First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I expect more nanny features. My 2019 JLUR came with a backup camera I didn’t need (but don't mind) and “auto-park“, a new and irritating level of government intervention to save me from myself. Maybe the 23s will get an automatic ignition disable until you post a travel plan detailing where you’ll be driving? Or a helmet that will be issued with the jeep with directions that you should wear it all the time — even when not driving? Maybe a nomex fire retardant suit you can don when you fuel the jeep? The possibilities are endless — and they're all expensive.
I'm still hoping to opt out of seat belts or antilock braking. Those damn obtrusive government options. Actually, pile on the safety features - I'm no Luddite. :)

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I'm still hoping to opt out of seat belts or antilock braking. Those damn obtrusive government options. Actually, pile on the safety features - I'm no Luddite. :)
Really don't mind the new safety features (too much) when they're actually working correctly. Besides being rather flaky and unreliable, just had my '21 Mazda's advanced safety tech completely crap out a week ago. Only 5,000 miles, and the forward sensor for auto-braking and adaptive cruise control, and the side lane departure sensors suddenly stopped working all at once.

Never once had an ABS, stability control, airbag or seatbelt failure in my lifetime (not that it doesn't happen). Just more shit to go wrong.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
:CWL:

I love anti-lock brakes. I switched to a BMW motorcycle in 1991, because ABS made sense to me, though it certainly wasn't mandated. I've always worn a helmet for the same reason.

Do I need automatic braking as I approach my mailbox, or loud dinging alarms to advise me I'm in gear with my e-brake on, or my jeep slamming into park if my door is ajar as I back the ball under the trailer hitch? Not so much. But then I don't need spring-loaded, half-twist, dual dip-stick nozzles on my gas cans either. For the first twenty-plus years I was filling mowers, tillers, and minibikes I just pinched the gas can hose, as my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather did before me. We spilled nary a drop until the government came to our rescue. Now I make sure to fill such things up outside the barn -- because I don't want the inevitable spill to be inside the building.

I guess I'm of the generation and mindset that favors personal responsibility and choice, at least to the extent that my choices don't adversely impact others. I gather there must be many, many others who prefer to have the government make all their choices for them, or we wouldn't be in this predicament.

My question for you is, "Why aren't you wearing your helmet when you go to the store in your jeep? Mandating that would save a LOT more lives than autopark.

Last edited:

Esco

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
I just found out I can still order a 2022 Willys Unlimited but cannot get the dual top group. Its either a soft top or hard top. Given its so close to 2023 orders opening up, I am leaning toward waiting to order. I know the prices will go up…thats happening routinely on everything. But what meaningful changes can we expect in 2023 if any? Thank you
Well I ordered my Willy’s in Feb of 22 and it won’t be built until 7/19…so if you order plan on waiting awhile.

Esco

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Or, you could order a ‘22 with the hard top and add the soft top later. At this point it still might roll over to being a ‘23.

I ordered a ‘22 last month hoping that it will get built before the end of this tax year.
I ordered my 22 in Feb…not being built until 7/19

Sponsored

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Well I ordered my Willy’s in Feb of 22 and it won’t be built until 7/19…so if you order plan on waiting awhile.
WHATEVER you do if you might want both tops, ORDER THE HARDTOP. I ordered a soft top and then changed my mind a couple days later but could not change my order at that point. First you have to buy a hardtop $1500 - $2000 for a black one. You have to buy parts and install the kits so the freedom panels will lock properly ($100), and then you have to buy the cable to get to the defroster/Wiper to work and to get the wiper fluid to the back. Then unless you can install the cable (easy at the back of the top), it is really complicated to hook up the other end. The steering wheel has to come of and the clockspring assembly has to be replaced among other things. I have called several people and they tell it it will cost $2000 to get the wiper/defroster etc to work, including the cable price. This process will cost you at least twice as much as the black hardtop ($1695)...

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Same response for me yesterday on my 12/14 JLUXR order….unbelievable!!
Makes me glad I found one almost exactly how I would of speed on it way to a dealer near me... just threw down s deposit and I get it in 10 days

tnkaren68

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Compass upgrading to JLU
Ok since I’ve never ordered before and dealt with this ordering bank, I have questions.
(Disclosure -ordering through Gupton & originally going to put order in 10/1/22 for Sport S.)
1 - How does this work now? I still email him to order and get on list - correct?
2 - When will solid prices be available?
3 - Given previous history, when will production start? Best guess.
(I know subject to this whole supply chain crap shoot)
4 - If you have been through this process before, under NORMAL circumstances, how long did you get your vehicle after production starts?
Thank you for your time.

tnkaren68

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Compass upgrading to JLU
Ok since I’ve never ordered before and dealt with this ordering bank, I have questions.
(Disclosure -ordering through Gupton & originally going to put order in 10/1/22 for Sport S.)
1 - How does this work now? I still email him to order and get on list - correct?
2 - When will solid prices be available?
3 - Given previous history, when will production start? Best guess.
(I know subject to this whole supply chain crap shoot)
4 - If you have been through this process before, under NORMAL circumstances, how long did you get your vehicle after production starts?
Thank you for your time.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
Oh I know, but earlier order typically makes it more likely. Nothing is guaranteed though. I reserved a Bronco July 15, 2020, waited 611 days, then decided to order a Jeep. Took 48 days.

You never know!
You made the right choice. I still wouldn't touch one of those with the proverbial 10' pole until they get their laundry list of issues ironed out. It would be nice if parts were available too.
Sponsored