A-pillar only lights?

marktgorman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JK
I wouldn't recommend combo beams on the pillars. If you're going to do forward facing, spots are probably the least likely to light up the hood with glare.
This is good advice. I bought a pair of Ironman 4x4 lights with side shooters and and the glare off of my white hood is ridiculous.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Wish that was the case for me - but when I almost smacked a deer I decided to go the lights on pillar in the tight roads that are wooded (didn't want to get a new bumper for that route) - they have been a blessing so far. It's not just based on "want" but on what one feels they need for their situation.
There is no shame in buying extra lights, I have some. I have found that after 40,000+ miles of off roading. I have found that the extra lights are never used because they are needed. Now if you plan on running high speeds, then the lights become a need. There is nothing worse than a guy turning on a bunch of lights when they are NOT in the front blinding everyone in front of them.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
There is no shame in buying extra lights, I have some. I have found that after 40,000+ miles of off roading. I have found that the extra lights are never used because they are needed. Now if you plan on running high speeds, then the lights become a need. There is nothing worse than a guy turning on a bunch of lights when they are NOT in the front blinding everyone in front of them.
No shame taken - of course using your lights responsibly is always recommended wherever one is. FWIW, yes, with any oncoming traffic the lights are switched off.

Hawk600

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4Xe
Auxbean Side Shooters and Seven Sparta mount. These have plenty of front and side coverage.
Jeep Wrangler JL A-pillar only lights? 2 - CTQaYgw
Jeep Wrangler JL A-pillar only lights? 1 - EGpbVMl

Last edited:

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Thanks @dragoneggs - appreciate the input. What front bumper is that?
RockHard4x4 Aluminum Patriot mid width. I didn’t want the standard bull bar. They custom built one without and charged me less due to material and labor saving. Great company to work with.

Slammed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU ,2010 Kia Soul
Do you like them? Do they reflect off the hood in your face? Getting ready to purchase as they are on sale. Thanks
No issues for me. Turning them all on( hi lite kc’s on the bumper,flex era 1’s on knuckle mounts and soon to have diode dynamics max pods to replace the factory fogs. I drive down a lot of back country roads earlyin the mornings so like as much as possible. Sucks getting old and not seeing like I did in my 20’s

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i used the small Mopar LEDs with the Mopar mounts.

the Mopar mount provides the option of using 2 pair of lights on the side and/or 1 pair on the top. (some people have even used the holes on the top to mount radio antennas.)
prime goal for me was to have more light illuminating the area to the side of the vehicle in tight turns (and to spot Deer), so i used the side mounts. the lamps are low enough that there isn't any glare off of the hood.
additionally, by mounting the lamps on the side instead of the top, i don't lose the option to be able to lower the windshield.

the headlights do a pretty good job on their own for most of what i need; the Aux lights are adjusted to fill in from the edge of the area covered by the headlights out to the side.
i do have a 2nd set that will be mounted to go further out to the side (true "Ditch Deer Lights"), but it's been a pretty low priority since the current setup is working so well.

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
I went with the Mopar solution and am very happy. If I were to do it again I might choose a different mounting bracket (like @longfiredragon's DV8's) - but if I ever mount a snorkel (questionable) I think I'll be glad I went with the Mopar bracket. The lights themselves are insanely bright - and provide plenty of light for my night time escapades, used mostly to avoid deer on the road. I have them wired to the factory AUX switch.
Jeep Wrangler JL A-pillar only lights? 1 - EGpbVMl
what is the Moapr lumens ?

Sponsored

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Hello, the board. I knew since I got my Willys that I’d eventually get some additional forward lighting, but I also knew I’d only want two A-pillar LED lights. No plan to put on a roof light bar or any bumper pods (I do plan to get Diode Dynamics rear hatch-hinge mount light bar for illumination to the rear). I do have the factory aux switches so I’m looking forward to being able to wire them into those and not install a separate switch.

