tire Deflators. The plus is that they work faster than the ARB and you don't have to kneel down and stay by each tire while it's deflating. Two cons ... one is that setting the pressure is tedious. Two is that you only have the pressure you set them at. I deflate to 14 psi all the time, so not having an on the trail adjustment option is no problem.

I later added a set of Trailhead tire deflators (Trailheadtiredeflators.com) because they are extremely easy to set pressure. The con is that you need about a 20psi differential in pressure (street pressure compared to trail pressure) for them to consistently start to deflate. For me that's not a problem, but my son is right at the 20 psi differential ... he's probably going to purchase a set of Staun Tire Deflators. Again, the Trailhead deflators can only deflate to the preset presssure ... no adjusting at the trail head.

Looks like I've been using these deflators for over two years ... and like them very much.
I have a set of Staun Tire Deflators in my wishlist on Amazon ;) Maybe I'll get a set.

I do like the option of being able to deflate to whatever pressure I want, but I guess in reality how often do I do that. 37 psi and 20 psi is about all I do.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Last edited:

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)