Android Auto. Anyone with the update?

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
I got the AA update last week, but haven't gotten the new UI to show up on the 8.4" uconnect... until tonight. Found the "Try the new Android Auto" in the settings menu as a slider switch after reinstalling (or in my case "update" after uninstalling in Play Store).

The AA version on my Pixel3: 4.5.592854-release

If the setting option isn't listed, try re-installing... one of my attempts to activate the setting caused the app to crash, and the next time I went into the settings the slider/option disappeared. Reinstalling brought it back.
Sponsored

Last edited:

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
It showed up back in April for me. I thought I'd just changed a setting or something to cause the icons to appear until a month or so I saw an article about the "new" Android Auto coming..lol and then realized I already had it.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
It can only be an error with the phone or the headunit.
More likely is the phone. The headunit is just a display and speaker connected via the android auto api. You must have a friend with an android phone you can just plug in to see if his works.
Out of curiosity, anyone else here with an S9+ who doesn't have the volume issue I'm experiencing when using an audio player app?

Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Android Auto connected to USB 2 in the center console. Volume can be changed using the phone, the dash knob, or the steering wheel controls. I do not have any restraints on the volume, ie. equalize volume between plays. Hope that helps.

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 2018 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
New issue popped up for me this week. Drove 14 hours to South Carolina and used Android auto and the old interface with Google maps without issue. Switched the switch on the new layout for the way home and the maps froze on the drive home on the uconnect after 2 hours. The vehicle arrow on screen would move up the road and inch and then pop back an inch. Miles and directions were not updating. Unplugging and reconnecting did not help. Only way to reset maps was to turn car off and restart. Did this on both my pixel 3 XL and my wife's pixel 3. Waze worked for 6 hours straight with no issues. I will go back to the old Android auto display if I get the chance to see if maps works again after 2 hours.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
How did you get the update?
Click on your android auto Icon on your phone and go to settings and click try new android auto. Make sur your phone is plugged into USB port.

Desmoss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited 4-door
Click on your android auto Icon on your phone and go to settings and click try new android auto. Make sur your phone is plugged into USB port.
Wish some of these solutions worked for me... Samsung S7, worked 5-days out of the dealership then lost Waze, then Pandora and then AA altogether. Tried every fix listed here save buying a new phone... still nothing. Phone ICON on 8.4 screen shows good Bluetooth but never the AA ICON. I don't recall if there ever was an ICON in the Apps window of the 8.4 but if there was, it's gone too. Numerous remove and re-install of the AA app on the phone and various sequences of connecting the phone in the car offered no relief. I've not seen an update request, dealer asked me to wait a few days for update and then return for service... any new help out there?

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Wish some of these solutions worked for me... Samsung S7, worked 5-days out of the dealership then lost Waze, then Pandora and then AA altogether. Tried every fix listed here save buying a new phone... still nothing. Phone ICON on 8.4 screen shows good Bluetooth but never the AA ICON. I don't recall if there ever was an ICON in the Apps window of the 8.4 but if there was, it's gone too. Numerous remove and re-install of the AA app on the phone and various sequences of connecting the phone in the car offered no relief. I've not seen an update request, dealer asked me to wait a few days for update and then return for service... any new help out there?
Maybe the difference is the phone itself. I sold my galaxy s7 months ago and purchased the galaxy s10 big difference. Not sure why but it could have to do with the software written for that phone? my 7 inch screen on the jeep now looks very much like my wife's apple car play.

Sponsored

Desmoss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited 4-door
Ugh...!!! maybe a $10 dash mount for my S7 and forget AA... I'd give up if the S7 didn't connect for a few days at first... and if I was the only one with a linking problem.

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Have you tried different USB cables? I had three, of varying lengths, but only the shortest (12 inches) plugged into the front panel, would work. Neither longer ones or inside the center console would work. I remember reading last year that shorter, higher quality cables were needed.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Have you tried different USB cables? I had three, of varying lengths, but only the shortest (12 inches) plugged into the front panel, would work. Neither longer ones or inside the center console would work. I remember reading last year that shorter, higher quality cables were needed.
That is exactly what I have found. It seems that AA needs high quality, short cables. Low quality, old cables that have been bent 1000x don't seem to work well.

iwishiwereadinosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
I have a Galaxy S9+ with the latest Android OS update. I'd be really surprised if it was my individual phone. In fact, it actually worked fine a few versions of Android Auto ago. Having said that, Android Auto does work better with Google devices. Supposedly, it even allowing them to connect via BT so that you don't have to plug your phone in.
Do you use the Samsung Sound Assistant app? That caused me to have this issue and a million others. Disabling it for Spotify fixed everything.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've had occasional quirky issues with my Uconnect and I've been inclined to blame Android Auto or my Pixel 3XL. I got the update, set it in the settings, restarted my phone, and used it today. So far, I've not had any of the quirks. I'm really hoping the update has fixed those issues or at least reduced them. Time will tell. I do like the way it is set up.

I've read in several places that Google Maps would get police and hazard reporting features like Waze has. Has anybody heard anything new on this?
Sponsored