First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
So, I read elsewhere that they have lowered the battery capacity to 16 KW. If they did actually lower the KW rating of the battery to 16 after they sold us on 17 promoting us to order, we have been deceived and everybody making the decision whether or not it was do to the combined performance/value experience is ..LOOSING $413.00 . This is calculated using the formula on form IRC 30D. in federal tax credit plus potentially more if they have a state tax credit! Personally, the overly optimistic estimated performance error is one thing but if they reduced battery capacity and performance less than advertised I think they owe us something. Especially when it literally takes money out of our packet when we ordered acting in good faith on their provided information.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
So, I read elsewhere that they have lowered the battery capacity to 16 KW. If they did actually lower the KW rating of the battery to 16 after they sold us on 17 promoting us to order, we have been deceived and everybody making the decision whether or not it was do to the combined performance/value experience is ..LOOSING $413.00 . This is calculated using the formula on form IRC 30D. in federal tax credit plus potentially more if they have a state tax credit! Personally, the overly optimistic estimated performance error is one thing but if they reduced battery capacity and performance less than advertised I think they owe us something. Especially when it literally takes many out of our packet when we ordered acting in good faith on their provided information.
Yeah, I'm struggling with this right now. On one hand, I want to keep in mind that I knew the numbers were estimates to begin with and not overreact. But on the other hand, a high-single-digit percentage margin of error wouldn't fly even in a college lab assignment, so it's hard to believe there wasn't at least some deception at play here.

The one thing I'm thinking is that I very much doubt that they changed the physical specifications for the battery pack itself. There are two more likely explanations. The first is that they simply decided to be more conservative and have the software leave more safe buffer from the total usable capacity of the pack, as going below a certain minimum level of charge on the battery will result in rapid and irreversible damage. As with ALL batteries, only the "usable" portion is reported, and there is no governing body to determine where that cutoff is. The second possible explanation is, well, they flat out decided to lie "a little bit" to drum up some more interest early on, especially in light of the talk-of-the-town Bronco reveal -- you may recall their 4xe advertisement hastily taking a swipe at the Bronco mere days after that reveal happened.

I suspect the 16kWh figure, along with the 350hp/442lb-ft figures pointed to on the Canadian site, are going to end up being the "official" figures. That's conveniently a 6-7% decrease across the board than initially advertised. That number may sound small, but bear in mind that an even smaller percentage differential separates the SRT Demon from its "detuned" Hellcat Redeye sibling. The fact that there are other differences between those two cars isn't lost on me, but my point is that FCA knows these reductions in performance figures are significant.

Time to grab the pitchforks? Not sure. It's not clear whether these lower figures are even final (though it seems like it's starting to move in that direction). And even at the lower numbers, the 4xe is likely still the "right" choice for me at this point in time. But man, does my gut tell me I should be angry.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, I'm struggling with this right now. On one hand, I want to keep in mind that I knew the numbers were estimates to begin with and not overreact. But on the other hand, a high-single-digit percentage margin of error wouldn't fly even in a college lab assignment, so it's hard to believe there wasn't at least some deception at play here.

The one thing I'm thinking is that I very much doubt that they changed the physical specifications for the battery pack itself. There are two more likely explanations. The first is that they simply decided to be more conservative and have the software leave more safe buffer from the total usable capacity of the pack, as going below a certain minimum level of charge on the battery will result in rapid and irreversible damage. As with ALL batteries, only the "usable" portion is reported, and there is no governing body to determine where that cutoff is. The second possible explanation is, well, they flat out decided to lie "a little bit" to drum up some more interest early on, especially in light of the talk-of-the-town Bronco reveal -- you may recall their 4xe advertisement hastily taking a swipe at the Bronco mere days after that reveal happened.

I suspect the 16kWh figure, along with the 350hp/442lb-ft figures pointed to on the Canadian site, are going to end up being the "official" figures. That's conveniently a 6-7% decrease across the board than initially advertised. That number may sound small, but bear in mind that an even smaller percentage differential separates the SRT Demon from its "detuned" Hellcat Redeye sibling. The fact that there are other differences between those two cars isn't lost on me, but my point is that FCA knows these reductions in performance figures are significant.

Time to grab the pitchforks? Not sure. It's not clear whether these lower figures are even final (though it seems like it's starting to move in that direction). And even at the lower numbers, the 4xe is likely still the "right" choice for me at this point in time. But man, does my gut tell me I should be angry.
AND, it take another $413 plus out of your packet without good cause if it is a reduction in battery capacity to 16Kwh

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Electric range is reduced by 3 miles(12%), from 25 to 22.
Total range is reduced by 30 miles(7.5%) from 400 to 370.
MPGe is reduced by 1 (2%), from 50 TO 49.

I deduce from this data that the methods used by FCA to get their initial published estimates was not accepted by the EPA. This is strong evidence that the holdup on deliveries was caused by FCA trying to get the EPA to agree with their initial specs.

Sponsored

no.sleep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Billet Silver JLUR 4xe
Exactly what happened to me. Shouldn't have to be like this!
Magically my Jeep has finished build a day after getting build sheet from crypto (after escalating case), sounds exactly like what you described happened with yours.

