2021 Rubicon wandering

PNW_JL

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Cool! A 2021 post (since the TSB only lists 2018-2020)!

I too, have a 2021 in service (after a 2 week wait of dealing with steering pulling to the right - a lot of left correction). After 3 hours, service dept confirmed that my JLUR "has a bad steering box and will be replaced under warranty."
I tried lowering tire air pressures as recommended both on here and FB group, steering was slightly better but I still had a lot of correcting to do.
My local service dept has been good thus far, but we'll see what the outcome (repair and customer service) is. I'm in base Dodge Challenger in the interim.

@JeepCares
Sponsored

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I dropped the tire pressure from the crazy 43 it had from the factory down to 35 then 32. Seemed to help some but still wanders quite a bit. Need to chalk test it.
Mine came with 43-45 I dropped to the 38 on the door and I can take my hands off the wheel at any speed and it runs straight as an arrow. Knock on wood.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Even if we don’t have the steering issues on a 2021 rubicon, is it still beneficial to upgrade to the mopar Lca’s? Will it promote better tire wear over the long term with the better caster angle?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Even if we don’t have the steering issues on a 2021 rubicon, is it still beneficial to upgrade to the mopar Lca’s? Will it promote better tire wear over the long term with the better caster angle?
Download an angle finder at the app store and check your caster - five minute no tools/no lift job. If it's below 6 degrees (yours will likely be 4.5-5.0) you should benefit from the longer LCAs.

That's why I bitched a few posts ago - it's an obvious shortsight to use the same LCAs as on the shorter Sports/Saharas.

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Mine came with 43-45 I dropped to the 38 on the door and I can take my hands off the wheel at any speed and it runs straight as an arrow. Knock on wood.
I did the same. Wish I could say mine would drive straight as an arrow. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
chadk77

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
Since posting this, I’ve got around 5k miles on my new Rubicon. I think where the coil springs have broken in it’s driving noticeably better. There is still some wander but I feel sure when I lift it and get the caster adjusted some more it will be fine but I agree that this should NOT be an issue coming straight from the factory.

If the 392 drives like mine did new good luck keeping that thing on the road.

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
I just ordered the Lower Control arms and that will be this weekends mod.

OP
OP
chadk77

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
I just ordered the Lower Control arms and that will be this weekends mod.
What kind did you get? I’ve been looking at Core 4x4 and Metalcloak front adjustable LCAs.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just took delivery of my 2021 JLUR yesterday from Southern California and drove it back up to the Bay Area.

Initially it was very difficult to stay within a lane. I eventually lowered the tire pressure a bit and that seemed to provide a slight improvement. Still plan to take it into the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at (along with an oil leak that I discovered when I went to check on it this morning).

My previous 2017 JKU with a 2.5” lift on 33s tracked straight as an arrow on the freeway.
Have you been able to visit your dealership yet, Wolfparty? If not, we suggest doing so at your earliest convenience. If you would like any assistance from our team, please reach out!

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
chadk77

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
I took mine to the dealership and the technician "did not feel that anything was wrong and did not notice the wandering". I laughed at the guy when he told me that because the tech must have driven it on the only smooth road in Virginia wherever that is. I ordered the longer Mopar LCAs and just got them today. Hoping that will help while it's still stock until I get a Metalcloak lift and put under it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I took mine to the dealership and the technician "did not feel that anything was wrong and did not notice the wandering". I laughed at the guy when he told me that because the tech must have driven it on the only smooth road in Virginia wherever that is. I ordered the longer Mopar LCAs and just got them today. Hoping that will help while it's still stock until I get a Metalcloak lift and put under it.
Look forward to hearing your impressions after the LCA install, think you'll be in a good place :)

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Just took delivery of my wife's 2021 $60K Rubicon and this wandering is very noticeable at Interstate/Highway speeds. My wife is not very happy about this and now I got to deal with her and the dealer. Is there a recall or service number I can give the dealer service shop for this issue?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just took delivery of my wife's 2021 $60K Rubicon and this wandering is very noticeable at Interstate/Highway speeds. My wife is not very happy about this and now I got to deal with her and the dealer. Is there a recall or service number I can give the dealer service shop for this issue?
The first thing to do is lower tire pressure. The dealer usually airs tires up in mid 40s.
Sponsored