37s on xtreme recon package?

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hitting the body is doing the same thing but causing damage to the body/fenders.
Exactly! With the right lift for 37" tires and the right gap in the bump stops, you will not prematurely bottom out the stops or hit the fenders with the tires.
Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
All I am saying is that if you don't have enough lift in the coils for a larger tire, increasing the bump stop (reducing the bump stop gap) is not the right solution.
No but it doesn’t limit all the droop
You will still get. The only thing that will give you more total flex is your shock length. No matter what size springs you have. A set of long travel shocks is the ticket.
the down side of the longer bumpstop without taller springs is bottoming out on the bumpstops, nothing more.

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I'm p
Exactly! With the right lift for 37" tires and the right gap in the bump stops, you will not prematurely bottom out the stops or hit the fenders with the tires.
I'm putting a MC 3.5 gamechanger on before I go off road again. Also the factory bumpstops on the XR are super stupid, I still cannot hit the front fenders... only 1.5 inches of uptravel.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 2.5” ROck Krawler springs and MC RockSport long travel shocks. Lots of droop and enough uptravel to fill the wheel wells. Whether you have uptravel or droop matters not, as long as you have all that total travel. And that travel is enough for factory, non XR, springs to fall out of their perch’s.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No but it doesn’t limit all the droop
You will still get. The only thing that will give you more total flex is your shock length. No matter what size springs you have. A set of long travel shocks is the ticket.
the down side of the longer bumpstop without taller springs is bottoming out on the bumpstops, nothing more.
Ok, I get what you are say about the droop. I am talking about the other side of the axle. A longer coil vs getting rid of the gap in the bump stop means a taller vehicle and the further up that wheel can travel before becoming stuffed in the fender since the fender is now taller, gap between the tire and fender is larger.

Increasing the tire height without increasing the vehicle height runs the risk of hitting the fender when flexing before the bump stop bottoms out.

Jeep Wrangler JL 37s on xtreme recon package? 1662679322303

Fixing it by reducing the gap in the bump stop will prevent rubbing but limits the flex and impacts the ride quality with the small bump stop gap.

Jeep Wrangler JL 37s on xtreme recon package? 1662678611492

Preserving the bump stop gap and raising the fender by using a lift with a taller tire will alow more flex and give better ride quality by not hitting the bumpstop so early.

Jeep Wrangler JL 37s on xtreme recon package? 1662678786093

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I get what you are say about the droop. I am talking about the other side of the axle. A longer coil vs getting rid of the gap in the bump stop means a taller vehicle and the further up that wheel can travel before becoming stuffed in the fender since the fender is now taller, gap between the tire and fender is larger.
I hear yah, but you have to realize too that the end droop will still be the same whether you have regular springs or tall springs. Your travel/flex is exactly the same, the only thing different is the resting place (sitting height) All the tall springs do is give you more height/bumpstop space, no more.
In short the only thing that limits your suspension travel is your shock length. If you have less uptravel you will have more down travel(droop). If you have more uptravel you have less droop.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear yah, but you have to realize too that the end droop will still be the same whether you have regular springs or tall springs. Your travel/flex is exactly the same, the only thing different is the resting place (sitting height) All the tall springs do is give you more height/bumpstop space, no more.
In short the only thing that limits your suspension travel is your shock length. If you have less uptravel you will have more down travel(droop). If you have more uptravel you have less droop.
see my edited comment above with the sketches

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
see my edited comment above with the sketches
I see your sketches, but your missing my point. Spring height doesn’t affect “total flex” . Flex is the combination of both. Droop is as important as uptravel or more so. The issue of limiting up travel is more of an IFS issue where they have very limited droop due to short control arms and shocks. Not a SFA issue.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see your sketches, but your missing my point. Spring height doesn’t affect “total flex” . Flex is the combination of both. Droop is as important as uptravel or more so. The issue of limiting up travel is more of an IFS issue where they have very limited droop due to short control arms and shocks. Not a SFA issue.
The origin of my comment was about why it is better idea to lift a jeep than reduce the bump stop gap when larger tires are rubbing. As far as total flex, I guarantee than an XR with 37s and a 2"-3" lift will go further on an RTI ramp than a stock XR lift with 37s and reduced bump stop gap.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The origin of my comment was about why it is better idea to lift a jeep than reduce the bump stop gap when larger tires are rubbing. As far as total flex, I guarantee than an XR with 37s and a 2"-3" lift will go further on an RTI ramp than a stock XR lift with 37s and reduced bump stop gap.
And I will guarantee you that a stock XR with long travel shocks will do better on the RTI ramp then one with a 2-3”
Lift and regular lift shocks. Again it’s not just about uptravel, it’s total travel.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I will guarantee you that a stock XR with long travel shocks will do better on the RTI ramp then one with a 2-3”
Lift and regular lift shocks. Again it’s not just about uptravel, it’s total travel.
I don't think the XR comes with long travel shocks. So, what you are saying is that if a person has a stock XR and 37" tires are rubbing, they should reduce the gap in the bump stops and add long travel shocks before considering a lift kit (that comes with longer coil springs, longer shocks, and a normal bump stop gap)?

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the XR comes with long travel shocks. So, what you are saying is that if a person has a stock XR and 37" tires are rubbing, they should reduce the gap in the bump stops and add long travel shocks before considering a lift kit (that comes with longer coil springs, longer shocks, and a normal bump stop gap)?
No what I am saying is the XR has an appropriate amount of bumpstop as is for 37s to clear the fenders without rubbing. You don’t need more bumpstop. It doesn’t have a whole lot of uptravel, I agree, but has lots of droop (remember the XR still has more flex then the Bronco). Adding long travel shocks will give it even more droop.
If you have a regular Rubicon you have to keep adding bumpstops until you get enough bumpstop to stop the tires from rubbing under flex and so the shocks don’t bottom out. That’s what bumpstops are for. Adding lift springs have nothing todo with tire rub on the fenders or shocks bottoming out. Whether you have 1”, 2” 3” or 6” lift bumpstops are set up for tire size and minimum shock length. But on a regular Rubicon you don’t have enough overall height to run 37” tires on the road so you do need both springs as well as extended bumpstops.
BTW lift shocks don’t necessarily have long travel. Their travel may very well be the same as stock but their compressed length is longer then stock as is their extended length and they are expected to be run with longer bumpstops …
Sponsored