First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi all, after installing my VERY FIRST winch, I went out to pretension my winch line. While rolling back in neutral to tighten the line, my jeep went into park. The message on the dash said autopark engaged. It also did this when I started the winch to pretension the line. The engine was running and I was outside the jeep to operate and observe the winch. Also I have a 19 Rubicon with a V-6 and auto trans. Has anybody had this happen?
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Did you leave it in any gear except park when you got out? If you leave the seat and it is in gear it will go into auto park.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Try buckling the driver's seat belt. If the vehicle is in drive with the door open and the seat belt unbuckled it will go into auto-park. "safety feature"

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
Yep, it has happened to everyone who ever tried to do that. :) It happens in neutral was well as when the jeep is in gear. As others said, just fasten the driver's seatbelt and it will prevent that from happening. Someone mentioned recently that putting the transfer case in neutral will do the trick as well, though I haven't tested that yet. It shouldn't be an issue when you need to winch on the trail since auto-park is disabled automatically when you go into 4L.

Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I can also confirm that a 10,000# winch will drag a JLR in 2WD with the transmission in (auto)park.
And I can confirm that the 12k pound winch on my Rubicon with auto-park engaged will drag my wife's Sport toward it no matter how hard she stomps on the brakes. Apparently the extra weight and wider tires make me a better contender in jeep tug-of-war.

OP
OP
364pipeguy

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi all, thank you all for the info I guess I should have read my owners manual better, thx again
Sponsored