Pillar lights

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Looking for recommendations on some pillar lights. Are amber best for snow? KC, Baja or Rigid? Spot or flood? Have auxiliaries already. Don’t want to spend a fortune.
Let me know your opinions.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, amber is best for cutting through snow, fog, and dust.

I'm a Baja Designs fan. A pair of amber Squadron pros wouldn't break the bank. Spot's are generally more effective at higher than bumper heights, and would also reduce hood glare when mounted to the a-pillars.

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Yes, amber is best for cutting through snow, fog, and dust.

I'm a Baja Designs fan. A pair of amber Squadron pros wouldn't break the bank. Spot's are generally more effective at higher than bumper heights, and would also reduce hood glare when mounted to the a-pillars.
Thanks for the input. They say there is driving and spot optics. Are there two modes? Can I use them legally on the road?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input. They say there is driving and spot optics. Are there two modes? Can I use them legally on the road?
Baja has 2 lense types: high speed spot which focuses light in a 6° pattern, and driving/spot combo which focuses the majority of its lumins in the same 6° pattern plus a lesser amount of lumins in a 40° pattern. Both lights function in all or nothing mode. They have an "LP" line of lights that offer low and high output modes plus an amber backlit/running light.

Maybe @Baja Designs can chime in with more info, including whether or not they can be run while in traffic.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking about falling snow or already on the ground?

Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Baja has 2 lense types: high speed spot which focuses light in a 6° pattern, and driving/spot combo which focuses the majority of its lumins in the same 6° pattern plus a lesser amount of lumins in a 40° pattern. Both lights function in all or nothing mode. They have an "LP" line of lights that offer low and high output modes plus an amber backlit/running light.

Maybe @Baja Designs can chime in with more info, including whether or not they can be run while in traffic.
Thanks for the explanation Mike!

Tom,

We have quite a few options for the A-pillar on a Jeep JL! But I would say the most popular setup is with our Squadron series (3" x 3" size). Check it out, we have a few mounting kits. https://www.bajadesigns.com/pc_comb...57F65E&pc_id=CF7C66892DD040159AB5E48ECE57F65E

Here's a breakdown of the different sub models in the Squadron series.

Squadron SAE - 2480 lumens - matte black powder coat on the housing - SAE compliant for on-road use
Squadron Sport - 3150 lumens - matte black powder coat on the housing
Squadron Pro - 4900 lumens - Gloss black powder coat with an anodize on the housing (durable finish with lifetime warranty on any fading or corrosion)
Squadron Racer Edition - 4300 lumens - Gloss black powder coat with an anodize on the housing (durable finish with lifetime warranty on any fading or corrosion) - features a dome-less LED which projects a tight, concentrated pencil beam - designed for high speeds (75 mph+)

If you're looking for a street legal light, the Squadron SAE will be your only option. But I would do some research on using SAE approved lights on the A-pillar, most states don't allow that and require the lighting to be mounted under your headlights.

But if you're looking for off-road lighting, we have the three remaining units. Here's a description of each lens pattern we offer and a few diagrams that illustrate it. Our LED products feature uService that allows the customer to swap out the lens so you can change your lighting pattern in minutes. For a pair of Squadrons, it's $30 for new lenses. https://www.bajadesigns.com/science-of-lighting/uservice.asp For an A-pillar light, I would recommend a spot lens to have minimal glare on the hood.

