Sponsored

260 HP / 442 TQ

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
It WOULD be rated at 30mpg if they tuned it right. My wife's GC ecodiesel got 26mpg stock. The best we ever got stock was 27.1. If you are going to get the diesel, you will want to get it tuned to kill the EGR and eliminate soot build up. Without it, you can expect to spend a lot of money over time getting soot buildup cleaned. With the Green Diesel Engineering tune, we get 33-35mpg on long highway trips. Day to day driving gives about 21.5-23mpg. The tune disables EGR and a lot of other "clean" crap so the engine performs much better. The engine is a dog without the tune.

I think a lot of people are under the perception that the diesel is going to save them money. I think they will be shocked to discover that is not the case. I'm guessing the diesel is going to be AT LEAST a $4500 option and when you add $2000 for the auto transmission, it's pricey. The diesel also is more costly maintenance-wise as well. If you are someone who pays to have your oil changed, expect $150+ for oil changes as thats what most shops seem to charge to do it on the diesel. The diesel also uses DEF so you have to monitor its level. Its about $800 to get the engine tuned to make it last. Also, you'll find that not every Jeep dealership will be able to work on it. The dealership we bought ours from did not have a diesel mechanic so we had to go a bit farther if work is needed on it. I like the ecodiesel, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably have just gotten the V8.
Key phrase there is that you'd have gotten the V8. Without a V8 option in the JL, the Eco Diesel is your next best bet for Hemi-like torque numbers while still delivering 3.6 Penstar-like HP and 4cyl mileage. It seems like the best of all worlds and that's why I want it. Although, I might be singing a different tune when trying to find a diesel station.

I agree that it probably doesn't save you any money at the pump unless you're only driving highway and find cheap diesel stations.

For me it's more about the added power and range. If it got 5mpg better on the trail, that'd extend your range by about the same amount as an extra 10 gallons of gas.
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Key phrase there is that you'd have gotten the V8. Without a V8 option in the JL, the Eco Diesel is your next best bet for Hemi-like torque numbers while still delivering 3.6 Penstar-like HP and 4cyl mileage. It seems like the best of all worlds and that's why I want it. Although, I might be singing a different tune when trying to find a diesel station.

I agree that it probably doesn't save you any money at the pump unless you're only driving highway and find cheap diesel stations.

For me it's more about the added power and range. If it got 5mpg better on the trail, that'd extend your range by about the same amount as an extra 10 gallons of gas.
A better option is to buy the 3.6 and a supercharger. Cost will likely be the same and the supercharged 6 will smoke the ecodiesel. I think people that think the ecodiesel is going to be some kind of miracle engine in the JL are going to be in for a costly surprise. The pentastar gets 30mpg highway in the Grand Cherokee with the 8 speed. I know I've driven rentals on long highway trips when our ecodiesel was in the shop. The 3.6 gets 22 in the JL supposedly. So my guess is the ecodiesel is going to get 22-24mpg in the JL. No thanks, I'd rather spend the $4500 for that option on an edelbrock supercharger for the 3.6.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
A better option is to buy the 3.6 and a supercharger. Cost will likely be the same and the supercharged 6 will smoke the ecodiesel. I think people that think the ecodiesel is going to be some kind of miracle engine in the JL are going to be in for a costly surprise. The pentastar gets 30mpg highway in the Grand Cherokee with the 8 speed. I know I've driven rentals on long highway trips when our ecodiesel was in the shop. The 3.6 gets 22 in the JL supposedly. So my guess is the ecodiesel is going to get 22-24mpg in the JL. No thanks, I'd rather spend the $4500 for that option on an edelbrock supercharger for the 3.6.
Except your super charger will
  • Void Your Drivetrain Warranty
  • You will get worst gas milage then the Diesel
  • You will still not make as much TQ
  • You will have less range
and thats compared to the stock EcoDiesel ..... let alone if your ok with mods a tuned one.

Unlike the EcoDiesel the 3.6 will actually turn out worst milage then the EPA numbers. Trust me as my JKU gets a combined 13 MPG with my 35s. HWY is roughly 16 MPG and around town 10MPG. The diesel will not nearly be as affected by mods. So if you plan on modifying your JL with bigger tires, heavy steel bumpers, swing out tire carriers, winch, etc you have to take in all the added weight into account.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except your super charger will
  • Void Your Drivetrain Warranty
  • You will get worst gas milage then the Diesel
  • You will still not make as much TQ
  • You will have less range
and thats compared to the stock EcoDiesel ..... let alone if your ok with mods a tuned one.

Unlike the EcoDiesel the 3.6 will actually turn out worst milage then the EPA numbers. Trust me as my JKU gets a combined 13 MPG with my 35s. HWY is roughly 16 MPG and around town 10MPG. The diesel will not nearly be as affected by mods. So if you plan on modifying your JL with bigger tires, heavy steel bumpers, swing out tire carriers, winch, etc you have to take in all the added weight into account.

