Status
Not open for further replies.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The service manual describes the operation

The RFH module and BCM are the brains. If you have keyless entry and push button start, you have an RF module. Your key fobs are registered to this already. Nothing to do there.

The door handles are merely sensors. They are hardwired to the RF module. They just send a signal to the RF module based on you pushing the button or grabbing the handle. The rf module then sends a wakeup signal to the fob via one of the 5 Lf antennas. If a valid fob is present, it will respond. If the Rf module gets a response, it will send the appropriate lock/unlock signal to the BCM. This same process happens for push button start. So the fob and rf module are already performing this function.

Full disclaimer Iā€™m not an FCA engineer, but Iā€™m not a complete idiot (some parts are missing), this is generally how I read this to work. I may not be 100% correct and there could be a hidden gotcha that Iā€™m not aware of...

As I stated before - my JLUS has the LF antennas in place and connected to RF module. Other trim levels may differ. If you donā€™t have keyless entry you may be SOL. (Do base JLs have manual locks only?) The handles, cover plates, and a rear gate wiring jumper appear to be all that is required. It seems unlikely to require additional programming. Iā€™ll know definitively next week, hopefully.
I forgot who? Someone who works at a dealer posted about different wiring harness? He said the factory used a different wiring harness for JLs equipped with the proximity locks. Don't know why Proximity locks are only available with Sahara or Rubicon models? I think he said it was not possible to add proximity locks due to the different harnesses used? Maybe only Sahara and Rubicon models have the harness? Sport and Sport S models don't have the harness? I might be remembering this wrong or they might be wrong? I hope you get this to work. This will be a very popular mod if you can get it to work. It would be nice to get this feature without having to buy a Rubicon or Sahara.
Sponsored

Last edited:

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
just an FYI when you have proximity locks there's a setting that shows up on the UConnect that allows you to disable/enable proximity locks, not sure if this means you'll need a dealer flash or not, not sure if this is even helpful at all, but yeah on the JLs that come with it there's a setting on the screen, maybe it will pop up once you have the handles added but its something to check for

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Hey RocketScientist.

I purchased the power door actuators for my JLU Sport. Since you have the service manual, is there any pages on their on the door actuators and wiring diagrams? I plan to tie them into a Viper keyless entry system alarm.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I hope this works it's what this fourm is for. We passed on a Saraha on the lot to get a Rubicon because the wife wanted proximity unlock feature. Hope she is not reading this lol

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, very interested if this works. I didnt think I'd miss this feature until I didnt have it.

Sponsored

Ryp11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara in ocean blue
Very interested also. Miss this option from my old car.

kirbyx

First Name
Oot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2018 JL
I have a basic JL Sport: stick, manual windows, manual locks, fob has no buttons on it.
Is it possible to add proximity to my Jeep?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I have a basic JL Sport: stick, manual windows, manual locks, fob has no buttons on it.
Is it possible to add proximity to my Jeep?
Not without a lot or work and expense. Your Jeep is missing a lot of required parts and wiring.

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
Thanks for all the info in the thread so far. Iā€™m hoping to do this as well.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.