Sponsored

AC options while camping

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If I'm camping in my JLU, are there any way's to get some AC overnight, I'll have 120V.
Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Tow a camper with AC? There is no practical way of running the vehicles AC with anything other than the engine.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm camping in my JLU, are there any way's to get some AC overnight, I'll have 120V.
Step on brake, push button to start, set AC to auto.

Or install a small room AC unit in rear window and run extension cord to shore power. Please choose extension cord of appropriate gauge and do not overload circuit.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Not sure where you are camping, as your home base is Wisconsin, not the hottest place in North America this time of year. A fan alone inside your JLU would provide lots of comfort. But not ice cold living...

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just checked Home Depot's website. They have a number of "portable" air conditioners operating on 120 VAC, starting at about $320 per unit. (Wow, these used to cost over $1,000 around 1990 in Berlin, Germany and were hardly suitable for the types of windows there!)

These units typically are floor-standing with an exhaust duct to a window. Besides being bulky, heavy, and ill-fitting, I don't really know how to solve your request for icy air overnight.

As noted above, a fan running off either 120 VAC or 12 VDC would probably make for a very comfortable environment!

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having written all the above, I now came across this:

It requires exhaust duct(s) out, but it promises cold air. At a $$$ price. And 650 watts power draw.

I will just observe that A/C is nice at home in hot, muggy conditions outside. However, just the act of camping would suggest some adverse conditions for most mortals...

All I can say is, YMMV.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There are some ice chest swamp cooler models that are fairly effective for about 4 hours. The ones that use a heat exchanger tube instead of blowing on the ice keep the humidity a little lower.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I don’t know anything about this company, they keep popping in my my advertisements for roof top tents. But Zero Breeze looks interesting.
Sponsored