Superchargers don't affect mileage unless you are using that extra HP. Edelbrock supplements your powertrain warranty with their own so you are covered if there are problems.
The ecodiesel will probably get the same mileage as the 3.6l.
At $300 per oil change for the diesel (dealer service for oil change and fuel filter) it's a much more cost effective solution. I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee ecodiesel. The engine, stock, went from 22mpg to 19mpg when we lifted our GC and went to 33" tires. What do you think will happen to the aerodynamic BRICK of a JL when you go to 35" tires? It won't get better than 19mpg if the GC gets 19...ours tuned gets 22mpg day to day driving. If you hypermile it, you can get 26 day to day.

This is way more aerodynamic than a JL...

untitled-9644-X3.jpg

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
NOPE never. The new 3.6L isn't really any different then the one I have in my JKU with the exception of the start stop tech. As I stated above I get a combined 13 MPG with 35s ..... there is ZERO chance that will be the case with the Diesel. The Cummings in the 2500 gets better milage then that with 40s on it.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NOPE never. The new 3.6L isn't really any different then the one I have in my JKU with the exception of the start stop tech. As I stated above I get a combined 13 MPG with 35s ..... there is ZERO chance that will be the case with the Diesel. The Cummings in the 2500 gets better milage then that with 40s on it.
And the 3.6L in the Grand Cherokee gets 30mpg highway. I've rented plenty of them and know that is the case. Tell me again how the JL is going to somehow get better mileage with the 3.0L than the WK2 especially if you leave it stock?Based on experience, I just don't think it will be the case. If I thought it was the case, I might get one. It just isn't going to happen. The 3.0 is no Cummins (not Cummings).

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
And the 3.6L in the Grand Cherokee gets 30mpg highway. I've rented plenty of them and know that is the case. Tell me again how the JL is going to somehow get better mileage with the 3.0L than the WK2 especially if you leave it stock?Based on experience, I just don't think it will be the case. If I thought it was the case, I might get one. It just isn't going to happen. The 3.0 is no Cummins (not Cummings).
Dude your talking about your GEN 1 MOTOR WITHOUT THE 8 SPEED TRANS! you have NO IDEA on the GEN 2. Your also all over the place. One minute your talking about how you GC is tuned, one minute your talking about it stock. Since yours is tuned I do not take your comments as the end all be all. I have owned tons of tuned turbocharged cars so I know the real world performance is nothing like stock and when modifying them new mods can affect them in different ways compared to a stocked tuned version.

Also your GC is is going to have a different tune on it then the Wrangler would as they are different purpose vehicles. Mannley said at the Ram 1500 launch yesterday the new diesel will out perform both Ford and Chevy's new v6/I6 offerings in the 1/2 ton when it comes out later this year. Ford stated that it will get 30 MPG. So if its getting 30MPG combined in a 1500 I'm sure it will do just fine in the JL.

If you hate the diesel so much why are you trolling the diesel section? If you love the shitty V6 then go buy one, I could careless. It doesn't affect me in any way. I can just tell you as someone who has owned one for the last 5 years I would NEVER BUY IT AGAIN (its just a crappy as Toyotas boring V6 in the 4Runner and Tacoma) . If I was shopping for a JL (which I'm not as I want the Scrambler instead) I would buy the Turbo 4 over the V6 any day.

Also I know its a Cummins and not a Cummings I'm dyslexic hence the signature.

EDIT: Also you even stated 19MPG for your Grand Cherokee on 33s thats a HELL of a lot better then my 10MPG around town or 13 MPG combined.

kcjl

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC CRD
Superchargers don't affect mileage unless you are using that extra HP. Edelbrock supplements your powertrain warranty with their own so you are covered if there are problems.
At $300 per oil change for the diesel (dealer service for oil change and fuel filter) it's a much more cost effective solution. I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee ecodiesel. The engine, stock, went from 22mpg to 19mpg when we lifted our GC and went to 33" tires. What do you think will happen to the aerodynamic BRICK of a JL when you go to 35" tires? It won't get better than 19mpg if the GC gets 19...ours tuned gets 22mpg day to day driving. If you hypermile it, you can get 26 day to day.

This is way more aerodynamic than a JL...

