TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I think not only does the fob need to be within 3ft-ish but if it is not detected, it also seems to disable proximity entry on all the other handles for some period of time. Hence why I consider her early handle grab an act of sabotage that must be thwarted.
This. If she wants to let herself in, she needs to carry a FOB., or you need to manually click the unlock as you approach.

You can try walking to her side, as if to open the door for her, but I found that sometimes you have to be in the handle pull position for it to pick up the fob. So standing just behind her while she tries the handle probably will not work. Heck, I've noticed with my wife's Challenger, that sometimes if the pocket the FoB is in is turned away from the handle it won't react.

Also note, if someone touches the handle and the vehicle unlocks, but no one actually opens the door, the doors should relock after a minute or so.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It’ll work to open either front door or the tailgate. The issue is someone attempting to open a door different than where the fob is located. I.e., as we approach she pulls the front passenger door handle as I walk up to the driver side door.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Another "Better Idea" that should shame Jeep designers. Since I have a Base Sport, mechanical door locks, I have to wait until they bring out the Fob with a Key Cubby. . This in regard to the Custom smaller Fob, mentioned earlier)

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Trade in the wife for a smarter model, would be the best solution.
Plus she will now have full use to drivers seat while the OP makes the payment from the room he's renting at his buddies house. If he's lucky, he can afford a XJ.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
So my wife is infamous for being impatient and often grabs the door handle before I do. Of course, she does not want to carry her "gigantic" key fob so there is only a fob on the driver side when she touches the passenger door handle. This seems to mess up the Proximity Keyless Entry. I can see this being a safety feature (in case someone is hiding in ambush on the other side) but I haven't quite figured out the logic to it and often find myself resorting to pushing the fob button, annoyed on multiple levels.

Has someone figured out the logic of what happens in this situation? I know I could figure it out with a couple of tests but that would require my wife patiently waiting through a couple handle touch and fob placement tests while following instructions (a laughable thought).
Logic dictates that you either train your wife better or upgrade the model if untrainable. :LOL:

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
If she's in such a hurry to get to the door first, give her the fob and let her drive. That way, when you get there the doors will all be unlocked and she can deal with the traffic while you surf the internet on your phone from the passenger seat. ;)

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

Your story reminds of this scene, still cranks me up :LOL::LOL::LOL:
lol, it's exactly like that! With a couple "AGAIN?!?!"s in there, and a "Hands in the air where I can see them" with a few "Don't touch anything"s while she literally huffs and tries to blame the "stupid" Jeep. ...It's not the Jeep, dear.

It's a personality impasse. You can't be the first one to touch the door handle if you don't have a fob and she has to be first at everything. So she screws everything up and frustrates herself.

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If she's in such a hurry to get to the door first, give her the fob and let her drive. That way, when you get there the doors will all be unlocked and she can deal with the traffic while you surf the internet on your phone from the passenger seat. ;)
I do exactly that often but not in the Jeep. I have a Subaru that comes with a personal race-car driver chauffeur who amazingly doesn't get tickets. But the Subaru doesn't go everywhere and the Jeep is too "wiggly". Not to mention she's triggered the traction control warning several times when cornering.
(Did you know the JL has an audible "Woah! Take it easy!" alarm? It does! She hates it.)

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

lol, it's exactly like that! With a couple "AGAIN?!?!"s in there, and a "Hands in the air where I can see them" with a few "Don't touch anything"s while she literally huffs and tries to blame the "stupid" Jeep. ...It's not the Jeep, dear.

It's a personality impasse. You can't be the first one to touch the door handle if you don't have a fob and she has to be first at everything. So she screws everything up and frustrates herself.
is she still under warranty?

maybe run some electrical wires from the car battery to a piece of metal taped to the back of the handle. After a few buzzes she should be good to go.

Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired

maybe run some electrical wires from the car battery to a piece of metal taped to the back of the handle. After a few buzzes she should be good to go.
The Jeep or the wife?

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

Your story reminds of this scene, still cranks me up :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Yup this is my wife lol

If she makes it to the door before me she will just start pulling harder and harder repeatedly like it’s going to do something. It’s SOOOOOO annoying.

I’ve resorted to just pulling out the key and manually clicking the unlock as we approach. It’s the only viable solution as another poster mentioned women are mostly untrainable. It’s easier to inconvenience myself than ask for her to have literally a couple seconds of patience until I grab the handle.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

I love this

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
opening the door for a lady can't really ever fail.
especially in this case, where she wouldn't be able to open it herself if you're not there with the key.

+1
My wife also loves this. Hopefully yours finds it endearing too.
Sponsored