John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Well, at least a temporary solution…

Since I am averaging under 12 MPG (seeing a therapist) and well under the typical 300 mile range most gas tanks are designed to accommodate, I needed to find a solution when in the Western outback to ensure a safe return to civilization.

While the market is preparing various options for the relatively newly released 392, there are some already great options available for the JL platform in general.

Here are some I considered:
I absolutely loved the JK AEV Fuel Caddy (10 gallons) and bumper system on my AEV built 2014 JKUR, but until this month was not available. https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/fuel-caddy/. I believe this solution is dependent on using the AEV rear bumper and is priced at almost US $3000 all in. Aside from siphoning out the gas, this is a very secure solution.

The Titan Trail Trekker II tank is another great option (10 gallons) at $400, but limits options for third brake light and rear camera which is kind of a deal breaker. https://titanfueltanks.com/products/titan-trail-trekker-ii-4040287, another very secure solution

TrailRax offers a very clean solution as well if you have a hard top without the Sky One Touch and is rated to hold up to 60lbs. This is sold in set for one side at US $450. https://www.trailrax.com/products/pak-rax-jl-2018-current. However, since I have the SOT with the removable rear panels, I am not confident the structural strength would support much more weight although the bulk of the weight would rest on the rain gutter. However, the wind load and how the removable panel attaches at the bottom with plastic plugs doesn’t inspire confidence. With the right locking mechanism, this could be a fairly secure solution.

Retrofit Offroad offers a nice Roto Pax solution if you are running up to a 35” tire, https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop/jeep-jerry-can-carriers/jeep-jl-rotopax-tailgate-hinge-mount/. Pretty reasonably priced at under US $140.

Rock Slide Engineering offers a spare tire mount with a ratchet strap and mounting surface for different accessories. https://rockslideengineering.com/product/ez-rack-kit/ US $100. This is not a very secure solution from theft. Even if you add a locking mount mechanism, a thief would just need to cut the strap.

Vector Offroad JL Exo Rack is pretty slick but requires a bit of effort if you need to remove the tire. I do like that if offers the ability to install both the third brake light and rear camera, priced at US $300. https://vectoroffroad.com/products/jl-exo-rack

There are probably other options I missed currently on the market and new ones coming. I would love to see a direct replacement of the OEM tank from Titan or others. I installed a Titan 55 gallon tank on my F250 and loved the additional range it provided over the OEM tank even when towing.

The route I went…
I installed the Rock Slide Engineering EZ Rack, two Roto Pax Deluxe mounts one for each side, and two 3.5 Gallon Fuel Pax cans as pictured (already owned one and just picked up another). Not too concerned about the added weight on the tailgate since I upgraded the hinge to the TeraFlex Alpha HD system. And it is nice to have about 7 gallons total for the 392 or someone else in need on the trail. Although I consider this the least secured solution, I only run with the fuel tanks when I am camping or staying someplace I can quickly remove and store in a safe area. I rarely run errands around town in high risk areas with the tanks installed and the whole kit removes without much effort.
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Aux Fuel System Complete IMG_1570

Note: The tanks are angled to allow access to the door handle on the driver side and to allow full tailgate articulation on passenger side.

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Aux Fuel System Complete IMG_1572

The angel allows just enough clearance on the hinge side to fully open the tail gate without body contact.
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Aux Fuel System Complete IMG_1573

Post up what you have considered and why along with pics if you have them.
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Nice write up! I’ve been looking at various solutions as well. I’ve researched all the same systems you’ve mentioned. I also found the Pak Rax from Trailrax.

There are a couple forum members that use them. The only ding I’ve seen mentioned is you might need to place some foam, or Teflon tape, between the bumper of the Pak Rax and your hardtop. They are easily removable and a big plus… you can lock the rotopax to the Pak Rax.
I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but they’re in the cart.

C7B94145-DCDA-479B-9EDF-D0251B05D8A7.jpeg

348A9573-DD4E-44B1-ACC2-B89B519F613F.jpeg

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Nice write up! I’ve been looking at various solutions as well. I’ve researched all the same systems you’ve mentioned. I also found the Pak Rax from Trailrax.

