First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
One more quick thing....If there is no downside to E85, then why wouldn't we
I feel we may be talking about two different things at times. Alcohol (methonal) and E85.

I don't pretend do know how manufacturers tune their flex fuel cars. But generally speaking you should not lose power with E85. That's one of the main reasons people use it, to get more power. Not saying you did not lose power, I will take your word on it, but that is not the norm at all.

The marine study also said they need to do more testing all around.

"Results are based on a sample population of one engine per test fuel. As such, these results are not considered statistically significant, but may serve as an indicator of potential issues. More testing would be required to better understand the potential effects of E15."

What is also interesting is every engine experienced a lean condition. Tells me they did not tune it for E15.

"The E15 engine exhibited variability of HC emissions at idle during end-of-endurance emissions tests, which
was likely caused by lean misfire."

I am new to E85, still learning. But all the guys I talk to do regular oil changes, no different than using regular gas. This is not just visual based, many have done oil analysis.

Also as long as your fuel cap is good and tight there is no issue with condensation in the tank.
Ethanol is alcohol. Almost identical properties. Same as Methanol. The difference is in how they are made, one from corn or grain, the other from wood. E85 has 15% gasoline, as you know. But it is mostly alcohol. Ethyl alcohol. E85 would be easier on oil than 100% alcohol, for sure, but not by much. The racing fuel would just affect the oil a little quicker. So I've been told. I'm no chemist, though. Just getting it from folks who have experience, as I've said.

I've seen oil analysis where the oil was sheered down significantly on 7k to 8k run. I've yet to see oil shear down like that on 7k-8k runs on my JL, or any of my vehicles, with the exception of my Ecoboost. The 5w30 there shears down pretty quickly to a 20 weight. The reason is somewhat related. In the case of DI, it is fuel diluting the oil. But I have seen Ecoboosts with 300k or more. But those owners changed the oil at 5k or less.

Typically the folks who really want to run it all the time are going for performance. They don't plan on those engines going that long.

I'd be very very surprised to see a Pentastar or any engine run all or mostly on E85 hit 300k miles. If it did, I'd bet on 3k oil changes and driving like a grandma.

But I said before, I could be wrong. I've not run more than 2 to 4 tankfuls of it.

Condensation will happen in storage, particularly in winter, even with a tight gas cap. I am a pilot and you have to drain a small amount of fuel off the bottom of the tank before every flight. The only time I ever saw zero water was if I just topped off the plane after a flight leg and was readying to go again. Any and every time an aircraft sat overnight there was water in it. E85 would likely break up that water to a point. But once it hits that point, the ethanol is overwhelmed (I don't remember the word for it) and the fuel is then bad. It is rare to see it in piston powered aircraft. Almost non-existent. I refrain from saying never because there is always some dude or crowd out there that wants to try something like that.
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
One more quick thing....If there is no downside to E85, then why wouldn't we

Ethanol is alcohol. Almost identical properties. Same as Methanol. The difference is in how they are made, one from corn or grain, the other from wood. E85 has 15% gasoline, as you know. But it is mostly alcohol. Ethyl alcohol. E85 would be easier on oil than 100% alcohol, for sure, but not by much. The racing fuel would just affect the oil a little quicker. So I've been told. I'm no chemist, though. Just getting it from folks who have experience, as I've said.

I've seen oil analysis where the oil was sheered down significantly on 7k to 8k run. I've yet to see oil shear down like that on 7k-8k runs on my JL, or any of my vehicles, with the exception of my Ecoboost. The 5w30 there shears down pretty quickly to a 20 weight. The reason is somewhat related. In the case of DI, it is fuel diluting the oil. But I have seen Ecoboosts with 300k or more. But those owners changed the oil at 5k or less.

Typically the folks who really want to run it all the time are going for performance. They don't plan on those engines going that long.

I'd be very very surprised to see a Pentastar or any engine run all or mostly on E85 hit 300k miles. If it did, I'd bet on 3k oil changes and driving like a grandma.

But I said before, I could be wrong. I've not run more than 2 to 4 tankfuls of it.

Condensation will happen in storage, particularly in winter, even with a tight gas cap. I am a pilot and you have to drain a small amount of fuel off the bottom of the tank before every flight. The only time I ever saw zero water was if I just topped off the plane after a flight leg and was readying to go again. Any and every time an aircraft sat overnight there was water in it. E85 would likely break up that water to a point. But once it hits that point, the ethanol is overwhelmed (I don't remember the word for it) and the fuel is then bad. It is rare to see it in piston powered aircraft. Almost non-existent. I refrain from saying never because there is always some dude or crowd out there that wants to try something like that.
I will know more when I run through a few oil changes on e85. Just to see how it looks and what the oil gauge tells me, I believe engine temp is a parameter. E85 runs cooler but not sure how much that will affect it in the long run. Definitely will not hurt. Not opposed to doing an oil analysis though.

Since it runs cooler you do need to run it longer than gas to burn off all the condensation. I always fill up the tank on my trans am when in storage for the winter.

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Intake, exhaust, tuning, and pedal input correction all make power and efficiency. Especially the tuning and pedal input correction. The intake and exhaust then allow you to manipulate short term fuel trims within the ecu’s closed loop operation and boost your efficiency considerably.

this is Mopar intake, AFE proguard 7 cone filter insert, AWE exhaust, Pulsar running 91oct tune, on 37 AT’s, stock 4.10 gears, 8spd from central VA to northern MD. Stock on stock 33” MT’s was average18.5-19 for this route on multiple attempts, with an all time high of 20.0. Tire size was calculated using the circumference method; speed was checked to be accurate to the mph up to interstate speeds by police radar and gps; and hand calc was within 5% of displayed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Additional HP? 2D8A7B36-3FE6-4CD7-A5B6-8D2AAAD9474C
Sponsored

Last edited: