Sponsored

3.6 with/without E torque

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
What battery tender do you use?

My 2020 JLUR is also not a daily driver, and 10 months into owning it both batteries failed and had to be replaced (I have the 3.6 without etorque). Mine was a custom order, so it was not sitting on the lot for any amount of time. That episode has made me consider battery tenders but I am only at the beginning of my research.
A battery maintainer/charger is a good idea.

Here is a link to some reviews. Personally I like the NOCO brand but they will all do the job. Costco has/had a Duracell smart charger for $30 as recently as a month ago. I bought one for a scooter and it works great.

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/28355/best-battery-maintainers
Sponsored

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
OK, all you gear heads have me confused!
Easily done at my age :LOL:

I have a 2020, Rubicon with : 3.6L V6 24V VVT engine Upg I w/ESS

so what is Upg I w/ESS? what does it do? is it good or not so? Is this Etorque?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I do not have the e torque but went through this same thing when I was looking. Depends on how you will use the vehicle as others have said. I read in some of those posts about the e torque that it does not have an alternator to charge the batteries! The charging system is done through other means.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i love my 3.6 with out e-torque ive had its for a year and about 9 months its never not started but if i leave it sitting more than a week ill put it on the battery tender for 24 hrs before attempting to start it. and when i drive it its typically on 200-600 mile trips

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You have ESS not eTorque. Both engines and both ESS and eTorque are fine. Just different driving dynamics and different way to try saving gas for the EPA. Both have a warranty.

Very simplistic explanation.

ESS has 2 batteries. ESS has traditional starter and larger main battery and a smaller motorcycle size battery for the ESS system. The ESS is a Start/Stop system that turns off the engine at stops to save gas. It automatically restarts the engine when you lift off the gas pedal. You have the option of turning off the Start/Stop feature by pushing the button on the dash every time you start it the first time.

eTorque has a main battery and a larger hybrid battery underneath the vehicle with additional cooing lines and a belt driven generator that charges the batteries. Via a belt the generator also assist in getting off the line at start up by assisting with extra torque.

I would not over think it. Just make sure you don't drain your batteries. It's a good idea to use a batter conditioner/charger if you don't drive for extended periods of time. This is a good idea for any vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
To further the explanation, a Belt Start Generator is actually a combination of an Alternator and a Starter in one package. It's just called a Belt Start Generator because someone decided to call it that.

In Jeep's wiring diagrams they refer to the alternators as "generators", presumably to simplify the flow chart and account for the fact that the alternators are a special subset of generators, and they have an onboard rectification system that converts the alternating current that the alternator produces into the direct current the vehicles' systems utilize.

It may be useful to keep this in mind, because an actual generator has a differing architecture and more importantly does not provide the benefit that inspired the use of alternators for generating direct current. An alternator is relatively small in size, relatively efficient at producing power, and can easily present varying degrees of resistance to the engine as the electrical system requires more or needs less energy. The effect of resistance, and the result on power output is controlled by charging the magnetic field in the alternator. In Jeep parlance it use a "Generator Sensor", a "Generator Field Control", and the "Intelligent Battery Sensor", to optimize the production of electricity while maintaining fuel efficiency. A generator can do these things but the assemblies are larger, and the power is produced less efficiently.

So, both types of systems use Alternators, even though one is popularly described with the term "generator".

Additionally both systems provide Engine Start Stop functionality, although one has been called ESS while the other is called e-Torque. As has been mentioned one starts the engine with a tradtional starter while the other provides a sort of push start that propels the vehicle just before it causes the engine to come to life.

The benefit of the Belt Start Generator is that when your starter goes bad, you will get a fresh alternator at the same time. Or when your alternator goes bad you will get a new starter. There is no more waiting 10's of thousands of miles for the other to break down while you are worrying if you should have replaced a perfectly good starter, or a perfectly good alternator just in case it was about to go bad at the same time that its counterpart needed service.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
You have ESS not eTorque. Both engines and both ESS and eTorque are fine. Just different driving dynamics and different way to try saving gas for the EPA. Both have a warranty.

Very simplistic explanation.

ESS has 2 batteries. ESS has traditional starter and larger main battery and a smaller motorcycle size battery for the ESS system. The ESS is a Start/Stop system that turns off the engine at stops to save gas. It automatically restarts the engine when you lift off the gas pedal. You have the option of turning off the Start/Stop feature by pushing the button on the dash every time you start it the first time.

eTorque has a main battery and a larger hybrid battery underneath the vehicle with additional cooing lines and a belt driven generator that charges the batteries. Via a belt the generator also assist in getting off the line at start up by assisting with extra torque.

I would not over think it. Just make sure you don't drain your batteries. It's a good idea to use a batter conditioner/charger if you don't drive for extended periods of time. This is a good idea for any vehicle.
Howdy Viper88, thanks for your reply and explanation.
Yes, mine does start and stop when i stop for a bit of time. So far it is only annoying now and then. If I turn off the feature, will that extend the life of the small battery?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Howdy Viper88, thanks for your reply and explanation.
Yes, mine does start and stop when i stop for a bit of time. So far it is only annoying now and then. If I turn off the feature, will that extend the life of the small battery?
There are definitely other articles and post that explain the ESS system MUCH better then I did. My explanation is really simplistic and VERY basic.

I am not sure if turning ESS off will extend the ice of the small battery? As far as replacement. The small battery does not cost much but is a pain to get to.

Either engine, either eTorque or ESS, I'd use a charger if not driven regularly.

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

“Upg 1” is “Upgrade 1” referencing the 3.6 being the 2nd Generation Pentastar

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
2019 Sahara with 2.0 Turbo here. 20K trouble free miles here, daily driver. I’ll be in Colorado in two weeks for vacation and 4 wheeling my favorite mountain passes.

I see no need to disable the ESS as I drive it and forget about it. It’s really seamless. Besides, you’ll learn that there is a sweet spot in the braking that allows the motor to keep running while stopped. Press a bit more and yep, it will power down. I have noticed that after so many engagements, ESS stops applying. It has never been a problem off road. I don’t recall it ever engaging while in low range and/or 4 wheel drive. I’m Command-Trac, btw.

All this fuss over technology reminds me of the whining about fuel injection and power windows back in the 60’s. It’s just science. Plan for it and move on...
Sponsored