Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Everyone I have tested has it.
Some are worse than others, but they all have it. This makes wonder how can it be more on some and less on others. I really don't know what the problem is, but sure do want a fix fast.
Mine can not hold speed with even using CC or ACC ( mine 2019 ). The speed does not make any difference anymore. It's all the time and I think getting worse. I have a 4-5 mph variation on flat ground at any speed. It's real fun on the freeway, set @ 60 and watch it go all the way up to 65 then back on 56-57. It starts surging giving it more gas ( speeds up slowly ) then goes oh crap I'm speeding and coasts down.

I wish this could put up on a sticky, as I'm starting to see this kind of question asked in other threads. Mostly the manual guys are bringing it up.
Sponsored

Nicholas6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just began to notice this same thing today. 18 JLU Sport with auto, 22,000 miles. Very noticeable in 7th gear at lower RPM. Will be making an appointment at dealer, but based on this thread it doesn’t sound like there’s much to be done.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Everyone I have tested has it.
Some are worse than others, but they all have it. This makes wonder how can it be more on some and less on others. I really don't know what the problem is, but sure do want a fix fast.
Mine can not hold speed with even using CC or ACC ( mine 2019 ). The speed does not make any difference anymore. It's all the time and I think getting worse. I have a 4-5 mph variation on flat ground at any speed. It's real fun on the freeway, set @ 60 and watch it go all the way up to 65 then back on 56-57. It starts surging giving it more gas ( speeds up slowly ) then goes oh crap I'm speeding and coasts down.

I wish this could put up on a sticky, as I'm starting to see this kind of question asked in other threads. Mostly the manual guys are bringing it up.
I can only speak on the six speed manual side of things, but I would say yours sounds like a cruise control issue. However, if it is happening all the time, there has to be other issues. Dealer time!

OP
OP
Kevin Mojito

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From my local dealer, just keep making FCA aware of it. Hope for a STAR update.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Mine does some similar symptoms but the more drive the better it gets , almost like it’s learnering. take the same offramp and now touch the brake feels like a kind of downshift and helps me stop using the trans not the brakes I kind a like it.

Sponsored

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR
I have a 2019 with 800 miles and notice if I hit the gas fairly hard it shifts up fine, but when I ease the gas pedal, it has a hard time downshifting at what one would think is normal rate. It is “holding” on to a higher gear too long. Same when going ~ 25 mph - feels like transmission braking when it shouldn’t.

I read on some other thread that the transmission develops a memory as you drive it. Don’t know if this is true or a factor here...

OP
OP
Kevin Mojito

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it has something like that.
I had the batteries disconnected this weekend, for about 1 hour. Got my work done, drove it today and it was a bunch better. I did not want to say this yet, as we are having 25+mph winds.

If anyone wants to try just pulling the grounds off for an hour and see if it helps? Let's hear any luck or not.

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I had the batteries disconnected this weekend, for about 1 hour. Got my work done, drove it today and it was a bunch better. I did not want to say this yet, as we are having 25+mph winds.

If anyone wants to try just pulling the grounds off for an hour and see if it helps? Let's hear any luck or not.
Interesting. I will certainly try this.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mine surges when braking, right before coming to a stop. The RPMs jump up a little then it stops and they drop. I can feel the lurch. Doesn't bother me enough yet to take it in

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR

If you pull off the battery for that long, do you have to reset any other settings when you reconnect or does it remember the various settings on the vehicle?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevin Mojito

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you pull off the battery for that long, do you have to reset any other settings when you reconnect or does it remember the various settings on the vehicle?
It all saved. The radio ( 8.4 ) looked for a security code? It did it all by itself.

Wish I had more to add, but we have been hit hard with snow. To hard to tell what's good with the snow on the road.

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR
It all saved. The radio ( 8.4 ) looked for a security code? It did it all by itself.

Wish I had more to add, but we have been hit hard with snow. To hard to tell what's good with the snow on the road.

Good to know that the radio found its own security code. Let us know how the transmission is working once you get dry roads.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
i will concur with the group, i too have a surge-y 6 speed with 1300 miles on it.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you having this issue, are you disabling ESS? I did a test driving with and without ESS. When ESS is on, it never surges. When it is off, it does it almost every time. I think the fix for most is to simply use the ESS system as it was designed. I was going to disable it with my Tazer but my results have changed my mind. Now I'm just getting used to driving with it on

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
For those of you having this issue, are you disabling ESS? I did a test driving with and without ESS. When ESS is on, it never surges. When it is off, it does it almost every time. I think the fix for most is to simply use the ESS system as it was designed. I was going to disable it with my Tazer but my results have changed my mind. Now I'm just getting used to driving with it on
I leave ESS on as I have a manual transmission and can control it with the clutch. I still have surging at low throttle input.
Sponsored