Sponsored

Anyone install the Rock Slide Engineering drop down steps?

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
YES, now lets say you have the doors off but want the step? Step wont deploy, right?
If you turn it on and off they will deploy
You could flip the switch and have both sides deploy (since there are no magnets present (the unit would think all doors were open) or as a previous poster suggested (and I do) I carry several small rare earth magnets that I could place over the sensor to make it think doors were present and then take the magnet off to make it think the door opened.

Then again, I'm not sure there is a perfect solution for every permutation of doors off/doors on, wanted steps to deploy or not deploy, but there are work around.

https://the4x4guys.com/product/rock-slide-engineering-jl-4d-step-sliders/ ($1799.99 free shipping)
I just went outside to test with the doors open flipping the switch on and off does nothing tried all doors open for clarification. If doors are closed and turn off they will not open disabled. Best thing I have found is something like this https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Ma...ed+magnets&dpPl=1&dpID=51Fxaa54MiL&ref=plSrch
Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
You could flip the switch and have both sides deploy (since there are no magnets present (the unit would think all doors were open) or as a previous poster suggested (and I do) I carry several small rare earth magnets that I could place over the sensor to make it think doors were present and then take the magnet off to make it think the door opened.

Then again, I'm not sure there is a perfect solution for every permutation of doors off/doors on, wanted steps to deploy or not deploy, but there are work around.

https://the4x4guys.com/product/rock-slide-engineering-jl-4d-step-sliders/ ($1799.99 free shipping)
Gotcha, Thanks! I didnt get the other poster on the magnets - I have easy access to those as I work with magnets where I work.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha, Thanks! I didnt get the other poster on the magnets - I have easy access to those as I work with magnets where I work.
Yeah, I too just went outside to my Jeep (its cold out there...lol) and did a test. With the Jeep running and doors closed, I turned the switch off and opened the doors, as advertised the steps did not deploy. I then went and used blue painters tape and taped two 3/4 inch rare earth magnets (strong little suckers) to the sensors on the door opening (body) and since I had the two doors open, as soon as the second magnet was placed, the steps retracted. I then shut them off again and removed a magnet and voila the steps did not deploy, turn the switch on and remove a magnet, steps deploy.

However, I would strongly suggest that you use a better method than blue painters tape in the real world. I'd hate to hear about a step deploying when you didn't want it to because the magnet fell off. My plan is to use the switch for any times with the doors off and not try to trick the system with magnets. I carry two with me for the simple reason that if a door magnet were to fall off or get lost, I don't want to drive home with the step deployed, so I carry two extra magnets........

By the way, I am the owner of The 4x4 Guys store and we are supporting vendors to this Forum. My business user ID is The4x4Guys

Triplethreat4597

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order 09/25: 2019 JLUR, 6speed
Occupation
Human Resources

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well that is awesome don't think was available when I ordered mine but might have lol thanks for posting will order mine Monday!!
Sponsored