untitled-9644-X3.jpg

No experience with the 3.6, but I do have a 2014 GC diesel and I have no idea how you only got 22mpg stock unless you drive like a mad man. I would also either find a different dealer for your oil changes, or do it yourself. $300 is crazy and I can do it myself in 10 min for like $85 in filter and oil cost.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DUDE, WTF are you talking about? The Grand Cherokee has the same 8 speed transmission the JL has. It's had it since 2014!! You clearly haven't researched the topic. I don't hate the ecodiesel, I like it. I'm just trying to add a dose of realism from folks who think they are going to see 28-30mpg in the JL because most likely they won't. The main change between the Gen 2 and Gen 1 of the diesel is going to be the tune. Physically, the engine is mostly going to be the same. The Gen 2 engine has to have a tune to make it emissions compliant. I had our ecodiesel in the shop yesterday for it's oil change/fuel system maintenance and spoke with the diesel mechanic, who has had the updated training. The primary difference is the tune only (and some possible changes to the mass air sensor no longer being in a silicon housing). According to him, the Gen 2 will produce a bit more power at about 1mpg better than the gen 1. I'm just pointing out that the if the same 3.6 that is in the JK and giving you 13mpg gets 26-30 in the Grand Cherokee, the JL is naturally going to see significantly worse mileage than the GC with the ecodiesel. I'm speaking based on my ecodiesel vs my jk. My ecodiesel is tuned but I spent 13K miles with it stock and stock it got 22mpg day to day and about 28 if you kept it at 65 on the highway. Like I said I love our Grand Cherokee ecodiesel, but it costs a lot more to operate than the gas engine due mainly MUCH higher maintenance costs. It has great torque which obviously will carry over to the JL, but you aren't going to see a huge increase in mileage since the aerodynamics are the biggest factor in the JL...

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No experience with the 3.6, but I do have a 2014 GC diesel and I have no idea how you only got 22mpg stock unless you drive like a mad man. I would also either find a different dealer for your oil changes, or do it yourself. $300 is crazy and I can do it myself in 10 min for like $85 in filter and oil cost.
How do you figure? The Shell Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic oil is about $80 for 10.5 quarts. The oil filter runs $30. The fuel filter (which must be changed at each oil change) is $20+. Thats $130 changing it YOURSELF... 10 Minutes? I'm guessing you haven't actually done it before. It takes at least 45 minutes for the last 2 quarts to drain from the engine. If you are doing an oil change in 10 minutes you are leaving a lot of old oil in the engine. Again, it holds 10.5 quarts of synthetic 5w40 diesel oil...takes longer than 10 mins. Changing the fuel filter can be done in 10 minutes, if you like drinking a bit of diesel as it falls on your face...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Like I said I love our Grand Cherokee ecodiesel, but it costs a lot more to operate than the gas engine due mainly MUCH higher maintenance costs. It has great torque which obviously will carry over to the JL, but you aren't going to see a huge increase in mileage since the aerodynamics are the biggest factor in the JL...
I'm not expecting to get 30mpg. But if that's the EPA estimate, than it's safe to assume it'll beat the 18mpg highway my JKUR averages. Breaking the 20s with 37s and a lift would be great. More torque, less downshifting, an 8spd auto and marginally better aerodynamics should improve the highway mileage a decent bit over the JKUR.

Being belt driven, superchargers usually do have a parasitic draw on the fuel economy even when you're not dipping into it. I'm interested in the torque and range over the 3.6L not really cost benefit analysis. I also only do 2 oil changes a year and do them myself. So I the dealer cost of an oil change doesn't bother me. (Kind of cool that you change the fuel filter at each oil change. Probably a similar benefit to running a 2-stage fuel filter without the hassle of modifying it). The dealers also charge $500 for diff oil changes that cost $30 to do yourself. My philosophy is that if you're wheeling your Jeep, you should be doing your own maintenance ahead of schedule to prevent problems, catch them early, and to gain the experience needed to repair things yourself in the back country.

kcjl

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC CRD
How do you figure? The Shell Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic oil is about $80 for 10.5 quarts. The oil filter runs $30. The fuel filter (which must be changed at each oil change) is $20+. Thats $130 changing it YOURSELF... 10 Minutes? I'm guessing you haven't actually done it before. It takes at least 45 minutes for the last 2 quarts to drain from the engine. If you are doing an oil change in 10 minutes you are leaving a lot of old oil in the engine. Again, it holds 10.5 quarts of synthetic 5w40 diesel oil...takes longer than 10 mins. Changing the fuel filter can be done in 10 minutes, if you like drinking a bit of diesel as it falls on your face...

The engine actually takes 8 quarts of oil, and the synthetic mobil 1 I bought for $105 for a case of 12 comes out to $69.30 for 8 quarts. The fuel filters were a 4 pack for $62, or $15.50 per. That's $85.

I also don't count the time I am doing other things waiting for the oil to drain. That's stupid. The actual procedure itself is rather quick. Unscrewing the plug takes 1 min to crawl under and do it. Switching out the filter is 5 min. Replacing the plug and filling 8qts is another 5.

I consider the fuel filter, although needing changed every 30K miles, not part of the oil change itself. Changing the oil is the oil change. Yes there is additional cost there periodically, and if you get fuel all over the place you are doing it wrong.

kcjl

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC CRD
Can you use commonly available DEF like what they use at Autozone? It seemed pretty cheap.
I’ve used DEF from the truck stop if I’m on a highway and think about it, but mostly I use the brand sold at Walmart. I have had no issues either way. I know that some diesels have been finicky. Luckily mine has not.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the tune, it'll use water. It's no longer required other than to fool the system.
Sponsored