Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
The turbo doesn't spin when the engine is off. It runs off exhaust gases, so if there's no engine running, the turbo isn't spinning. There's enough oil in the system to lubricate the bearing in the meantime. And it's not off long enough to worry about coking the oil - same with the top end
In the Jeep manual it is noted that depending on the use of the vehicle (roads, highways or trailer use) the engine should be allowed to idle for one minute or more.

If I drive long and fast on a "high way", then I come to a red light, I stop, the ESS starts, the engine stops.

How can the oil still flow to the turbine shaft of the turbocharger (via the oil pump), which is still running, when the turbocharger has just been activated a short time before.

It's in this logic that I wonder how the mechanics can withstand these constraints.
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
In the Jeep manual it is noted that depending on the use of the vehicle (roads, highways or trailer use) the engine should be allowed to idle for one minute or more.

If I drive long and fast on a "high way", then I come to a red light, I stop, the ESS starts, the engine stops.

How can the oil still flow to the turbine shaft of the turbocharger (via the oil pump), which is still running, when the turbocharger has just been activated a short time before.

It's in this logic that I wonder how the mechanics can withstand these constraints.
Probably there's enough head pressure to keep oil flowing for a brief while. And during ESS, it's not going to be shut off for long periods of time - maybe a minute or two while you're waiting at a light. Then your engine will restart and oil will start flowing and cooling again. Coking of the oil likely doesn't occur during such short timescales.

The recommendation to continue idling for at least a minute or more after heavy loads is to help cool down the system before shutting down the engine for a long period of time. During these longer periods where the engine is off, you will have no oil flow but could have high temperatures in the turbocharger for hours instead of the minutes during ESS. These longer period of time with hot, stagnant oil could contribute to the oil coking and damaging the turbo.

Trailnut

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Chevy Colorado, '20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Fire Marshal (Retired)
Yes almost anyone that lives in a place with summers similar to HELL will complain when you stop at a red light and the engine and A/C shut down!

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
No side effects whatsoever and compatible with Superchips devices: https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

(and a forum sponsor).
Been using the Smartstopstart for over a year with zero issues. It paid for itself in the first 125 button pushes that I didnā€™t have to press. Great investment IMO and one of my favorite easy to do mods. Life is better with no ESS and wear/tear on my engine.

I have a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid that gets 55 MPG as my daily driver. Itā€™s designed with the ESS to run off the hybrid battery. As for my Jeep, how ā€˜bout NO!

Jeep Wrangler JL Any engine with ESS 552CE1D1-7F22-4D01-B1C7-C9964836F31B

Last edited:

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Yes almost anyone that lives in a place with summers similar to HELL will complain when you stop at a red light and the engine and A/C shut down!
The ESS will not shut down the engine if the cabin temp has not reached the setpoint.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
The folks that keep their Jeeps long term, it will be interesting in 15-20 years to see the engine life comparison of the pro ESS people as opposed to the people that never use it.
Iā€™ve gotten so in the habit of hitting that button immediately after starting that I rarely ever forget anymore. As a matter of fact I sometimes start my keyed work truck and by habit move my finger over 5ā€ looking to hit the button.

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
The ESS will not shut down the engine if the cabin temp has not reached the setpoint.
As soon as the engine shuts down and it starts to blow that not so cool air here on a hot florida summer day you realize you donā€™t want ESS.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve noticed this with ESS, if your A/C is on and the engine shuts down at a stop, after about 10 seconds later the engine comes back on again without releasing the brake. I think itā€™s because the A/C is on and it doesnā€™t want it draining the battery.

Does anyone have a high mileage JL that they use the ESS with? I wonder how it operates after some years and miles of constant use.

I always have a fear that when Iā€™m at an intersection waiting to make my turn, the ESS will kill the engine and Iā€™ll get T-boned by the oncoming traffic. Or one day the AUX battery will start acting up and will shut my car down while Iā€™m in busy traffic and will cause an accident. I canā€™t get over it and I always turn the bloody thing off. I do this with all my cars.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
As soon as the engine shuts down and it starts to blow that not so cool air here on a hot florida summer day you realize you donā€™t want ESS.
Once again, the engine will NOT shut down if the cabin has not reached the temp setpoint. That's one of the dozen or so items listed in your owner's manual that say they will keep the ESS from working.

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Once again, the engine will NOT shut down if the cabin has not reached the temp setpoint. That's one of the dozen or so items listed in your owner's manual that say they will keep the ESS from working.
Once again, as soon as you stop at a light here and yes itā€™s gotten to the appropriate temperature it shuts down. Iā€™ve lived with this in 3 cars now. It blows less than cold air and completely changes your comfort level. IT BLOWS, pun intended
Sponsored