Sponsored

HELP!!! Rails, Steps, Sliders, Rockers, Foot Pegs... What's the difference?

MIke Honcho

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara 2.0T
I just joined this forum after doing a search for Wranglers and all I can say is WOW!!! The way y'all have modded your toys is truly impressive. (I want to be you when I grow up!) I just fell (HARD) down this rabbit hole of owning a Jeep (2019 Sahara) and I love it! I'm looking at the factory plastic "running boards" on it and I need to change them! What's the difference between rails, steps, rockers, sliders...
Sponsored

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
Rockers and sliders are generally the same thing but come in 2 different types. 1 type bolt to the frame on the Jeep and the other type bolts to the body. The main thing they are used for is when offroading and doing some rock crawling you could damage the bottom of the body and doors from landing on a rock wrong. Some of these rock sliders have integrated steps and some do not. Then there are just rails/steps that are for looks or for use as a step but wouldn't hold up to getting smashed by a rock.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
You really don't need sliders / rockers unless you are doing some moderate off roading. Steps are exactly as the name implies, used to get into the Jeep easier. In general they are all very easy to install, especially if you get the kind that mounts to the body (it's like 3 bolts per side, the holes are already drilled into the body)

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I just joined this forum after doing a search for Wranglers and all I can say is WOW!!! The way y'all have modded your toys is truly impressive. (I want to be you when I grow up!) I just fell (HARD) down this rabbit hole of owning a Jeep (2019 Sahara) and I love it! I'm looking at the factory plastic "running boards" on it and I need to change them! What's the difference between rails, steps, rockers, sliders...
I have been down that hole this is my 2018 Sahara $15K in mods later. Also those are sliders with a drop step Go Rhino Dominator D-6

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP!!! Rails, Steps, Sliders, Rockers, Foot Pegs... What's the difference? Alta 1

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the LOD Destroyers. I wanted protection for the body, but also needed a step to help my short wife climb in and out. She's only an inch taller than the bottom of the sideview mirrors.
Jeep Wrangler JL HELP!!! Rails, Steps, Sliders, Rockers, Foot Pegs... What's the difference? 20200813_083329
Jeep Wrangler JL HELP!!! Rails, Steps, Sliders, Rockers, Foot Pegs... What's the difference? 20200720_075130

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
I'm going with Rusty's Offroad rock sliders, they are more of a rock slider but they will work as a step (sort-of) as needed...

Right now after adding the tube fenders my steps stick out literally like a sore thumb.

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP!!! Rails, Steps, Sliders, Rockers, Foot Pegs... What's the difference? 20210418_165628

So these are next:

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP!!! Rails, Steps, Sliders, Rockers, Foot Pegs... What's the difference? rocker-armor-sheetmetal-kick-design-foward-angle

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP!!! Rails, Steps, Sliders, Rockers, Foot Pegs... What's the difference? rocker-armor-sheetmetal-kick-design-door-entry-view
Sponsored