Slow 4xe charging.

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have recently started charging my 4xe at work. I have noticed it takes longer than 2.5 hours to fully charge with a level 2 charger. It normally charges faster than that. Has anyone else noticed this? I am wondering if its taking longer to charge since its so hot here. Any thoughts?

Hal
Sponsored

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I have recently started charging my 4xe at work. I have noticed it takes longer than 2.5 hours to fully charge with a level 2 charger. It normally charges faster than that. Has anyone else noticed this? I am wondering if its taking longer to charge since its so hot here. Any thoughts?

Hal
Every level 2 charger has its own amp rating. Maybe the one at your workplace is charging at an amperage lower than the max that the 4xe can handle. I believe the max is 32A, can someone confirm?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Every level 2 charger has its own amp rating. Maybe the one at your workplace is charging at an amperage lower than the max that the 4xe can handle. I believe the max is 32A, can someone confirm?
@Getmadboy

I agree with your post.. Also, I have read 32amp is Max.

OP
OP
halsjeep

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
It does show 32A on the charger. I had it plugged up 3 hours this morning and it only charged 87%. It normally will charge in about 2:15 minutes. I am just wondering what could be causing the slow down.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does show 32A on the charger. I had it plugged up 3 hours this morning and it only charged 87%. It normally will charge in about 2:15 minutes. I am just wondering what could be causing the slow down.
@halsjeep
Could very well be an issue in regard to your works charger. Test / try elsewhere.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I think the main qualification to be a level 2 evse is that it runs on 240V. I don't think there are specific current (or power) requirements. So an evse that provides just 12A@240V (2.88kW) would still be a level 2 evse.

Additionally, if it's a dual-port evse, the power is often shared between both ports. For example, one of the public evses near me provides 6.1kW, shared between both ports.

Note also that the ratings for evses are theoretical maxes, not what they will actually provide at any given point. It's clear that the one you're plugged into is not providing its rated max.

For the 4xe, max charge power is 7.2kW, which is 30A@240V.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
The other thing it could be is that maybe the charger is rated for 32A, but the electrical lines running to it are only producing a lower amperage. This would be possible if the electrical lines already existed with a lower amperage charger and then your company upgraded the charger but not the lines.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will mention is this thread...... as many guys / gals are unaware..... In Google Maps, under Settings>Electric vehicle settings you will find.... this....

Jeep Wrangler JL Slow 4xe charging. Screenshot_20210622-134512_Maps

Jeep Wrangler JL Slow 4xe charging. Screenshot_20210622-134810_Maps

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Maybe work is running 208V vs 240V at your residence? That's ~ 15% difference in max charge rate.

Sponsored

cmdonnell

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini SE, Jeep Wrangler
In addition to a (non electric) Wrangler we are also getting a fully electric Mini and from watching videos while researching we’ve learned that there are a lot of variables with batteries and charging stations that can cause charging speed differences. I think it’s probably best to not stress over relatively minor differences. Heat/cold can make a difference, it can take the batteries a while to warm up to accepting current and chargers are not always running right.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
As other have mentioned, saying 32A on the charger does not necessarily mean that it charges at that rate.

i installed a chargepoint in my garage that support 50A, but i have it limited to 32A.

same with the public chargers. The hardware used for most public chargers allows the owner of the equipment to set the max charge rate. They may have it set lower than 32A.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have found over the years with electric vehicle charging that if multiple people are plugged into the charger at the same time it slows down. This can happen on the chargers with 2 plugs and also with all chargers that are on the same circuit at office buildings, parking lots, etc...

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
To add some more info to what has already been mentioned.....
Many public/work L2 chargers are set up to power share. Multiple plugs share a single dual pole circuit. And most of those are 208v so even if they are running at full power, it's about 6.6 kW vs 7.2 kW at home.

When a public station is power sharing, it can be done in a variety of ways. Most common is equal split which would likely charge a single vehicle at 6.6 kW (assuming the vehicle is capable of that speed) and two vehicles at 3.3 kW each. It all depends on how the owner sets up the devices as there are multiple configurations from first in to first out, round robin, etc etc.
Sponsored