There are a couple forum members that use them. The only ding I’ve seen mentioned is you might need to place some foam, or Teflon tape, between the bumper of the Pak Rax and your hardtop. They are easily removable and a big plus… you can lock the rotopax to the Pak Rax.
I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but they’re in the cart.

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Aux Fuel System Complete 348A9573-DD4E-44B1-ACC2-B89B519F613F

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Aux Fuel System Complete 348A9573-DD4E-44B1-ACC2-B89B519F613F
I really like this option and will monitor to see how folks with a SOT respond to the Pak rax after they have had for a few miles on it. I just am not sure how well the removable rear window panel that comes with the SOT will stand up to the dynamic force applied going down the road at highway speeds with this installed.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'll probably go the AEV route front/rear. It's expensive but the rear bumper OEM steel flexes into the body and does damage, so I have to shed it anyway.

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I'll probably go the AEV route front/rear. It's expensive but the rear bumper OEM steel flexes into the body and does damage, so I have to shed it anyway.
I beat the hell out of the AEV rear bumper on the JK and it held strong. Great product and had it been available when I started my build, I would have ordered it. I might still order it after I get the 392 a little further along on its current project plan.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if works with the 392, but LRA has a 17 gallon aux under mount tank for the JLU
https://longrangeamerica.com/prod/jwjlpa/
It should be available somewhat soon at least, they were showing it off at the Offroad expo as coming soon. I'm not certain it will work with aftermarket axles.

I beat the hell out of the AEV rear bumper on the JK and it held strong. Great product and had it been available when I started my build, I would have ordered it. I might still order it after I get the 392 a little further along on its current project plan.
Love AEV's stuff. In my case my stock steel bumper messed by body up on my '19 JLUR coming off rock faces. Given I'll want extra fuel, the AEV makes perfect sense. Though I'm somewhat concerned about weight with the front/rear bumpers.

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just sent them a note to see if the JL model will tuck under the 392. Thanks for mentioning this as an option.
Check re: ground clearance loss too... there might be some.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I just sent them a note to see if the JL model will tuck under the 392. Thanks for mentioning this as an option.
Let us know what they say. I heard they were developing it, then someone in the forum said they spoke to someone at Jeep gathering and heard they weren't. I would go this way in a minute!

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I'm sure the LongRanger tank would fit, but only if you modify the exhaust. If you just went down to a single pipe system, it should fit. You'd just lose the ability to switch between quiet and fun modes.

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Let us know what they say. I heard they were developing it, then someone in the forum said they spoke to someone at Jeep gathering and heard they weren't. I would go this way in a minute!
They replied indicating they expect an offering specific to the 392 some time in 2022.

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I'm sure the LongRanger tank would fit, but only if you modify the exhaust. If you just went down to a single pipe system, it should fit. You'd just lose the ability to switch between quiet and fun modes.
Losing the "fun mode" is a mighty sacrifice, lol.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Okay I am watching this thread.

I was just about to post something. I towed for the first time and was getting 11.2 MPG. The V8 engine was incredible as far as power and torque, did not even feel like there was a trailer behind me. That's where the fun ends.

I made so many stops at the gas station, it was actually slightly annoying. I know what I was buying prior to taking delivery of the vehicle, but using it on this last trip with the trailer was eye opening to say the least. I paid $5.20 for premium fuel in Indino, CA. Absolutely bonkers!

It's not even the money that bothers me the most. Sure it would be nice if premium was cheaper, but I can live with the cost. It's more to do with range fatigue and constantly having to stop for gas that I was severely disappointed with on this last trip. The auxiliary fuel tank is exactly what I need and will opt for it as soon as it's available to order, regardless of the weight it adds.

I told my wife, I wish we could just drop in the diesel for the trips and swap back to the 392 when we get home. That would be ideal!

I am actually going to order her a 2022 and will probably opt for the diesel for the longer road trips we have planned across multiple states. For local camping, we can take the 392 but anything that is spanning 1-2 states, the diesel will be the go to.

Sorry if this was long winded as its a bit of rant. I am not ungrateful and love my 392 except for this one portion of traveling/fuel issues.

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Aux Fuel System Complete tempImage6xIS6B

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Aux Fuel System Complete tempImageMXnAXY

IMG_38E9F30F78D3-1.jpeg

IMG_8A653F59EE6C-1.jpeg