First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Either way I don’t have the luxury of Sunday driving < 55 mph where I live and drive. It’s going to go faster than 55 in the first 300 miles. But I promise to keep it as reasonable as possible.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Where? I saw this in the manual:

I didn't read it as not to exceed 55mph. Am I misinterpreting? I would think if they didn't want you to exceed 55mph, they would be more explicit.
Speeds up to 55. Doesn't mean anything else. If your engine had problems in the first few hundred miles how do you think the dealer would interpret it if you drove most of it at 70 to 75 mph? I wouldn't risk it and I'd wait a few days. Although I don't spend big money going to watch a bunch of millionaires run around for an hour when I could buy more things for my Wrangler instead. Different priorities I guess.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Speeds up to 55. Doesn't mean anything else. If your engine had problems in the first few hundred miles how do you think the dealer would interpret it if you drove most of it at 70 to 75 mph? I wouldn't risk it and I'd wait a few days. Although I don't spend big money going to watch a bunch of millionaires run around for an hour when I could buy more things for my Wrangler instead. Different priorities I guess.
Right, but the whole quote is "After the initial 60 miles speeds up to 50 or 55 mph are desirable." That does not mean the same thing as do not exceed 55mph or It is recommended to keep the vehicle under 55mph, etc. I know what the dealer would say but I bet many lawyers would also be able to argue it the other way due to the lack of specificity. Regardless, it is a fight most would not want to get into to begin with.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Right, but the whole quote is "After the initial 60 miles speeds up to 50 or 55 mph are desirable." That does not mean the same thing as do not exceed 55mph or It is recommended to keep the vehicle under 55mph, etc. I know what the dealer would say but I bet many lawyers would also be able to argue it the other way due to the lack of specificity. Regardless, it is a fight most would not want to get into to begin with.
Lawyers? No one believes lawyers.:facepalm: They just add tons of money and years of time onto any problem. I measure almost everything by risk versus reward/benefit. To me this is very little reward with a little risk. Waiting a few days to drive it according to the recommendation of the manufacturer and you eliminate that part of the risk of a bad engine.
For example, I've seen too many mangled dead and live bodies from motorcycle wrecks versus them having no utilitarian benefit (at least in the US). That's why I have never driven or ridden on one. But riding one can present a benefit to other people, like the couple I saw driving a big hog and when they came to a red light he couldn't hold it up, then he couldn't lift it off the pavement. Very funny.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Where? I saw this in the manual:

I didn't read it as not to exceed 55mph. Am I misinterpreting? I would think if they didn't want you to exceed 55mph, they would be more explicit.
They may have changed it. I'll look but I'm pretty sure mine said not go go over 50 or 55 for the first 300 miles, as well. I've got a 3.6. Maybe they changed it for the turbo? Shouldn't matter, but it isn't too different. The main thing is to vary the engine speed and don't put too big a load on it. I'd also keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 300 to 500 miles, but that's just me. Some of the most critical break-in is done at the engine factory when each is fired up and put through a leak test. I'd bet that's where the rings really get seated. They are started and run a little more when the Jeep is put through its initial tests after assembly.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Either way I don’t have the luxury of Sunday driving < 55 mph where I live and drive. It’s going to go faster than 55 in the first 300 miles. But I promise to keep it as reasonable as possible.
Lol, I doubt you'd bother it. My nephew owns a drag racing engine company that makes little Honda engines put out 600 plus horsepower. They used to very gingerly break them in, but he says now they build them, leak check them, run them easily for maybe 15 minutes, (not exceeding 4000 rpm), then they run them hard on the dyno to verify horsepower. They then go to the customer who puts them on a drag strip after only a little bit of installation checking. He says it doesn't seem to make a difference between the two methods they've used.

If you think about it, these things really have to be ignorance proof. 99% of the population purchasing them doesn't bother with break-in procedures and their vehicles do fine.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If you think about it, these things really have to be ignorance proof. 99% of the population purchasing them doesn't bother with break-in procedures and their vehicles do fine.
Quoted for truth. On modern automotive engines built since about the early 1980’s break in is not that critical. I don’t expect seal or ring problems from driving it 65 instead of 55 in the first few hundred miles. Otherwise these things would be leaking and blowing up right and left because few owners bother even reading break in procedures, much less strictly adhering to them. And should there be any issue, I’ll just follow the often quoted mantra on this forum whenever something is broken on someone’s brand new Jeep, “Just take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. That’s what your warranty is for!”

And it’s not an issue anyway. Anyone who’s driven I-10 between Houston and NOLA knows that it’s 350 miles of nonstop construction zones and traffic jams. Lol.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Quoted for truth. On modern automotive engines built since about the early 1980’s break in is not that critical. I don’t expect seal or ring problems from driving it 65 instead of 55 in the first few hundred miles. Otherwise these things would be leaking and blowing up right and left because few owners bother even reading break in procedures, much less strictly adhering to them. And should there be any issue, I’ll just follow the often quoted mantra on this forum whenever something is broken on someone’s brand new Jeep, “Just take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. That’s what your warranty is for!”

And it’s not an issue anyway. Anyone who’s driven I-10 between Houston and NOLA knows that it’s 350 miles of nonstop construction zones and traffic jams. Lol.
Enjoy your go/stop/go some more ride, I'm sure you'll love it and you won't stop grinning no matter the what speed you manage. That traffic will give you the varying loads, that's for sure! More importantly, which central TX raised quarterback will you cheer for???

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Enjoy your go/stop/go some more ride, I'm sure you'll love it and you won't stop grinning no matter the what speed you manage. That traffic will give you the varying loads, that's for sure! More importantly, which central TX raised quarterback will you cheer for???
Thanks. That’s a silly question. Brady has more super bowls for sure and I give him a slight edge in GOAT status at this moment. However #9 is right there with him (or ahead) in every other stat that matters in fewer seasons with fewer weapons and a really good coach, but no Bill Belichik.

Saints 31 - Eagles 27.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
awesome. Lots of pics. The break in isnt for the motor but the gears. That said, ive immediately installed GN hitch, hooked to a 15k trailer and let her rip. Never had any issues.

brett

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
First pic as I walked up to the dealership. Still completing paperwork but I’ll post more later. I’m so excited that I ain’t even mad about the 2 gallons of greasy tire dressing they used! Lol.

673AEC50-92EE-4590-98EA-8B72416768FA.jpeg

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The delivery checklist is great. Helps so much.

20 of the fuses and all of the relays in the fuse box weren’t properly seated. Some quite looose. They’re all good now.

I had them drive it onto the lift for me to inspect underneath before I even signed any papers. The welds (track bar bracket in particular) look great. Phew! Another confirmation that waiting for 2019 was the right choice for me.

The sensor for the ACC is not intrusive in the slightest. At all. I’m 6’2”.

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Congratulations! I ordered my on 11/30 and it was built on 12/23. It’s in the final ship stage for the last three weeks...waiting for, I guess, a critical mass of orders to come to CA. The wait is like watching water boil... ugh!
Sponsored