4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL)

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
Update - I took it to a Jeep dealer and they put their coder on it and it came back nothing. He said it's not giving any codes? So, I left because they couldn't look at it today anyway. Going to take it in Monday and leave it. Kind of hoping it resets itself over the weekend. Seems to be driving normal.
I wonder if disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will clear your CEL. If you're going to do so, remember to also pull the ICDM fuse (Fuse F09) before you disconnect the positive and negative leads.
Sponsored

aspst10

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Rubicon
Reports across facebook indicating the 4xes are having a check engine light issues with FCA flying engineers out to inspect; doesn't sound good. Anyone on this forum run into the issue yet? I'm impatiently waiting for my 4xe to show up (supposedly by the end of the month now - but i've heard that before...); these reports make me feel better that I'm still driving my JK.
I had my 4xe for 48 hours when the engine light came on. The car wouldn’t let me into e-save or electric mode only hybrid mode. I had about 45% on the battery and had to make it home. Once the battery got to <1% the Jeep stopped in the middle of the road I was on. Luckily had enough coast to get to a side road. Had my kids in it and all. Good times. It’s been at the dealer since. They can’t find anything wrong, super surprised.

4times

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4xe
Update - I took it to a Jeep dealer and they put their coder on it and it came back nothing. He said it's not giving any codes? So, I left because they couldn't look at it today anyway. Going to take it in Monday and leave it. Kind of hoping it resets itself over the weekend. Seems to be driving normal.
Another update - The check engine light went off. Then drove some more this afternoon and it’s back on. Wondering if it’s just bad or low octane gas? I haven’t had to fill it up yet.

Last edited:

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
what a cluster of hoses, wonder what they will cost just for the hoses and wonder what the procedures will be to change the coolant for the bsg and battery??

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
So....262 miles on my high altitude 4XE....loving it quite frankly.

But I just noticed the check engine light on during my drive home tonight. Now, 266 miles on it. Car feels fine, drives seemingly fine in all 3 modes as well. Time to drop by the dealer service dept.! Will update when I got some info...

Sponsored

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
Also, just saying...checked fuses and they look seated and fine. Will see if its that cooling thing...

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
180 miles here and the 4XE is at the dealer for a “Brake” light that would not go out (double checked the e-brake, fluid levels and no leaks or binding of pads). Drives (and stops) fine, but obviously something amiss, hope it’s a simple sensor or non-issue! Will update with dealer findings when I get them

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes, and to think back to how people were hating on the ED when it first rolled out.

4times

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4xe
Another update - The check engine light went off. Then drove some more this afternoon and it’s back on. Wondering if it’s just bad or low octane gas? I haven’t had to fill it up yet.
Took it back to dealer. This time code reader showed stored error for battery coolant pump. They reset it hoping it was just a stored error that needed reset because check engine light was going out then coming back on intermittently.

After reset it stayed off most of the day then came back on. Seems to be driving fine but taking it back in and leaving with the dealer now. Not sure what the word is on the fix for this battery coolant pump? Not a big deal probably just annoying to have to deal with it on a new one.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
My guess is a sensor or software. My work car (charger ) needed a software update to fix the check engine light coming on due to reading emissions too sensitively.

Sponsored

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
180 miles here and the 4XE is at the dealer for a “Brake” light that would not go out (double checked the e-brake, fluid levels and no leaks or binding of pads). Drives (and stops) fine, but obviously something amiss, hope it’s a simple sensor or non-issue! Will update with dealer findings when I get them
Dealer said to do full evaluation they needed to have vehicle at 100% charge on the battery pack, so they charged it, and took it for a drive and just called to say that almost immediately upon leaving the shop that the battery display dropped to 50%. Jeep engineer apparently on their way out (from where, I don’t know) to investigate further. 😣

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
So just updating about my check engine light..... I think I mentioned it went on yesterday on my way home from work, a short 3 mile or so commute...

Anyways, I took the jeep for a nighttime drive and the check engine light was nowhere to be seen. Today’s drive was also flawless, the light is indeed off. Not going to take it to the dealer at this time, but obviously I will be keeping an eye out for that lamp to light up again. And the car drives fine.

bennybingbong

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Reports across facebook indicating the 4xes are having a check engine light issues with FCA flying engineers out to inspect; doesn't sound good. Anyone on this forum run into the issue yet? I'm impatiently waiting for my 4xe to show up (supposedly by the end of the month now - but i've heard that before...); these reports make me feel better that I'm still driving my JK.
With my 4xe my check engine light came on after the first day of owning the vehicle. On the second day, I drove it about a mile and parked, then the car wouldn't start at all for about 10 minutes. Got it back up and running and home again. Called dealership and will bring in on Monday first thing. Not a good start

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
So just updating about my check engine light..... I think I mentioned it went on yesterday on my way home from work, a short 3 mile or so commute...

Anyways, I took the jeep for a nighttime drive and the check engine light was nowhere to be seen. Today’s drive was also flawless, the light is indeed off. Not going to take it to the dealer at this time, but obviously I will be keeping an eye out for that lamp to light up again. And the car drives fine.
Coming up on two weeks of ownership.... after that single blip of the check engine light going on, I still have yet to see it return! Keeping fingers crossed!

On a positive note, I am just now coming to 3/4 of a tank of gas..... so that means I’ve only used a quarter of a tank of gas. That’s pretty solid in my book....less time on the Costco gas line. If I only need to go once a month, I will be ecstatic!

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
I just picked my 4Xe up yesterday. I did not drive it at all today and tonight when I got in to get something out of it it said my hood was open and I would not be able to charge the car if it stayed open. I turned the Jeep on and lo and behold the check engine light came on and will not go off. I drove it around for about 5 mins and still the check engine light stays on. I have only had the thing for 48 hours. Hopefully somebody has gotten an update on their check engine issue.
Sponsored