Sponsored

Overland Camping Trailers

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I have been looking into the TAXA Mantis Overland Camping Trailer, and was curious on thoughts and opinions about it and hauling with my JL. TIA
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Am I looking at the right camper?

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Camping Trailers 1599654454757

It looks cool, but are you planning on pulling it down trails? It looks like you would be dragging the bottom all over the place and getting hung up on obstacles. It looks like it is only capable of smooth trails because of its length and departure angles.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am no expert: I’m barely schooled. But this is not an “overland” trailer, right? It’s a ”trailer”. It might be a great trailer, IDK, but this isn’t an “overland” trailer, right? This is designed to pull to a spot that any camping trailer/RV can get to?

are you asking if it’s a good trailer? Or are you asking if it’s a good ”overland” trailer?

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
pulling behind a 2-door or a 4-door?

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I am no expert: I’m barely schooled. But this is not an “overland” trailer, right? It’s a ”trailer”. It might be a great trailer, IDK, but this isn’t an “overland” trailer, right? This is designed to pull to a spot that any camping trailer/RV can get to?

are you asking if it’s a good trailer? Or are you asking if it’s a good ”overland” trailer?
[/QUOTE

After doing more research I would definitely say you are correct I have just started looking into trailers so I have no idea what I’m talking about. My apologies, I guess what I’m asking is if anyone has had experience with this specific trailer or anyone has any suggestions on other types. Not necessarily looking for overland but something I can haul behind my 4dr JL and take out into the woods. Not just to a camp site.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
If I were to win the lottery, I'd go for a BrĂĽder. ;)

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
If I were to win the lottery, I'd go for a BrĂĽder. ;)
Agreed! I’m not greedy...keep the fancy EXP6 and just give me a base EXP4. Someday...:fingerscrossed:

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Camping Trailers E08034CB-85FD-490D-990D-CE4446251415

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed! I’m not greedy...keep the fancy EXP6 and just give me a base EXP4. Someday...:fingerscrossed:

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Camping Trailers E08034CB-85FD-490D-990D-CE4446251415
Patriot make some nice trailers, too.

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
OP, check out this thread...Taxa is on the list but lots other options on the menu as well for all different needs/styles/wallets.

Sponsored

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone!!!
I have a 2015 TAXA cricket and a 4-dr sport. it's a great setup and the wrangler pulls the cricket like it's not even there.

That said, I'd love a Mantis for my family of 6 but based on the weight of the Mantis and towing capacity of the JL, I don't think there's enough headroom for safety. No expert on these matters but that's my impression. It annoys me that TAXA uses wranglers in their Mantis advertising ALL THE TIME b/c it gives the impression the wrangler can safely trailer it.

Last edited:

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
TAXA just released “Overland Editions” versions of the Tiger Moth, Cricket and Mantis. They changed out the suspensions - “Featuring a Timbren 3500lbs Axle-Less trailer suspension with a 4″ lift allows you to go off road without the usual limitations associated with a thru-axle.”

Cricket - Overland Edition
Sponsored

Last edited: