Sponsored

6 Speed Manual performance difference?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I've not seen that and it is doubtful. That would be all to easy to commit odometer fraud.
"I'm currently running 50" tires" lol
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What mph does 1st top out at?

after, uh, engine break-in of course ;)
1st gear, with 315/70/17 KO2's on stock rims with a Rubicon, 4.10 rear, manual transmission, hits 30mph right at red line. I believe that to be pretty accurate. I might have shifted a hundred or so rpms short of red line, but it is as precise as I can get it with an analog guage.

SantiamJp

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ; 1996 XJ; 2006 XK
So being from Oregon, I have mostly wheeled in mud. Naturally, I have grown up using almost exclusively manual trans to wheel with. I just bought the JLUR with a manual transmission and hope to defeat the Rubicon trail as well as some Moab trails. Everyone is telling me that it’s almost impossible in a manual, especially since you cannot use your starter to crawl over rocks. So now I’m having buyer’s remorse. @DanW or anyone else—can you tell me your experience? Or at least save me the humiliation and money of trading the rig in with only 500 miles on it in exchange for an auto??

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
So being from Oregon, I have mostly wheeled in mud. Naturally, I have grown up using almost exclusively manual trans to wheel with. I just bought the JLUR with a manual transmission and hope to defeat the Rubicon trail as well as some Moab trails. Everyone is telling me that it’s almost impossible in a manual, especially since you cannot use your starter to crawl over rocks. So now I’m having buyer’s remorse. @DanW or anyone else—can you tell me your experience? Or at least save me the humiliation and money of trading the rig in with only 500 miles on it in exchange for an auto??
You can do anything with the manual that you can do with automatic, aside from holding your Starbucks. It’s more challenging of course, but that’s the point.

Sponsored

Mud-N-Sun

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 2 door Sport TJ 2018 JLU Sport-S
So for me the transmission felt for want of a better word dainty. But then I am coming from a 2003 TJ up to a 2018 JL 4-door. My first impression was that clutch had very little play and I wasn't getting the power acceleration I was getting from my 4L TJ. (I haven't done any kind of comparison other than off how it feels to accelerate so I could be very wrong) In my TJ I was always racing to get to third gear which was really my acceleration gear as 1st and 2nd were geared more for low speed power. Now on the JL I felt like from 1st to 2nd was about 5 seconds and from 2nd to 4th was more of a smooth constant acceleration instead of the raw speed and power of 3rd in my TJ. 5TH 6th gears are geared so that I didn't really feel that much power behind them and are more for cruising speeds. All in all it was a bit of a rough transition for me at first coming from a TJ that still runs like a tank. I am not used to all of the bells and whistles of the JL but after about 15 minutes driving it I started to like the 6 speed transmission more and more. You can't really compare it to an old TJ however...they are just to different. But it does drive really nice shifting is easy and it is much easier for my wife to drive. However there is something to be said for the raw simplicity of the TJ. I am still adjusting...but after awhile I did like the manual transmission.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
It’s all a matter of skill. “Everybody” telling you are most likely unskilled drivers with MTs.
I personally will follow and auto tranny anywhere. The Auto is easier which is different from better. Furthermore when pushed to the limits the auto starts overheating unless extra cooling has been added. So out of the box, the MT is ready for anything and more than an Auto. But, but you got to like the MT. Otherwise follow the crowd.
You say you have experience in mud, well, the Auto guys say the Auto is much better in mud because it is very difficult to shift in mud. You push the clutch and come to a stop before you can shift. That’s inexperience as you probably know.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
the Auto guys say the Auto is much better in mud because it is very difficult to shift in mud
There's also the possibility of sucking water or mud into the system when shifting underwater, when the clutch and the flywheel separate.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You'll do just fine. The people saying that it can't be done in a manual are really just saying they can't do it. I've done Moab in my JK 6 speed with no issue. The JL is better. The Rubicon is set up to do this kind of off roading. They tested the prototypes with manuals, right on the Rubicon Trail. You don't even have to be that highly skilled, especially with 84:1 gearing and hill start assist. It will surprise you how easily it will handle it. Just start practicing on mild trails and work your way up. There's never been a rig from the factory so well set up for that trail.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
There's also the possibility of sucking water or mud into the system when shifting underwater, when the clutch and the flywheel separate.
True. Again, it is a matter of skill and experience. In mud you shift when you can not when you have to. Got to know what you’re doing.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It may be worth mentioning that the TazerJL introduces a user-enabled mode that will lock the brakes allowing for very specific/precise small movements (similar to using the starter method, which I've always thought was risky). It's triggered by a combination of a few steering wheel button pushes. Sounds like that may further support your buying decision. With your rig there shouldn't be any buyers remorse.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
"I'm currently running 50" tires" lol
If you were wanting the odometer to register low, wouldn't you want to tell the car's computer that you were running *smaller* tires than you have on it and not larger tires?

I believe the Taser allows you to go down a bit in the tire size, so if you wanted to help your warranty be limited by time instead of distance, that might be an option. It probably won't allow you to say you are running 16" tires instead of 32" ones though. That would be nice since it would double the mileage that the warranty would be good for over the number of years that it is active. Plus, indicated speed would be half of your actual speed, so you wouldn't need to mount a table of indicated vs actual speeds on your dash. When I lifted my XJ and put larger tires on it, it worked out that my speedometer was not calibrated in *knots* (since the new tires were 15% larger).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you were wanting the odometer to register low, wouldn't you want to tell the car's computer that you were running *smaller* tires than you have on it and not larger tires?

I believe the Taser allows you to go down a bit in the tire size, so if you wanted to help your warranty be limited by time instead of distance, that might be an option. It probably won't allow you to say you are running 16" tires instead of 32" ones though. That would be nice since it would double the mileage that the warranty would be good for over the number of years that it is active. Plus, indicated speed would be half of your actual speed, so you wouldn't need to mount a table of indicated vs actual speeds on your dash. When I lifted my XJ and put larger tires on it, it worked out that my speedometer was not calibrated in *knots* (since the new tires were 15% larger).
Doing that intentionally would make you a criminal. It might even be a federal offense.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Doing that intentionally would make you a criminal. It might even be a federal offense.
These days, I suspect even *breathing* is a federal offense. Yeah, the swamp needs draining, but we need to drown everything in the swamp first...

Last edited: