ARB BASE Rack Installation on JLU Wrangler

OP
OP

Boondoggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
This thread is super helpful as I just ordered an ARB Base Rack as well! I'm eyeing the RoofNest Condor Overland.

I was curious what's the width and depth of the horizontal bars on the 61x51?
Including the dovetail grooves the platform measures about 51.5". The 2 verticals are about 2" each, so that leaves you with 47.5" horizontal slats.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Boondoggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I recently was given a Weather Tech gift certificate and I wound up ordering a set of full sun shades. When I received them I realized that I need some way to store them other than just rolling them up. I considered a Blue Ridge Overland attic but I didn't want to impact the passenger compartment. I then started looking on Amazon and found this $10 net. It turns out that it is the perfect size for the rear of a Jeep hard top. It attaches with (4) round buttons and stretches tight. I did need to add (1) additional button that I 3D printed and secured with 3M VHB tape and a screw but at $10 for the whole package, it probably makes more sense to just order (2) nets. Here are some pictures of the final install. I have included the gcode for the extra button in case anyone needs it. This is definitely a great low cost mod.

Picture54.jpg

Picture49.jpg

Picture51.jpg

Picture46.jpg

Picture47.jpg

Picture48.jpg

Picture50.jpg

Picture53.jpg

Picture52.jpg
That's a great find for $10 Art; I have a cargo net from the car before, so if repurposing that doesn't work, it'll be "Hello $10 deal".

OP
OP

Boondoggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing your solutuion with photos and video much appeciated. The bolt starter solution is genius, I've used the metal pipe trick at the end of the wrench before on engine & axle work before to acheive extra torque, cool to see that being employed here for extension. My tent is smaller and lighter than yours, mine is 130 lbs, and 60x48 closed. I've never heard of clamp mounts sliding side to side, that is a bit surprising given the tension they have, and force required to move the whole apparatus, I'll need to research that more. I don't plan on doing anything too extreme with RTT mounted though. Good luck on wrapping up your build, it looks fantastic!

P.S. I just got my narrow bridge plate kit, I found the differences in weight specs per configuration rather interesting.

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg
Yeah, the different mounting options and their load ratings were definitely very interesting. If your RTT is 60x48 closed, then it will cover the entire rack as well (if you opt for the 61x51. Which, I think would also require you to mount the Rack to the upside down RTT first before securing the assembly to the rails. If I'm not mistaken, you will also be in need of a nut starter & wrench extender.

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
What is the overall height of the base rack over the roof of the Jeep? From what I've found online its saying 2.75" overall increased height? Can anyone confirm that? Thanks!

Last edited:

digimark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 MT JK 2-dr X, Nacho JLUR 4xe.
Just found this thread, lots of good information. I have a Rhino-Rack Backbone system installed on my 4xe JLUR. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether the ARB Base Rack platform could be mounted to the Rhino-Rack backbone? Relatively easy or with difficulty? Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Boondoggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
What is the overall height of the base rack over the roof of the Jeep? From what I've found online its saying 2.75" overall increased height? Can anyone confirm that? Thanks!
Hope you've already confirmed the answer, but yes, that is correct. The rail is 1-5/8" tall, and to the top of the slats is 2.75". Additionally, if you're mounting something larger than the platform (like my RTT). The corner pieces will add additional 1/4" to the height (above the slats).

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope you've already confirmed the answer, but yes, that is correct. The rail is 1-5/8" tall, and to the top of the slats is 2.75". Additionally, if you're mounting something larger than the platform (like my RTT). The corner pieces will add additional 1/4" to the height (above the slats).
I appreciate the input! How are you liking the rack? Any complaints or issues with it?

OP
OP

Boondoggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I appreciate the input! How are you liking the rack? Any complaints or issues with it?
Love the low-profile and the sturdiness of the BASERack system. Took it out west for a 6 week exploration trip. Went on some pretty rough trails; it held up to pretty rough forces, especially side to side forces. But those were my primary overlanding needs (1) Low profile as I have a large RTT, (2) strong enough to hold up to everything (except extreme "rock crawling" obstacles).

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB BASE Rack Installation on JLU Wrangler Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 12.13.51 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB BASE Rack Installation on JLU Wrangler Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 12.14.27 PM

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love the low-profile and the sturdiness of the BASERack system. Took it out west for a 6 week exploration trip. Went on some pretty rough trails; it held up to pretty rough forces, especially side to side forces. But those were my primary overlanding needs (1) Low profile as I have a large RTT, (2) strong enough to hold up to everything (except extreme "rock crawling" obstacles).

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB BASE Rack Installation on JLU Wrangler Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 12.14.27 PM

Appreciate the input. Pretty sold on the rack!

OP
OP

Boondoggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Just be careful before pulling the trigger and really consider your needs and uses; based on those, there could be real drawbacks!!

Appreciate the input. Pretty sold on the rack!
Sponsored