AEV Borah- 8.5" wheel width?

bm11

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
OK, I've narrowed it down to two wheel choices, the AEV Borah and the Mopar Beadlock. In either case it would be run as a simulated beadlock. As of now, the Borah is getting the nod due to being an 8.5" width vs the 8" width of the Mopar (I'd prefer not to run into any issues getting tires mounted on rims that are "too narrow" for the tire manufacturers spec.)

That said, does anyone know for sure that the AEV is is 8.5" in the NON bead lock configuration? I know that the Mopar is 8" NON, 8.5" if run as a bead lock.

Appreciate any intel!

Thanks,

-Bob
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
OK, I've narrowed it down to two wheel choices, the AEV Borah and the Mopar Beadlock. In either case it would be run as a simulated beadlock. As of now, the Borah is getting the nod due to being an 8.5" width vs the 8" width of the Mopar (I'd prefer not to run into any issues getting tires mounted on rims that are "too narrow" for the tire manufacturers spec.)

That said, does anyone know for sure that the AEV is is 8.5" in the NON bead lock configuration? I know that the Mopar is 8" NON, 8.5" if run as a bead lock.

Appreciate any intel!

Thanks,

-Bob
The Borah wheel is 17x8.5. You can run no ring, simulated or beadlock ring, it’s doesn’t change the wheel.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
The Borah wheel is 17x8.5. You can run no ring, simulated or beadlock ring, it’s doesn’t change the wheel.
You are correct if all you care about is where the wheel is, but I don't see how this is possible if you care about where the tire is. When run in a non-beadlock configuration the outer edge of the tire's bead is against the inner edge of the wheel. When run as a true beadlock the inner edge of the tire's bead is against the outer edge of the wheel. It seems to me this would change both wheel width and offset.

OP
OP

bm11

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
You are correct if all you care about is where the wheel is, but I don't see how this is possible if you care about where the tire is. When run in a non-beadlock configuration the outer edge of the tire's bead is against the inner edge of the wheel. When run as a true beadlock the inner edge of the tire's bead is against the outer edge of the wheel. It seems to me this would change both wheel width and offset.
Right- it does on the Mopar wheel, it’s 8” inside (non bead lock) and 8.5” outside (bead lock) so I had assumed it would be similar here. The main attraction for the Borah wheels is the 8.5” width- which I’m trying to get clarity on where it’s measured. I’ll just get the Mopars if it’s the same.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I was referring to the overall size of just the wheel, it’s listed at 17x8.5. I got the info from the specs online, and I recall measuring my wheels prior to installing them a few years ago.

83B8CBB1-0BBE-4E7A-8308-0DCE857F43F0.jpeg

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I have the Borah and it is 8.5 when mounted in the non bead lock position. As a bead lock it is 9
Sponsored