OP
Loops

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango SRT, RAM TRX (order) Rubicon 4xE (order)
As some who is an irrefutable expert in the green energy and electric car charging space, I can say with absolute certainly that in no way would it make sense to haul a generator out just to charge the electric battery.

It also won’t make any sense to haul a bunch of panels before anyone suggests it.
carry extra fuel
Ya, I think it’s more of a misunderstanding how the system works. I thought if the battery was at 0% you wouldn’t have the advertised power and torque. So I was trying to figure out how to get that stored energy back so you can tow or trail ride with 375 hp and 470 torque as advertised.
Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Ya, I think it’s more of a misunderstanding how the system works. I thought if the battery was at 0% you wouldn’t have the advertised power and torque. So I was trying to figure out how to get that stored energy back so you can tow or trail ride with 375 hp and 470 torque as advertised.

Bring a lithium battery powered generator with you instead of a gas/diesel generator. Austria is doing that via a roadside assistance service for electric cars that run out of power between charging stations.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
... I can say with absolute certainly that in no way would it make sense to haul a generator out just to charge the electric battery...
Unless you are above 122F or below -22F; then it makes perfect sense.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
But if you use a hybrid electric generator.....

7A6A0A3A-6528-4B57-8356-F05FEA88F12F.gif

All joking aside, you could actually bring a lithium battery pack generator with you. It would be enough to get you enough juice for several miles at a time and you can recharge it at any basic power outlet.
Now somebody is thinking, and us ICE heretics wont have to hear your generator running all night while we try and sleep in the forest.

Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
“Anything makes sense if you don’t think about it”
- UPGRAYEDD
Not sure what you mean with this statement. That's ok; I don't get some meme's either.

According to supplement, if the battery is heat or cool soaked beyond the temperature limits, it won't start until you plug it in to power the battery conditioner.

Imagine visiting the desert. You park your 4xe with the windows closed in the hot sun. If the air temp outside is ~110F, the interior, where the battery is, could easily exceed the 122F limit. Similarly, if you live where temperatures get truly cold, you might return to your JL after a day of ice fishing and find it won't start. By design. It sure would be nice to have a portable way to heat or cool the battery pack allowing you to drive again.

It's unlikely to happen to me, but for those who live in less hospitable environments, this might be an issue.

Perhaps, I'm just overthinking it.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Not sure what you mean with this statement. That's ok; I don't get some meme's either.

According to supplement, if the battery is heat or cool soaked beyond the temperature limits, it won't start until you plug it in to power the battery conditioner.

Imagine visiting the desert. You park your 4xe with the windows closed in the hot sun. If the air temp outside is ~110F, the interior, where the battery is, could easily exceed the 122F limit. Similarly, if you live where temperatures get truly cold, you might return to your JL after a day of ice fishing and find it won't start. By design. It sure would be nice to have a portable way to heat or cool the battery pack allowing you to drive again.

It's unlikely to happen to me, but for those who live in less hospitable environments, this might be an issue.

Reading the supplement, it isn't 100% clear but it reads to me that the non-start condition would happen in extreme temperatures *and* the 12V battery is disconnected. It wouldn't make sense to disable the vehicle altogether.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Reading the supplement, it isn't 100% clear but it reads to me that the non-start condition would happen in extreme temperatures *and* the 12V battery is disconnected. It wouldn't make sense to disable the vehicle altogether.
The way I read it also. You could still start the ICE and it would condition the batteries to the point they will be used.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military

No, my bad. It didn’t mean anything. It was just a silly thing to say in reference to “makes sense” in general. There was no undertone meant there. 👍

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The way I read it also. You could still start the ICE and it would condition the batteries to the point they will be used.
It isn’t very clear in the text, but we know how hot vehicle interiors get. If 122 degrees = no start, these things will be broken down all over the place. I have a hard time believing that.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It isn’t very clear in the text, but we know how hot vehicle interiors get. If 122 degrees = no start, these things will be broken down all over the place. I have a hard time believing that.
yah, I hope I'm just misinterpreting the manual. It makes sense that the conditioner won't work without 12V. It also makes sense that, when plugged in, it will automagically condition the battery. The question is will it condition when sitting, parked without external power.

Also, Pg 7 shows <-22F & >+131F, Pg 76 shows <-22F & >+122F, as no start temperatures. Even Jeep is unsure about this. :)

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The recommended level 2 requires 32a
[/QUOT
As some who is an irrefutable expert in the green energy and electric car charging space, I can say with absolute certainly that in no way would it make sense to haul a generator out just to charge the electric battery.

It also won’t make any sense to haul a bunch of panels before anyone suggests it.
carry extra fuel
Why not solar panels? Sure, it takes a while to recharge at Level 1, but you could get a partial charge parked in the sun for several hours every day.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Why not solar panels? Sure, it takes a while to recharge at Level 1, but you could get a partial charge parked in the sun for several hours every day.
Do the math on how "partial" a small panel will charge up a 17.3KWH battery pack. *Maybe* you'll get a half mile range from a full day of solar charging on a 100 watt panel? I'd rather carry 3oz of extra fuel.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Do the math on how "partial" a small panel will charge up a 17.3KWH battery pack. *Maybe* you'll get a half mile range from a full day of solar charging on a 100 watt panel? I'd rather carry 3oz of extra fuel.
I was looking at a 500 watt system, but not just for camping. If I spend 6 hours at the beach 3 times a week, that really starts adding up. Parked in the driveway on sunny days would help too. Planning to use this Jeep for all my short hops around town. We only have one public level 2 station and I dont want to add to my current power bill.
Sponsored