Driving Combo: Maximum trail coverage in a single light. The Driving/Combo pattern is equipped with both wide cornering (42°) and Spot (9°) optics to provide you with a smooth blend of light for both near field applications and distance (Lighting Zone 3)

Wide Cornering: BD was the first to develop a pattern specifically for cornering, dust and/or fog conditions. The Wide Cornering pattern offers a 42° flattened horizontal beam for the ultimate in comfort lighting. (Lighting Zones 1 & 2)

Spot: A longer and narrower 9° beam focus for illumination further down the trail or road. The Spot pattern is designed to be used in conjunction with additional Wide Driving and/or Driving/Combo beam lights. (Lighting Zone 4 & 5)

Flood: Excellent work light or “scene light” with an extremely smooth 60° circle that projects about 60 ft). This pattern is not suitable for driving. (Lighting Zone 7)

Choosing between amber or clear, it just depends on what kind of conditions you plan to see. Amber is better for poor conditions such as fog, snow, rain, or dust. It cuts through rather than reflect off the particles, blinding the driver. But if you're in clean conditions, a clear lens will be better for terrain recognition. We have amber lenses and rock guards for easy transition from a clear lens setup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pillar lights 1596639845564

Jeep Wrangler JL Pillar lights 1596639827601

I know his a lot of information, but don't hesitate to ask any questions. Happy to clarify and assist! :)

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thanks for the explanation Mike!

Tom,

We have quite a few options for the A-pillar on a Jeep JL! But I would say the most popular setup is with our Squadron series (3" x 3" size). Check it out, we have a few mounting kits. https://www.bajadesigns.com/pc_comb...57F65E&pc_id=CF7C66892DD040159AB5E48ECE57F65E

Here's a breakdown of the different sub models in the Squadron series.

Squadron SAE - 2480 lumens - matte black powder coat on the housing - SAE compliant for on-road use
Squadron Sport - 3150 lumens - matte black powder coat on the housing
Squadron Pro - 4900 lumens - Gloss black powder coat with an anodize on the housing (durable finish with lifetime warranty on any fading or corrosion)
Squadron Racer Edition - 4300 lumens - Gloss black powder coat with an anodize on the housing (durable finish with lifetime warranty on any fading or corrosion) - features a dome-less LED which projects a tight, concentrated pencil beam - designed for high speeds (75 mph+)

If you're looking for a street legal light, the Squadron SAE will be your only option. But I would do some research on using SAE approved lights on the A-pillar, most states don't allow that and require the lighting to be mounted under your headlights.

But if you're looking for off-road lighting, we have the three remaining units. Here's a description of each lens pattern we offer and a few diagrams that illustrate it. Our LED products feature uService that allows the customer to swap out the lens so you can change your lighting pattern in minutes. For a pair of Squadrons, it's $30 for new lenses. https://www.bajadesigns.com/science-of-lighting/uservice.asp For an A-pillar light, I would recommend a spot lens to have minimal glare on the hood.

Driving Combo: Maximum trail coverage in a single light. The Driving/Combo pattern is equipped with both wide cornering (42°) and Spot (9°) optics to provide you with a smooth blend of light for both near field applications and distance (Lighting Zone 3)

Wide Cornering: BD was the first to develop a pattern specifically for cornering, dust and/or fog conditions. The Wide Cornering pattern offers a 42° flattened horizontal beam for the ultimate in comfort lighting. (Lighting Zones 1 & 2)

Spot: A longer and narrower 9° beam focus for illumination further down the trail or road. The Spot pattern is designed to be used in conjunction with additional Wide Driving and/or Driving/Combo beam lights. (Lighting Zone 4 & 5)

Flood: Excellent work light or “scene light” with an extremely smooth 60° circle that projects about 60 ft). This pattern is not suitable for driving. (Lighting Zone 7)

Choosing between amber or clear, it just depends on what kind of conditions you plan to see. Amber is better for poor conditions such as fog, snow, rain, or dust. It cuts through rather than reflect off the particles, blinding the driver. But if you're in clean conditions, a clear lens will be better for terrain recognition. We have amber lenses and rock guards for easy transition from a clear lens setup.

I know his a lot of information, but don't hesitate to ask any questions. Happy to clarify and assist! :)
Wow thank you for all that info. I really appreciate it. I’ll have to do some research and find out what I truly need. I’ll reach out if I have anymore questions. Thanks again.
Sponsored