I wonder how many others are “parts gathered waiting to be built” but are actually finished build. 🤔

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
16 kWH still gives the full $7500 tax credit. $2500 plus $417 plus $(417* (battery size - 5kwh) = $7504 =>capped at $7500
The way I read it is 2500 for the first 5 Kwh with 417 for every 1 Kwh after. If that's the case then my math holds. 11 Kwh at 417 plus 2500 is $7087

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
The way I read it is 2500 for the first 5 Kwh with 417 for every 1 Kwh after. If that's the case then my math holds. 11 Kwh at 417 plus 2500 is $7087
The Pacifica hybrid has a 16 kWh battery and is getting the full $7500 federal credit.

Sponsored

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Jeep sent me an e-mail this morning more or less with a copy/paste of the text from the screenshot somebody posted yesterday.

"
This is a courtesy email update regarding your Jeep Wrangler 4xe factory order status.

We at Jeep want to thank you for your order of the highly anticipated new Wrangler 4xe. We are anxious to get your vehicle built and shipped to your dealer as quickly as possible and want to assure you that your order has our attention and priority.

We are finalizing the validation process that every new vehicle goes through to ensure the highest possible quality and expect to start shipping vehicles near the end of March for delivery to dealer lots beginning in April.

I will continue to monitor your order for additional delivery updates and I anticipate having further updates to share with you soon. I have set my next scheduled followup with you for March 25th at the absolute latest, but will reach out to you further as soon as there are additional updates to share on your order.

We sincerely appreciate your business. Thank you for your loyalty and we’re proud to have you as a member of the Jeep Family!
"

Seems that memo is definitely circulating on their end, which seems to be the first consistently-messaged timeframe (ignoring dealers claiming "in the next couple weeks" for the past couple months).

The good news? That same memo stuck to the original 375hp/470lb-ft torque numbers. The bad news? That memo had revised 22mi electric only and 370mi total range figures.

Obviously nothing is final until it's final, but really hoping we can lock things in here. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Edit: Added full text of the e-mail body. I'm not sure if the March 25 date noted has any significance, and I'm 90% certain I'm reading way too far into it. But, for what it's worth, they had initially told me they'd follow up on March 4 (today) way back in mid-February, and they did. March 3 (yesterday) seems to be when that memo was circulated, so they followed up the day immediately after they had a real update for me. Coincidence? Probably, but I'm hoping it wasn't. Again, I'm likely reading way too far into it, but I'm hoping there's some sort of mass shipment on, say, March 24, and that the March 25th scheduled follow-up is to let me know it's on the way. Oh boy, I just realized I sound a little crazy...

Last edited:

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

BiscuitEater

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Jeep sent me an e-mail this morning more or less with a copy/paste of the text from the screenshot somebody posted yesterday.

"
This is a courtesy email update regarding your Jeep Wrangler 4xe factory order status.

We at Jeep want to thank you for your order of the highly anticipated new Wrangler 4xe. We are anxious to get your vehicle built and shipped to your dealer as quickly as possible and want to assure you that your order has our attention and priority.

We are finalizing the validation process that every new vehicle goes through to ensure the highest possible quality and expect to start shipping vehicles near the end of March for delivery to dealer lots beginning in April.

I will continue to monitor your order for additional delivery updates and I anticipate having further updates to share with you soon. I have set my next scheduled followup with you for March 25th at the absolute latest, but will reach out to you further as soon as there are additional updates to share on your order.

We sincerely appreciate your business. Thank you for your loyalty and we’re proud to have you as a member of the Jeep Family!
"

Seems that memo is definitely circulating on their end, which seems to be the first consistently-messaged timeframe (ignoring dealers claiming "in the next couple weeks" for the past couple months).

The good news? That same memo stuck to the original 375hp/470lb-ft torque numbers. The bad news? That memo had revised 22mi electric only and 370mi total range figures.

Obviously nothing is final until it's final, but really hoping we can lock things in here. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Edit: Added full text of the e-mail body. I'm not sure if the March 25 date noted has any significance, and I'm 90% certain I'm reading way too far into it. But, for what it's worth, they had initially told me they'd follow up on March 4 (today) way back in mid-February, and they did. March 3 (yesterday) seems to be when that memo was circulated, so they followed up the day immediately after they had a real update for me. Coincidence? Probably, but I'm hoping it wasn't. Again, I'm likely reading way too far into it, but I'm hoping there's some sort of mass shipment on, say, March 24, and that the March 25th scheduled follow-up is to let me know it's on the way. Oh boy, I just realized I sound a little crazy...
Wow, that’s nice that you get emails. I feel like the most annoying person in the world bugging Jeep Chat (daily) and my dealer (via email 2-3 times/wk). You’re not the only one feeling crazy, if not for this forum I would be swirling with buyers remorse.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I believe it's...

$2500 period (regardless of capacity)
+ $417 for the first 5kWh, if it is at least that size
+ $417 for each kWh thereafter

Your interpretation is combining the first two lines, and leaving out the initial $417 in the process.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Wow, that’s nice that you get emails. I feel like the most annoying person in the world bugging Jeep Chat (daily) and my dealer (via email 2-3 times/wk). You’re not the only one feeling crazy, if not for this forum I would be swirling with buyers remorse.
At least based on the info here, I think mine was one of the first ones built (mid-Jan). I've been bugging Jeep Chat 1-2x a day, and after about a month they "escalated" my case, which gave me precisely zero extra information until today's e-mail.

I'm rather sure I'm getting prettttty damn annoying too. I try not to bug my dealer too much, though. Just Jeep Chat. 😒
Sponsored