Air Intake Question

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Did a Google search to no avail. Could someone with way more engine knowledge than me please explain what all the "boxes and chambers" on the stock , plastic intake tube are for. I've noticed that all the after market stuff including the Mopar CAI don't have any of that. It's just a tube. Green stuff, mileage??

thanks,

G.
Sponsored

OP
OP
garyji

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input. Never thought I would be having coffee and reading about Helmholtz resonators. More smart today than yesterday!

G.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Most of the time companies post misleading results to inflate their gains, sell product.

Due to horrible stock tune, intake gains are minimal- 5hp at the top end and hardly anything mid range.
Intake would be beneficial if you are to get a tune thru Livernois.

OP
OP
garyji

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not looking to do a CAI for any gains. I was just curious about all the "boxes and chambers" in the stock pipe. BrntWS6 said it all; "helmholtz resonator".

Thanks again for the education.

G.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
It's amazing how big of chambers are on the stock intake tube too. I noticed when removing the PCM for the Livernois tune. There is one that hangs down, right at the 90* that sits behind the fan. In the words of Trump, "it's YUGE!"

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I wish they dyno'd Mopars outside CAI system. It draws outside air via the cut in hood vent. True CAI system.
Mopar hood CAI.jpeg
Did you notice much gain there? Only one experience w/ a CAI (in our V6 Infiniti) and it robbed low-end torque for high rpm gain, not a good tradeoff for motors that don't have a lot of low rpm power to give away.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Nothing. The hinges are extended to raise the hood for venting. Forum follows function and it works excellent. I use to get motor temp spikes during motor shut downs and the radiator fan automatically would come on high for a period at startup. Doesn't do that annoying jet airplane thing anymore. I don't think motor temp spikes are an issue with DD'rs.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Did you notice much gain there? Only one experience w/ a CAI (in our V6 Infiniti) and it robbed low-end torque for high rpm gain, not a good tradeoff for motors that don't have a lot of low rpm power to give away.
I really don't notice any difference. There are a few videos of JL CAI dyno runs...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wrngler+jl+jlt+intake
I would never have purchased this CAI with my own money. My hood swap with a Sahara owner neted me $500.I used the cash to purchase the Mopar intake which is functional and unique.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Deleted member 53226

Did a Google search to no avail. Could someone with way more engine knowledge than me please explain what all the "boxes and chambers" on the stock , plastic intake tube are for. I've noticed that all the after market stuff including the Mopar CAI don't have any of that. It's just a tube. Green stuff, mileage??

thanks,

G.
They are the resonators, and help very much with sound. For whatever reason, without them your Jeep will sound like it swallowed a frog. I've tried "smooth tube" intakes and got rid of every one because my JL made this annoying gutteral sound at low idle cruise.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Here is a couple photos of the stock air intake tube with helmholtz resonators...
top view
Jeep Wrangler JL Air Intake Question stock JL 3.6 air intake tube (a

side view
Jeep Wrangler JL Air Intake Question stock JL 3.6 air intake tube (b

side view of Mopar CAI with no helmholtz resonator
Jeep Wrangler JL Air Intake Question Mopar CAI tub
Sponsored