Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I really thought I was the only one that thought this. 6th in a JLU Sport S is pointless at 80 on I-95 in South Florida, which is really flat because I find that I lose speed at the slightest incline. 85 is the only time I can use 6th but then my mileage drops below 15 so I have slowed down. Speaking of, am I the only one averaging 15-16 on the interstate? I have Rubicon takes offs and a 2.5 inch lift but in a ton of other threads, I'm seeing people get close to 20.
If you are going 85 mph on the interstate, 15mpg seems about right unless you’re drafting a big rig.

My commute is on a country road cruising at 60 mph. I consistently get ~20mpg with the hard top on. But as soon as I hit 70-80, my mileage drops off a lot.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So those who have the AT are you running in sport mode and forcing it to stay in 6th gear, I am running 315/70R17’s and it jumps between 7-8 on the highway, stays in 7 a lot and I’m running 65-70, I have used a Tazer and set my tire size for 34” and the speedo at 65 reads 1 mph slower than my GPS seed app and I can live with that, my current MPG avg reported is running about 19 on the highway.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I really thought I was the only one that thought this. 6th in a JLU Sport S is pointless at 80 on I-95 in South Florida, which is really flat because I find that I lose speed at the slightest incline. 85 is the only time I can use 6th but then my mileage drops below 15 so I have slowed down. Speaking of, am I the only one averaging 15-16 on the interstate? I have Rubicon takes offs and a 2.5 inch lift but in a ton of other threads, I'm seeing people get close to 20.
From what I have seen, it is the 8 speed getting the really good mileage. My hand calculated lifetime mileage is 16.42 mpg on my 100% stock JLUR 6 speed, which includes a 500 mile trip and 55 mile round trips to work so quite a mix of highway and stop and go. My best tank was 17.7mpg and I live in the foothills outside of Seattle.

As for the sixth gear thing, it is really gutless even though I am over 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Shifting is 100% expected but if a fly hits my windshield at highway speeds I lose 3 mph...forget about hills lol. Gears 1-4 seem okay but I agree, if the gear spread was a little closer in the tranny overall performance at all speeds would improve.

pyrateer

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker (Plum Crazy Purple), 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (6-speed/white/soft top)
I do have a 4.10, but I use 6th all the time. Especially downhill with a strong tail wind! If the wind is from any other direction 6th is not that useful.

Mileage? Who buys a Jeep to get good mileage???

Rubicon Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2017 RAM Power Wagon, 2018 Rubicon - 2D
Pointless how? I use 6th every time I’m on the highway going 60 or faster. I downshift as needed for hills.

I have a 2dr Rubi, FWIW
2X I have a 2 door Rubi also and I love the 6 speed. I average 19-20 MPG on the highway.

Sponsored

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Driving back to Pittsburgh from Koons in DC I used 3rd and 4th to climb the hills. 5th is only good on flat or down hill. I never used 6th. I have a Sport S. Living in PA there are very few flat roads.
I hear you. I'm on the eastern side of PA and I spend more time in 3rd and 4th than any other gear. I don't think I've ever used 6th either.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
As others have said I use 6th all the time on the highway, 5th too. Around town 1-4. If you’re cruising on the highway and it’s relatively flat why not use it?

oneslowjeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
JLUR here, gears 1, 2 & 3 are really short and there's a big jump to 4th.
Off-road, 1,2,3 will be awesome! So short, they'll get the job done! Can't wait to get out Sept 8th. That being said, 6th truely feels like a proper O.D. in the Rubi, really understand why the 3.45 owners are feeling it weak.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
6th gear is good for going east in Kansas with a tail wind. That is one reason I went with the 8 speed auto in our JL after owning a 2012 Rubi manual. It is smarter than me.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
JLU Sport S with Rubicon tires.

6th is only useful going downhill over 70. I rarely use it. And that is on pretty gentle hills in the North Carolina piedmont.

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
2 door Sport with 31’s (265/65/18), Denver metro, really no issues using 6th on main highways.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
New Rubicon Owner here and I am still in the "Breaking-in" period of the engine and I am running it gently from around 500 to about 2500 RPM range. Two things so far; 1st 6th gear (manual Trans) runs fine gets improved mileage over 5th gear...but I live in Houston and NOT any hills here. 2nd, I have been daily driving both my Straight-6 cyl Jeep TJ and my new 3.8 Mopar and I find the Straight-6 simply has more pep at any given RPM range....though I have not pushed the new JL past 2500 RPM.
From what I am reading, I am happy that I ordered the Rubicon Package as now I feel that the Differentials are better geared to take advantage of the Manual Transmission. I don't notice the lack power in 6th gear...but I do notice that 1st gear is walking speed 2nd not much faster. So although I don't get much in 1st gear....at least I can use 6th gear.

WestKY

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4, Jl 2Dr Sport Granite Cyrstal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
6th is there just to squeeze another penny of gas for the EPA. Until you get into mid 70's, check your tach RPM difference is next to nothing between it and 5th. I use it on the flats but where I live flat and straight sways are far and few between. Personally I probably use it less then 10% of the time.

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
I am very new to different gearings in our Wranglers, so I have a quick question. Does Sports/Sahara with LSD option (Dana 44 rear axle) have 3.45 or 4.10?
Sponsored