Sponsored

Adding rock sliders while keeping the OEM Rubicon rails?

wnorton

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, F350
Good day folks,

slowly working on my build. ‘22 JLU XR. Was looking at adding rock sliders while keeping the OEM Rubi rails. To that end the ACE Engineering rails. A year ago they cost $580. Today they cost $1,000. Honestly in my opinion that’s more that they are worth. In that price range I think there are better options.

I'm not a heavy rock crawler, so the body mount options would be sufficient. I don’t think I necessarily need frame mounted rails.

So, with this said, what are your favorite rails. what did you install and would you buy the same product again?

thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Kinda confused as to why you would want rails if you don’t expect to rock crawl. Also I don’t know of any that keep the originals alongside the new ones. That being said I have enjoyed my rock hard 4x4s since 2018

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have the ACE rock rails and they integrate perfectly with the OEM Rubicon rails. They also act as an impromptu step. That said, I bought mine Summer 2020 for $535 less $100 discount for Father's Day sale. I have no idea why they have nearly doubled in price - they are made of steel not unobtainium. [and...I don't blame general inflation :)]

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom Unlimited
I have the Barricades on my Gladiator with the Rubicon rails. Love the look. Quality seems fine as well.

OP
OP
wnorton

wnorton

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, F350
Kinda confused as to why you would want rails if you don’t expect to rock crawl. Also I don’t know of any that keep the originals alongside the new ones. That being said I have enjoyed my rock hard 4x4s since 2018
We do rock crawl when necessary. It just isn’t the primary focus.
thx for the feedback

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I have the ACE rock rails and they integrate perfectly with the OEM Rubicon rails. They also act as an impromptu step. That said, I bought mine Summer 2020 for $535 less $100 discount for Father's Day sale. I have no idea why they have nearly doubled in price - they are made of steel not unobtainium. [and...I don't blame general inflation :)]
They were bought buy a company Called Steinjager. They quadrupled the prices on everything, and I'm sure the quality isn't what it used to be. Its too bad because I was a big fan of their front bumpers.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Had the Barricade sliders delivered last week. Hoping to install this coming weekend. I didn't want to lose the look of the Rubicon rails, so I'm glad there was an affordable solution to this.

Sponsored

tma777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Had the Barricade sliders delivered last week. Hoping to install this coming weekend. I didn't want to lose the look of the Rubicon rails, so I'm glad there was an affordable solution to this.
did you have any issues with the body mount bolts? I have a set sitting in my garage that I’ve had for months, I got concerned when I removed a body mount bolt and the nut was loose up in the body. I had to line it up with hole to get the bolt started and apply downward force to tighten it. I want to put them on but don’t want to deal with body mount bolt issues.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
did you have any issues with the body mount bolts? I have a set sitting in my garage that I’ve had for months, I got concerned when I removed a body mount bolt and the nut was loose up in the body. I had to line it up with hole to get the bolt started and apply downward force to tighten it. I want to put them on but don’t want to deal with body mount bolt issues.
@tma777

I very often spew that I stay away from the dealership Service Department ... unless say for a warranty repair.

I do suggest though, if you do not want to deal with the install, do go to the dealership Service Department and ask for a quote in regard to the install.

Be sure to get a firm quote and not an estimate. Anyway, they will probably do for one hour's labor. (+-$150).

As for the headache and possible install issues... firm quote means all that is on them for x amount of $.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Another solution is to buy an intergraded set - rails and sliders as a single unit and sell off your stock rails to save some money.
I've had these since January and they've held up great. Really solid.

Barricade Enhanced Rubi Rails
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding rock sliders while keeping the OEM Rubicon rails? Attach18167_20220102_094841

I've always thought of sliders/rails as the same thing. They protect the rocker panels. I've always referred to anything extending from the body as nerf bars - keeping stuff away from the side of the vehicle.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I try to avoid rocks where I can but feel pretty confident with RockHard sliders on when I can't. Not cheap, but way less than a body shop.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Good day folks,

slowly working on my build. ‘22 JLU XR. Was looking at adding rock sliders while keeping the OEM Rubi rails. To that end the ACE Engineering rails. A year ago they cost $580. Today they cost $1,000. Honestly in my opinion that’s more that they are worth. In that price range I think there are better options.

I'm not a heavy rock crawler, so the body mount options would be sufficient. I don’t think I necessarily need frame mounted rails.

So, with this said, what are your favorite rails. what did you install and would you buy the same product again?

thank you in advance.
Here is one option. If you are comfortable with body mounts. I fabricated these myself but you could easily find a fab shop near you that could do the same. They are also a great step.

9D0B5FD3-0CA1-4BD4-AD55-F950DEF2AC90.jpeg

F6DB1652-2268-49A1-846B-8DCD060EF466.jpeg
Sponsored