Looking for personal experience from those running just A-pillar lights and what they’ve experienced. Since these are the only front-facing, they’ll have to serve as combo (spot/flood). I’m looking at KC Flex-Era 4s, Diode’s SS5s, and Baja’s LP6s. Night runs would be primarily USFS roads.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hey @WyrPldn,
When looking for a-pillar lights, a few options that I suggest that Baja Designs offers are our Squadron series, XL Series, and our LP4 aux light, I have seen a few people run our LP6 as A-pillars. With such a large light, I suggest finding a sturdy bracket and getting some dark-colored vinyl to cover the inner part of the IPT to reduce the glare on the hood.

For our Squadron series light, we have two different options. We have our Sports and our pros. Our Pros will be much brighter than our Sports by about 1000 Lumens.

- Squadron Sport Black LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal
- Squadron Pro Black LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal

On our XL series light, we have three different options to go with. We have our Sports, Pro's, and XL80 in this series. Our XL80 is a fantastic light if that is the only light you are planning on running on the rig. The XL80 comes in at 9,022 lumens, while the Pros sit at 4,095 lumens & sports at 3,162 Lumens.

- XL Sport LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal
-XL Pro LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal
-XL80 LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal

Then we have our LP4, coming in at 8,857 Lumens. This light will have a 200-degree spread of usable light with the help of their IPT functions.

- LP4 Pro LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal

With all of our Baja Designs lighting solutions, any pair of lights will come in amber or clear, as well as the appropriate harness. If you would like the best of both worlds, we do offer rock guards in amber to have a quick swap from clear to amber. For more information about lighting zones and what to target, I'll link you to our ELS page to give you a view of our different lens patterns. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or would like to get a quote started.

ELS (Effective Lighting Score)

Best,
Bill

Bill Sonevongxay | Forum Sales & Support 
Email: [email protected] Phone: (760)560-2252

OP
OP
WyrPldn

WyrPldn

First Name
Paladin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sarge Willys JL
Occupation
A knight without armor in a savage land.
Hey @WyrPldn,
When looking for a-pillar lights, a few options that I suggest that Baja Designs offers are our Squadron series, XL Series, and our LP4 aux light, I have seen a few people run our LP6 as A-pillars. With such a large light, I suggest finding a sturdy bracket and getting some dark-colored vinyl to cover the inner part of the IPT to reduce the glare on the hood.

For our Squadron series light, we have two different options. We have our Sports and our pros. Our Pros will be much brighter than our Sports by about 1000 Lumens.

- Squadron Sport Black LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal
- Squadron Pro Black LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal

On our XL series light, we have three different options to go with. We have our Sports, Pro's, and XL80 in this series. Our XL80 is a fantastic light if that is the only light you are planning on running on the rig. The XL80 comes in at 9,022 lumens, while the Pros sit at 4,095 lumens & sports at 3,162 Lumens.

- XL Sport LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal
-XL Pro LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal
-XL80 LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal

Then we have our LP4, coming in at 8,857 Lumens. This light will have a 200-degree spread of usable light with the help of their IPT functions.

- LP4 Pro LED Auxiliary Light Pod Pair - Universal

With all of our Baja Designs lighting solutions, any pair of lights will come in amber or clear, as well as the appropriate harness. If you would like the best of both worlds, we do offer rock guards in amber to have a quick swap from clear to amber. For more information about lighting zones and what to target, I'll link you to our ELS page to give you a view of our different lens patterns. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or would like to get a quote started.

ELS (Effective Lighting Score)

Best,
Bill

Bill Sonevongxay | Forum Sales & Support 
Email: [email protected] Phone: (760)560-2252
Thanks for the detailed reply @BajaDesigns Appreciate the variety of options, Bill. Some good looking lights, for sure!

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
No shame taken - of course using your lights responsibly is always recommended wherever one is. FWIW, yes, with any oncoming traffic the lights are switched off.
Yep. I installed mine because I have two adult kids who occasionally have vehicle breakdowns... always at night... usually in the dead of winter... so I thought a little extra illumination might come in handy. :)
Sponsored