Advice for cleaning off mud?

T_Willys

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
New Jeep owner, looking for input on cleaning mud and dirt off my Jeep, asides from power washing the undercarriage are there any parts to clean that may not be obvious? Also, is there any type of protectant spray you guys recommend using? Any related advice appreciated.
Sponsored

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Most important thing is to get whatever you can with just water. Crawl underneath and see what you missed and consider brushing of whatever you can with just water. Simple green or your favorite cleaner helps and rinse with water.

Remove any corrosion with some light sanding and spray with your favorite epoxy.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I like to use an oscillating sprinkler (kind you hook to your hose) and let it run underneath the Jeep for awhile, changing positions to get the whole undercarriage. At the fore and rear of the fender flares there are openings, mud likes to get up in there. Spray up there really good until the water coming out is clear.

After a thorough undercarriage rinse, I like to spray Simple Green on the suspension components and either use a soft bristle brush or a sponge to get them clean.

OP
OP

T_Willys

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I like to use an oscillating sprinkler (kind you hook to your hose) and let it run underneath the Jeep for awhile, changing positions to get the whole undercarriage. At the fore and rear of the fender flares there are openings, mud likes to get up in there. Spray up there really good until the water coming out is clear.

After a thorough undercarriage rinse, I like to spray Simple Green on the suspension components and either use a soft bristle brush or a sponge to get them clean.
Is there a specific simple green bottle you recommend?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a specific simple green bottle you recommend?
I get the regular green simple green by the gallon and then pour it into spray bottles. For cleaning and degreasing, I use it full strength.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I always spray wd40 on my frame and under the Jeep before off-roading. Buy the wide mouth/wide spray cans. When you are done wheeling it makes mud a lot easier to clean off.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
In addition to sticking a sprinkler under the body, I like to stick the hose inside the frame and clean everything out. I'll push the hose in through several holes from different angles to make sure I get it all. You'd be amazed how much crude they can collect. I also have the Ryobi undercarriage cleaner/sweeper, it works on, but I need a higher volume pressure washer for it to really work best.

Last edited:

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You should not use simple green on aluminum.
You can put baby oil in a spray bottle and pretreat in wheel wells and underbody stuff that doesn’t get hot. Don’t use it on your paint

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You should not use simple green on aluminum.
You can put baby oil in a spray bottle and pretreat in wheel wells and underbody stuff that doesn’t get hot. Don’t use it on your paint
My first reaction to no simple green on aluminum was WTF?? So I looked it up and you're right.....never knew that before. Simple Green says their regular stuff shouldn't be used on uncoated, unfinished, or unpainted aluminum unless a protectant is used afterwards. Apparently simple green will accelerate the corrosion of aluminum.

There are some simple green products safe for aluminum, but I haven't seen them at a store. Must have to order them directly.

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored