AtlJeeper1629

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Any advice on air intake systems?
How much HP and torque did you gain?? Is this difference in the sound noticeable?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Any advice on air intake systems?
For which engine? You won't find much info on here, because most don't bother with them. The stock intake designs are optimal for the the JL.

OP
OP
AtlJeeper1629

AtlJeeper1629

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
I’ve got a 3.6 in my 2020 JLU

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
I’ve got a 3.6 in my 2020 JLU
I dont bother with them any longer. I ran a Banks CAI in my JK with the Banks exhaust. The cat back gave me a bump and the CAI made noise....that's about it. I don't want to risk the potential filter issues for the noise. I wont put a CAI on my JL when it arrives, but did order the AWE cat back. On the JK the "power" was minimal...but there with the exhaust and MPG was up maybe 1 MPG over stock. The CAI made noise as I said...

Deleted member 53226

The mishimoto is nice. I have that one on my JL. Claims about 10hp/tq which is about right, maybe a little optimistic.

I bought it because admittedly I am a sucker for adding doodads and farkles to my jeep, and never learn my lesson that intakes really dont do much. Its like I know they are a waste of money, but I can't help myself.

I liked the mishimoto because they use the "resonators" on their intake tube, just like the stock version. I have found these very necessary on the JL because other intakes I've tried (Holley/Intek) without them make this weird gutteral and annoying sound at low rpms which I think has to do with the straight tube. The mishimoto also sounds much closer to stock for that reason. The JL just needs the resonators in my opinion.

Agree with others most if not all won't do much but give you a very very small, and unnoticeable bump in HP/TQ.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Any (and I mean ANY.....meaning not much) gain in HP or Torque will be in the upper RPM range, where your engine spends very little time at. Not really a wise return on investment, especially since most of the CAI's include an oiled resuseable filter. The oiled filters will cause more harm to your engine than they're worth. If you absolutely want a CAI, look for one with a dry filter, your engine will thank you for it!

If you want a noticeable difference in sound, put a nice exhaust system on it, at least other people can hear it and know it's not stock. The AWE systems have the best sound (IMO).

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have the mopar CAI. But I am a moron who is willing to cut a hole in a new vehicle. Not much increase in sound at all, only noticeable with the top down. I did it for looks but did see a slight increase in MPG after the hood vent was installed.

Best thing you could do if you want more power is look into an aftermarket tune.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
The issue with cold air intakes is that they are a misnomer. They may be more free flowing than the stock air box but almost all of them dont do anything in the name of actually getting cold fresh air to the engine.

The Mopar version @BrntWS6 mentioned cuts a hole in the hood so its an exception but the rest are just sucking in more hot air from the engine bay.

<shamelessPlug>
Take a look at how your factory airbox gets fresh air and you will quickly see why we absolutely wanted our JL H.E.R.O. Hood to have Ram Air functionality.
</shamelessPlug>

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I have the mopar CAI. But I am a moron who is willing to cut a hole in a new vehicle. Not much increase in sound at all, only noticeable with the top down. I did it for looks but did see a slight increase in MPG after the hood vent was installed.

Best thing you could do if you want more power is look into an aftermarket tune.
I want the hole in my new vehicle, I'm just too scared to do it!

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
keep it stock. don't waste money for 2hp lol. not only that any of the "oil based" intakes will clog up constantly and you end up losing 25hp

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Stock is best, and change that filter regularly so the engine always has the cleanest air possible with least restriction based on design.
Or save your money and score a good deal on a used 392 later this year or next. They say those will have plenty of power.